Notices

cracked elbows and bruised knees

Old 04-24-2012, 11:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

cracked elbows and bruised knees

hello, I am three days sober and just plain sick and tired of being sick and tired. 40 years old and been hooked since my first beer at 13. Its been bad from the start but the last ten years have taken me to the bottom over and over again. I feel determined to stop but have to admit I know nothing about living without drinking. pretty scary feeling
Old 04-25-2012, 12:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
dude in recovery

40 here.. and my 30s really went down hard as well.
At about 35 is when I went beyond dealing with the typical hangovers as they used to be and the real hell started. I was lucky to have a nice place\home to detox at, I isolated myself with lots of tea to drink, AA speaker recordings and reading the Big Book too. Seeing a doctor or getting into a facility might be the best thing to do, I kinda feel dumb for chancing it on my own.
You have to break the chains and change your lifestyle, at seven months sober now I look & feel so much healthier and get out of the house every now and then just not to bars and such.
Good Luck to you, Get (and stay) serious about quitting and keep reading\posting.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Keep going bad, good luck x
Old 04-25-2012, 12:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
instant

There is a better way of living. Getting there and staying there can take some work and new skills. Humans find learning easy if tuned in to it. I am glad you found us.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

I would recommend that you get the benefit of the experience of a group of folks who have done this before you. There’s a group that really knows the ropes. As a group, they have experienced just about every possible situation both while drinking and while sober. They regularly share their experience, their strength and their hope at their meetings and they meet regularly all over the world. It costs nothing to join their organization. They have only one requirement for membership. No dues or fees, just a desire not to drink. They generally welcome new people, with open arms (it’s not uncommon to hear them say openly that new people are the most important persons at a meeting).

The down side…………… they are all alcoholics, and they rarely use last names. They are sort of a secret society and prefer to remain anonymous.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi badatbooze

I was 40 when I gave up too...I'd been an all day everyday drinker for 5 years or so...

I had no idea how to live sober...but I trusted the ppl here when they told me I could do it...and I did day by day.

It was a lot of work - and hard sometimes...especially in the beginning but no harder than the drinking life I was living really...and I had a ton of support here.

If I could do it - you can too - you're among friends here

D
Old 04-25-2012, 03:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to the family!
Old 04-25-2012, 06:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome to SR!

Glad you are here!
Old 04-25-2012, 10:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

day4

Thank you all for the comments they made me feel good. They also made my eyes leak a bit. I am glad i stumbled on this site. I am looking forward to feeling good for a change. Hope I can start sleeping at night
Old 04-25-2012, 10:48 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome bad..you will get alot of help here..we all know what your going through :-) sober life is fresh and clean and so much easier than being tied up in the chains of alcohol..take it one step at a time and call for help from us if and when you need it :-) lau x
Old 04-25-2012, 10:55 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
So it goes

Welcome
The thing we all tell you , but you have to experience to believe, is it is better to be sober
Old 04-25-2012, 12:03 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by badatbooze View Post
hello, I am three days sober and just plain sick and tired of being sick and tired. 40 years old and been hooked since my first beer at 13. Its been bad from the start but the last ten years have taken me to the bottom over and over again. I feel determined to stop but have to admit I know nothing about living without drinking. pretty scary feeling
I was 45 when I sobered up through the fellowship of Alcoholics Anonymous.
My story was just like yours....

All the best.

Bob R
Old 04-25-2012, 12:08 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BillyPilgrim View Post
Welcome
The thing we all tell you , but you have to experience to believe, is it is better to be sober

He might take the mick out of me for saying it, but I agree with Billy When I got here I was amazed at all the weirdos who seemed to be perfectly happy without booze and wished I could do what they were doing. I didn't really think I could - the thought of living without beer and coke for the rest of my life??? made me break out in a sweat. You know, one that was quite different to my usual booze sweat. Or the hangover sweat. Or the one I used to get from doing a line...

Okay, I should point out that I have a temperature, and that this is rambling even more than my usual bollocks.

My point is, I just got clean for a bit, and my life opened out. Completely. I'll be eight weeks clean on Saturday and although I'm probably always going to miss getting high, the thought of being clean for the rest of my life, this clean and free, man that excites the hell out of me.

Badatbooze, it's ace to meet you - you're in a good place now

Billy, I am LOVIN the new avatar. And please stop shipping your stupid weather down here. No way you can blame this on Scotland, man, this has the North-West coast written alllllll over it...
Old 04-25-2012, 12:14 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I am 39 and on day 5 (and a half!).. and determined that by the time I turn 40 in October I will have cracked this, so that my 40's are better than my 30's.... I have been keeping a diary since I gave up, each day I note how I am 'suffering' and how I am 'feeling' and then use it every time a craving comes on to note down how I am feeling and generally have a moan... it really has helped. The day I quit I had a really bad hangover and noted everything down in detail - you know things like I feel bloated, embarrased, ashamed, fat, sad, bad headache, sick etc etc the list goes on. Now I read back on those first few days and can already see my progress.. it may help you to do one too?... Good luck and keep strong x
Old 04-25-2012, 10:43 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
So it goes

Yep sober is better, three months today. Never even thought I would manage that.
Badatbooze, still is totally spot on, you dont realise how good sober feels.
And still, the south stole all our money, so they can have our weather
Old 04-26-2012, 12:10 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BillyPilgrim View Post
And still, the south stole all our money,
You weren't using it for anything sensible. Pie and chips. Kiss me Quik hats. Mining. What did you expect?
Old 04-26-2012, 02:41 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome Badatbooze

if you really want it enough you can stop. Get a program together, keep close to this forum.

I am nearly 11 months sober with the help of this forum and AA.

All the best to you.

caiHong