Notices

Five months sober....

Old 04-25-2012, 11:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Five months sober....

Am very depressed tonight, very disappointed. Wanted to drink so badly, but I didn't. Confused and lost, wondering the point of working so hard at sobriety for this life, this torture...
Old 04-25-2012, 11:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
So it goes

I hope it gets better for you Lizbasso. We cant change the world, but we can face it better sober
Old 04-25-2012, 11:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Five months thats good. Do you have a method/program? Is feeling depressed something that is ongoing, or due to something that has recently happened?
Old 04-25-2012, 11:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
dude in recovery

Good for you on the five months... I think we all have, or have had those days where our sobriety in jeopardy from our own doubt. I try to think of the things I am grateful for and have done since getting sober. I was really bad off, so even the small things have been large accomplishments. I hope you can get some good sleep and wake up feeling better.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well done for 5 months! Apparently the urges only la
s 30 minutes at a time, hang on in and remember it will pass and keep on going x
Old 04-26-2012, 12:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks, friends. Sober is better; just have to remind myself how bad it was when I drank. Sobriety is life, alcohol is death. Two weeks in hospital, two months inpatient recovery- AA has helped a lot. I have major depression, Tourette syndrome and OCD...sometime things just build up and it's hard to take-hate feeling like a freak.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
dude in recovery

My depression has cleared up well since quitting, although I don't have tourettes to deal with, do have OC behavior. I dread the thought of depression returning because of my thoughts of suicide for many of my drunken years... I use to get so caught up in those 'zoned-out' (all alone) moments, but have gotten really good at breaking out of those right when they start.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry things are tough liz - the thing I try to remember is recovery doesn't always make magically life easier - but it does usually mean a bad day is just a bad day - not the start of a bad week/bender.

whatever the rough seas, sobriety helps keep me on an even keel

D
Old 04-26-2012, 12:44 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Liz

I battle depression daily. I just read something that resonated with me: "Depression isn't a lack of happiness; it's a lack of vitality."

the first six months or so of my recovery were hellish, depression as I never experienced, and I have been treated for depression for a few decades.

But it gets better. Alcohol and dope were the solution for my depression; that plan didn't work out so well.

Do you have any support in your sobriety? AA? A therapist? Shrink?

I still take meds for depression. I had hoped sobriety would lift the veil of irrational sadness and lethargy, but it didn't. It left me to address the issues that make me so damned down.

I do know that drinking would only slam me to the ground (and maybe a bit deeper, like six feet).
Old 04-26-2012, 02:56 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lizbass60 View Post
Thanks, friends. Sober is better; just have to remind myself how bad it was when I drank. Sobriety is life, alcohol is death. Two weeks in hospital, two months inpatient recovery- AA has helped a lot. I have major depression, Tourette syndrome and OCD...sometime things just build up and it's hard to take-hate feeling like a freak.
Welcome Lizbass60...I know I was suffering from some pretty major depression when I decided to stop fighting alcohol...I couldn't take it anymore. I was done. Working the steps of AA helped me tremendously with that. I don't have Tourette syndrome or OCD...And don't know much about them.
I'm glad AA has helped you...It saved my life. Seek the help you need for alcoholism there...Work the program...And seek whatever outside help you need for anything else....You can live a normal life...Better than you ever dreamed of. When you say "Sobriety is life, alcohol is death."....It really is as simple as that. You're not a freak...You're an alcoholic....And there are a lot of us out there.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:00 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Liz,
Sorry you are feeling down but good on you for telling us about it. Five months is great.
I have some bad days and I am really surprised I don't want to drink over them.
Take Care
CaiHong
Old 04-26-2012, 04:16 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lizbass60 View Post
wondering the point of working so hard at sobriety for this life
Because people like you give people like me inspiration.