Notices

Addicted to relapsing

Old 05-22-2012, 04:05 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Thanks for the straight shooting everyone. I like that alkies don't beat around the bush. This last bender was really rough. In short, I got into the habit of intentional puking toward the end of the night to feel a little better the next day (didn't help). The number of times this happened really freaked myself out.

I'm on day 16 this time around and decided to stop kidding myself and really keep at it. I'm feeling great so far. Friends are starting to question why I've turned down every single invite to hang out. I'm not really all that concerned. Looking forward to an amazing sober summer.
Old 05-22-2012, 05:50 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Congrats on 16 days, stylee. I had forgotten that I used to do the intentional puking thing too until just now when you mentioned it. Absolutely crazy. Glad things are going well so far.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:40 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by mwstylee View Post
I really like the "pink cloud" effect the first couple weeks bring when I quit. Colors are more vibrant, mornings are more pleasant, food tastes great, dreams can be remembered, I'm in a great sober mood. Then it starts fading away - well, not fading but I start getting a little used to feeling normal/sober and I want the pink cloud effect back again. I then go on a bender for a while, then quit again. Ta-da, everything's great again. Repeat.
One of these days.......you might not get the chance to "repeat." That's precisely how a lot of ppl leave this planet - thinking they had another recovery left in them.

I know better than to try to scare someone sober though.......

I'll tell ya this for sure - you haven't seen anything yet. Anyone who experiences real recovery wouldn't want to give it up for that pink-cloud feeling you're describing. Step up to the big-leagues and you won't believe how much you've been missing. That said, it doesn't come for free - we do have to work through some low spots and some dead air from time to time.

As a friend of mine puts it - "You're settling for that K-Mart $hit when you could be shopping at Nordstrom."
Old 05-22-2012, 08:04 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DayTrader View Post
One of these days.......you might not get the chance to "repeat." That's precisely how a lot of ppl leave this planet - thinking they had another recovery left in them.

I know better than to try to scare someone sober though.......

I'll tell ya this for sure - you haven't seen anything yet. Anyone who experiences real recovery wouldn't want to give it up for that pink-cloud feeling you're describing. Step up to the big-leagues and you won't believe how much you've been missing. That said, it doesn't come for free - we do have to work through some low spots and some dead air from time to time.

As a friend of mine puts it - "You're settling for that K-Mart $hit when you could be shopping at Nordstrom."
This has to be one of my favorite postings I have read on SR. Holy cow do I relate just 19 days into my recovery.....I am totally getting what recovery is all about and how it is SOOOO different than "quitting drinking". I have done that hundreds of times...this is my FIRST time at recovery...and I would not give it up for the world. This is the real $hit.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:27 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

OP here. Life is good, and it is great to feel healthy and productive on a daily basis. Looking forward to day 40 tomorrow. I am very grateful to be alive, employed, and sober. Have a fantastic weekend everyone!
Old 06-14-2012, 08:58 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

For me, recovery has been most about learning how to live an authentic life, and to a lesser but important degree about quitting drinking. It's a shift in focus, but my gosh its a wonderful adventure worth taking! The journey is the adventure, for sure!