Notices

My first post here.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:09 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Redjolt View Post
I have tried many options over the last thirty years including AA, SMART Recovery meetings, Social Worker, therapist, two weeks in a detox, tried to find god, budda, and who knows what else. I am open to any ideas, tools and suggestions to help keep straight.
I use the program of AA...One of the things that I liked about it...Is how many success stories I got to see in person when I went there. I'm one of those people that likes to see something working...Rather than read about it or hear about it. It's just the way I'm wired. I see people with 20..30...40 years sober and that is all the proof I need. If they can do it...I can do it. I put the work in and did what they did....I only have 10 months without a drink right now...And I'm happy.....I plan on working this program and keeping it that way...One day at a time. You say you tried AA in the past...What exactly did you try?....Read the book?...Hang around with people that have many years?...Do 90 meetings in 90 days?...Get a sponsor?...Start working the steps? It's like anything in life...You get out of it..What you put into it. I hope you find something that works.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:29 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hi Sapling, in AA I read the big book, went to both big book and step meetings. I worked the steps and prayed for help. I did thirty meeting in thirty days but was realy fifty meeting. I did not get a sponsor. I will be honest and say i was younger then and probably did not have the most opened of mind when i was going. I have been looking online for am open meeting in my area that I can attend and may go to one this weekend.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:42 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Redjolt!

My hangovers got worse and worse, too.... There's nothing like waking up and dreading the day ahead. We don't deserve to live that way. I'm really glad you found this forum - it's like support at your fingertips, 24/7!

Congrats on your 3 days!
Old 04-23-2012, 11:00 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Congratulations, 3 days will become 30 days then 300 days, before you know it.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:16 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Thanks for the support everyone. I just finished my P90x workout for the day after a week and a half of binging and withdrawls. now getting ready for work. Felt good to sweat from working out and not withdrawls. Thanks
Old 04-24-2012, 06:51 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Redjolt View Post
Hi Sapling, in AA I read the big book, went to both big book and step meetings. I worked the steps and prayed for help. I did thirty meeting in thirty days but was realy fifty meeting. I did not get a sponsor. I will be honest and say i was younger then and probably did not have the most opened of mind when i was going. I have been looking online for am open meeting in my area that I can attend and may go to one this weekend.
It's probably better to do the steps with the help of someone that has done them before...And it does help to have an open mind and be willing to listen....I wish you the best...However you do it.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:56 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sapling View Post
I think it sounds like it's time for a different road. Find a different direction and follow it. The other one is taking you nowhere.
Welcome Redjolt! You're in the right place. I agree that it is time for a different road.... Sounds like you're doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. DO you attend any kind of 12 step fellowship? Considered treatment? Just some ideas. Anyways though there's a whole bunch of ressources on here and I'm sure you'll be able to find the help you need. Neat on brother. Welcome