Notices

New to sobriety, looking for some tips or techniques

Old 04-18-2012, 02:48 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Heathen

Hey neighbor (I'm in Denver). I'm sure you'll do great.. let us know how it goes!
Old 04-19-2012, 04:52 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

Originally Posted by 5280guy View Post
This is a test post from my BB. Thank you all. I'll be there Fri, Sat and Sun this week. I'm nervous but I know I'll make it. My boss is pregnant right now so I know I'll have at least one sober friend with me.
Good, stick with her and you'll do just fine. Pretend you are pregnant as well!
Old 04-20-2012, 10:27 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Made it to NJ completely sober. First sober flight in years, the temptation at DIA was terrible. Next step is tonight at the bar.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:46 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Made it to NJ completely sober. First sober flight in years, the temptation at DIA was terrible. Next step is tonight at the bar.
So far so good. Order a club soda with lime or something when you get to the bar...And don't let it out of your mitts.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:39 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

You'll feel so good when you see you can make it through this. You'll gain strength from jumping these hurdles.
Old 04-20-2012, 03:47 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

Oh, that was you flying over.

Welcome to the East Coast...enjoy a sober weekend!!!
Old 04-20-2012, 04:09 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Hello, the last time I had a drink was 4/8/2012. I've been drinking pretty heavily for about 8 years now. I feel great with even one week under my belt but I'm curious what unexpected tempting situations others like me may have ran into and what you did to cope. My concern is being able to maintain sobriety while being around alcohol. I'm going on a business trip at the end of this week and the folks at my destination will almost certainly want to go to our normal bars. I want to socialize with the people I haven't seen in a while and I know alcohol will be around.
Interesting Guy, you alone do know how to stop drinking. it ends up taking what it takes to recover from a life long of drinking. that's the part you decide what works or not.Everybody has a story, they all have a way, then and their long too...lol. beware of the long ones.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:09 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I'm glad to report I didn't even have to go to a bar. I let my co-workers know I'd quit when they first suggested hitting a bar. Friday my boss invited me to dinner with her and her finance and we ordered in some great Italian food. Saturday I worked from 8AM till midnight. Today I'm relaxing in my hotel waiting for my ride to EWR. Thank you all for your support through this one.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:12 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

You did it....Nice job!
Old 04-22-2012, 12:31 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Well played, sir.
Old 04-22-2012, 02:04 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Administrator

good stuff 5280Guy

D
Old 04-22-2012, 07:16 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Good for you! I'm glad you didn't have to go to a bar. Personally, I would find that very difficult so early in recovery. When I was sober the last time around for 8 months, I avoided bars and major drinking situations for as long as possible in the beginning. I'm planning to do the same for the foreseeable future now that I'm trying again. Yes it's a change in lifestyle, but it makes things so much easier and you can always ease back into that type of situation as you gain more sober time and more confidence.
Old 04-23-2012, 02:02 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

hey 5280guy,

I just joined here the other day, so literally only on day 3. Today went to work and apparently my teaching department is having "drinks and nibbles" tomorrow afternoon after work for someones birthday...great. Then on Wednesday my mum is apparently coming into town and we are going for dinner and shes quite a drinker...sooo... I know exactly how you feel!

Can't really help all these things...and theres no way I am not going to see my family because I am too scared. So just means have to have the willpower to not drink.

I am sure you can do it too.
Old 04-23-2012, 02:03 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

in fact you did! well done
Old 04-23-2012, 02:17 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
So it goes

I'm glad to report I didn't even have to go to a bar. I let my co-workers know I'd quit when they first suggested hitting a bar. Thank you all for your support through this one.
Great work 5280, I enjoyed reading this whole thread, I know what it was like for Still Sleeping, as I watched hers as she was in the pub. It's great that we can do this. I have avoided bars since being sober, so your experience can give inspiration to othrs, Kellyrally, it can be done!!!
Billy
Old 04-23-2012, 04:01 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kellyrally View Post
hey 5280guy,

I just joined here the other day, so literally only on day 3. Today went to work and apparently my teaching department is having "drinks and nibbles" tomorrow afternoon after work for someones birthday...great. Then on Wednesday my mum is apparently coming into town and we are going for dinner and shes quite a drinker...sooo... I know exactly how you feel!

Can't really help all these things...and theres no way I am not going to see my family because I am too scared. So just means have to have the willpower to not drink.

I am sure you can do it too.
KellyRally,
Everyone in this thread was right, the feeling of accomplishment is so wonderful. Definitely a feather in my cap of sobriety. I totally suggest starting a similar thread if you feel nervous about being around drinkers. It helped me a lot. I even told my boss about this site and all of you.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:08 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

temptation can be hard to resist...losing your sobriety isn't worth going to bars...keep busy...take care of you...you are worth it
Old 04-23-2012, 04:10 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

That is awesome..
Old 04-23-2012, 05:12 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

That's so fantastic! Yay you!