Old 04-15-2012, 11:08 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Red face

Jeni,
Just a thought,
You might actually be happy at work.
Sometimes being busy is good for us.
Fantastic on 2 weeks.
Of course teaching while hungover, was more difficult, and if you managed that, you will fly while sober.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:12 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hi Jen26,

I know where you are coming from. I'm 28 days sober today but I start a new job tomorrow. My mind has been racing all day with all the different scenerios for when I turn up at work tomorrow. Normally I'd start drinking to relax, and of course a few beers would turn into 10 etc and then the main problem would be first day nerves and a hangover. Double whammy!
I also expected it to feel a bit easier by now. But I have realised my sobriety is the most important thing right now, new job or not. You will feel so much better in the morning when you go to work without a hangover. You are doing fantastic! And without a hangover I bet you have a great day tomorrow and work won't seem quite as hard going.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:59 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hi sweetie :P

It is a real bummer going back after the holidays. Dive in tomorrow - you'll love seeing the kids if nothing else, and I'll be really surprised if you don't find you have waaaaay more energy for those 12 hour days than you used to have...

I'll be checking in after the bell, so drop by and let us know how it goes okay?

xxx
Old 04-16-2012, 07:47 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hang in there Jeni, it takes time. Life will still be there everyday to throw you curveballs, but now you're learning ways to actually deal with them instead of numbing. As far as end-of-the-day stress, do you enjoy walks or bicycle rides? Maybe a cup of tea and a magazine or book? Something that is a treat to you between workday and evening time to become your new habit. For me, the only thing I ever did when I got off work (which was overly stressful) was drink and watch movies. Oh, and eat terribly. My first two months sober I'd get off work and just be freaking out, what do I do NOW??? I drank huge amounts of herbal tea, and watched movies, and still ate terribly. Then it dawned on me, I just opened this amazing door to sobriety, yet I was still sitting right here doing the same old routine (minus the alcohol), and expecting different results.

So I thought about all the stuff I'd ever wanted to do, learn Spanish, read and remember what I read, get in shape, hang out with my family, garden, travel, keep a tidy house that I'm proud of, learn to craft, cook without setting a cookbook on fire... From small, everyday things I couldn't commit myself to before, to lifelong dreams, I realized they were all there if I'd just step through the door.

Recovery is a life-long process, go easy on yourself, you're doing great and you'll find your new normal! :ghug3
Old 04-16-2012, 08:27 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Hey hun, so it's 16:26. How did it go?
xxx
Old 04-16-2012, 10:05 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hi all. Just home. Had a great day, no real stress and a complete change in attitude from me. Calm, relaxed and positive and no hangover cos I didnt spend Sunday drinking. I usually work til very late, but I left at 5 so I could get home in the daylight.
I really feel good.
Thank you SS and all those who posted.
Ups and downs are all part of 'normal' life and I'm going with it!!x
Old 04-16-2012, 10:09 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Hey awesome! Am in a car with fellow teacher buddy and both really impressed amd pleased. Dead proud of you girl. Xxxx