Notices

im here for my first therapy session

Old 04-11-2012, 09:35 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by RyanRyan View Post
I feel like a damn fool now. I should have never gone. After spilling my guts to this woman about some really personal #### she finishes up the session by telling me she cannot help me with my drinking problem and that I need to join AA. *She said she was not a recovery program. This after I told her how much I drink a week. Her reaction to that made me worried. She couldn't believe it. She said really? 12 bottles of wine a week? *And beer? (I think she thought i meant weekend now I'm even more paranoid)...you need help, she says...or you wont see your 40th birthday. Really lady, why do you think I'm here. I'm just waiting for CPS to come and get my kids that's how worried I am.

Yes moron I do need help, I dont know where to go, thats why I called you!

She agreed to see me further only if I join AA go to 3 meetings a week and get a sponsor and tell all my friends and family...Well if I did that I wouldn't need her....I am so pissed right now

What's even the point.

Psychologist....whatever.
Well Ryan.....you may not like this but I'll betcha you that therapist was one of the smarter ones you could have found. About 75 yrs ago one of the wealthier families around sent their son to Dr Carl Jung in Switzerland (yanno, the guy who founded/created Jungian Psychology). Anyway, this guy spent a YEAR in in-patient with THE Dr Jung himself to work on his drinking and other issues. Shortly after he left, before he even got back to the states, he got miserably drunk. He was taken back to see Dr Jung. At that point, Dr Jung admitted that the man was an alcoholic of the hopeless variety and he'd never seen a psychologist get anywhere with someone like that. That guy didn't like the news anymore than you I suppose.

Alternatively, you could have had what I had....... a con artist who told me he absolutely could help me....I spent a year in therapy with him and, looking back now, accomplished about as much as I did in my first 2 or 3 AA meetings..... AA was free vs. his office visits which were $100 per week.

I did get a chuckle at one thing you wrote... "I looked into AA and it's not for me." .........just poking fun here but, in a way, giving you something to think about: I bet you checked into that therapist too....yet, when you got there, you found something different than you expected. AA will be the same way......I've never heard of anyone going for the first time, coming out, and saying "Yep, just like I suspected..." lol.

Whatever you do.......good luck to you.

Time will tell but I'll betcha that therapist you're hacked off at was 1. darn smart 2. honest as they come(which can be darn rare to find in that field - just like in my professions) 3. probably an alkie in recovery herself (I think I read it was a woman).
Old 04-11-2012, 04:10 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Day trader ....I hear what your saying and yes I do not know what to expect if I was to go to AA. But what I do know is that I do not beleive in God, and i do not like spirituality and i do not beleive in a higher power, soooo, if that is the first thing listed in the twelve steps then obviously i would come tonthat conclusion. It may sound ridiculous but if you knew my past you would understand, and THAT specifically is what scared me away from it. Since that original posting many people have said so Many positive things about AA to make me reconsider. In addition, I did look into the therapist and told this woman specifically why I was coming. The only reason I ever posted what I did is that I really felt betrayed by A professional who tells me they can help me then spends an hour with me, charges me $250 and then proceeds to tell me I am incorrigible and that I need help for exactly why I was there. I am indeed happy that I did not get scammed and I am sorry that you did....I have more learning to do, and I appreciate the advice.
Old 04-11-2012, 04:41 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by RyanRyan View Post
Tonight instead of drinking I'm taking a walk with my wife and dogs
Good decision!

I found that getting out and taking long walks after supper helped me so much in the early days of recovery, and years later I am still doing the same thing.

There are several options for recovery programs, so take a look:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html
Old 04-11-2012, 05:02 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Thank you Anna!
Old 04-12-2012, 06:38 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

You might want to find a good AODA counselor. I see one every other week. I like mine, she knows what I am going through and is full of good suggestions. Don't be afraid of AA. It is a good place to start. There may be some underlying issues that the shrink may be able to help with. AODA and AA probably has better tools to help with the addiction.

I am agnostic at best. My "higher power" is the group. There is a place in AA for agnostics and atheists. If you can go and keep an open mind, you will find help that doesn't involve spirituality. It is nice just to be surrounded by people who understand. The meetings don't typically involve the spiritual side of the program anyway. The 12 steps does though, and I am struggling with steps 2 and 3 myself. Been on step 1 for the last four months. But I have still found a ton of help and met some great people.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:58 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Liked yer post Ryan...... good stuff.

I'm a financial planner (aka "stock broker" in the good 'ol days). There are some absolute WHORES in my industry. And at times, I've been that *****. I've worked with guys and gals who'd tell a client damn near anything to get them to generate commissions. Even more sad, I'd hear the clients leaving the office or out in town somewhere else talking about "how great so-and-so is and how they're always looking out for my money.....they're always looking to get me out of trouble and into the right investments."

/.rolls eyes.\

No they weren't........they were generating income for themselves and snowed you into thinking it was for your benefit.

Sadly, therapists aren't above the same behavior........nor are attorneys.......not are surgeons.........nor are general practitioners/family doctors.........etc.

I do not believe in God, and i do not like spirituality and i do not believe in a higher power
Believe it or not, that's cool in AA. None of that would preclude you from being able to successfully work all 12 steps. .....and yeah, I know....it doesn't seem like you could work 'em with those beliefs. Luckily for most of us, you don't need to believe in God or any HP or even like spirituality to work the program and recover from alcoholism........if those were requirements to walk in the door or to work the steps......I'd be the membership in AA would be in the 100's or 1000's vs the millions.