Notices

ok,limiting factor

Old 04-06-2012, 04:14 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

You're up an posting - that's a good thing. I haven't been sitting here the whole time btw. Just got back from the zoo
Old 04-06-2012, 04:26 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pojman View Post
Although I find our shared addiction drop dead serious, and ultimatly life threatening. I could not help but to explode into laughter when I read this.

I can remember so many times where I was watching TV, and I just figured "Oh well, I can just watch with one eye shut". I think my favorite to watch at the time was King of the Hill.

Not to get too much into war stories, but yea... I remember all those times of "one eye watching" where I ended up on the most redicilous television programs... My favorite on the food channel was "Two Fat Ladies".

Looking back now, I realize how pathetic I was sitting there on the couch with one eye open watching stupid television... I am glad I am in a better place now.
Old 04-06-2012, 04:42 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

slept like a rock, ever since i gave up the mega vitamins, sleep has been much better, didn't wake up once until around 6:45. Saturday I'm gonna start cleanin up my act.
Old 04-06-2012, 05:13 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I don't think there's a secret Dan - you just decide to make the leap, then do whatever is required for you not to pick up the glass again, you know?

it's simple...even if it isn't easy

D
This. I am a firm believer in "Leap, and the net will appear." You can always consider us as your net, even if it the internet. :-)
Old 04-06-2012, 07:01 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Dan, there's no secret. I got fed up & made the decision that I would do whatever it takes to be sober.
I accepted that alcohol was no longer an option for me.
I took back the control that alcohol had taken from me.
I set myself free from prison & poison.
I realized alcohol was never going to make me happy or satisfied.
I was chasing the wind & realized it was an illusion that I could ever catch it.
So I let go....I've never been happier.
Find that strength Dan. You can. Close the door on the poison & don't look back. Ever.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:03 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  
~sb

your reduction lasted 2 days. 40 oz, then 24 oz, then 120 oz. See how it didn't work? 3 is a pattern....

try not drinking, dan, you've done it before.....

remember, sunshine and alcohol on the water isn't necessarily a good combination!
Old 04-06-2012, 09:42 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Purplecatlover View Post
Dan, there's no secret. I got fed up & made the decision that I would do whatever it takes to be sober.
I accepted that alcohol was no longer an option for me.
I took back the control that alcohol had taken from me.
I set myself free from prison & poison.
I realized alcohol was never going to make me happy or satisfied.
I was chasing the wind & realized it was an illusion that I could ever catch it.
So I let go....I've never been happier.
Find that strength Dan. You can. Close the door on the poison & don't look back. Ever.
^^THIS^^ is it!!!

Old 04-06-2012, 10:13 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Perhaps you can postpone the date the boat goes in the water? Get some sober time under your belt, switch marinas and find a different crowd of boaters?
I don't know... I just don't see that you want to quit as much as you want to stay not quit. It's like, you want to be well without actually having to change anything.

You do know that you will need to change in order to change, right?
Old 04-06-2012, 01:15 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by OCDDan View Post
I appreciate all the good advice, and will read it again, but just remember, when alcohol had it's grips around your neck, and you had to deal with it. I'm stupid about this, but the brain, dictates all.. from what i can tell.. prehistorically, i don't know... but thank you very much, i actually can still type.. yeahhh
I got to thinking about this a little more... And, although you were drunk at the time time of posting this, you are right. When I was drinking uncontrollably, I would not have been able to be reasoned with either. Drinking was just something that I had to do, and if I did not do it, the mental consequences would have been horrible.

It is scary to know that the drinking (usually) does not stop until something horrible happens. And that list of horrible things that can happen is countless. I worry for anyone that has to experience that horrible moment. And I am willing to bet that 98% of us on this board have been there.

Be careful Dan, and please do not be suprised with that moment comes. When that moment does come, that is your time to make a decision.

If you want, that moment can be now. The best way, and possibly the best way out of this mess, is to approach your loved ones and tell them in a very serious mannar that you are an alcoholic, and you are putting your life (and others in some circumstances) at risk.

Sooner or later the cat will come out of the bag. Make your moment!
Old 04-06-2012, 02:08 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Administrator

It is scary to know that the drinking (usually) does not stop until something horrible happens. And that list of horrible things that can happen is countless. I worry for anyone that has to experience that horrible moment. And I am willing to bet that 98% of us on this board have been there.
Just because it was that way for you or me, doesn't mean it needs to be that way for everyone tho Pojman - I like to think that's why places like SR exist - so that people don't have to do the ball of flame/taking out innocent bystanders crash and burn I did.

I remember feeling helpless in my addiction too - like I was being carried along in my addiction's wake....

It was nonsense - and you need to challenge that idea Dan.

Although you might feel the hands of your addiction are around your neck- you keep coming back here - and I don't really believe it's to shoot the breeze, chew the fat or post about boating.

Fan that little spark in you that wants to quit - you can do this. You've done it before.
You have the power - not your addiction.

You can release the hold your addiction has on you - but you need to act.
I know you can do this.

and by the way? I know a lot of sober boaties

D
Old 04-06-2012, 02:28 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

I disagree Pojman. I hit rock bottom 2 yrs before I quit. I didn't have anything "horrible" happen, other than being seriously addicted to alcohol, feeling suicidal. I came very close to losing everything but by the grace of God I didn't.

I actually spent the next year trying to moderate. Switched from vodka to beer, only on weekends, etc. And I Was miserable. I really wanted to get trashed & moderating was torture. And I was sick of torturing myself by bingeing & moderating.
The realization that I would never find happiness, peace, satisfaction in alcohol FINALLY set in.
That's when I'd had enough.
It's different for everyone.
Some have horrible things happen, some are just tired of playing the game they will never win.
It won't get better even if you drink less. I proved that to myself.

And I did the 1 eyed TV watching for a LONG time. I like it much better now & I can remember what I watched!
Old 04-06-2012, 02:28 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone, man i'm tired, gonna nap an hour, see my gf, then tomorrow I'm going back on the wagon, thanks again, i'll be more serious..