Notices

ok,limiting factor

Old 04-05-2012, 08:24 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
Moderate Drinking - Alcohol Alert No. 16-1992
"U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (2) define moderate drinking as no more than one drink a day for most women, and no more than two drinks a day for most men. A standard drink is generally considered to be 12 ounces of beer, 5 ounces of wine, or 1.5 ounces of 80-proof distilled spirits."

5 24 oz = 10 drinks
5 2 shots = about 15 drinks?

I dunno, I'm tired. Is a shot 2 oz or 1.5 oz? I assume you were heavy handed with the shots..

Basically, you are drinking way too much! If it's working... I have a friend who has been having work and family problems, is in out patient rehab due to work, has a situation at work and keeps getting the facts confused, and claims to have stopped drinking, then she was drinking, then it was a couple, then up to 6, I assume she's on her way back to 12 beers a night (although she's had some at work). A very dangerous person, in my opinion....

I drank a 6 pack a night. No work? I drank up to 10-12. Sometimes 18. It would fluctuate depending on how ill I felt the next day. It was still too much.

I dunno, Dan. I just don't know. I hope you give it up. I know I will wake up without a headache tomorrow....
i know, i was extra bad, but i got out of work at two pm today, but worked until midnight the night before. ahhh, i have to stay up until one am, to get out of this one...get up at seven.. it's just weird this weekend, i was doing good until i got tired from a fifteen hour shift, a four hour nap then weirdness, i'll be back to two or thre beers soon.. monday
Old 04-05-2012, 08:30 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you find your way out of this soon Dan - I know you're keeping your contributions here 'light', but I know you're here for a reason too.

D
Old 04-05-2012, 08:46 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I don't think there's a secret Dan - you just decide to make the leap, then do whatever is required for you not to pick up the glass again, you know?

it's simple...even if it isn't easy

D

I love this - it covers pretty much the whole thing for me. The situations are different day to day, and the pressures and the triggers and the chaos and the endless voice that's been circling in my head for thirty-four days...

...but in the end it's simple. I am not going to drink. Difficult, but simple.

Thanks Dee - I may get that tattooed somewhere. (I'm not sayin where...)
Old 04-05-2012, 09:20 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
~sb

326 days sober for me. It does work, but it works when you put effort into it.

over 4605 posts on SR

And I have a fuller life today, with room for growth.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:21 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I hope you find your way out of this soon Dan - I know you're keeping your contributions here 'light', but I know you're here for a reason too.

D
Dee, you are right, I've tried to keep my contributions 'light' I've done ten times better than last winter (before i knew about SR), but now, in two or three weeks, my boat goes in the water, so, the real, test starts, actually, if you knew me last winter, you woul say, oh my gosh OCD, you have been a saint compared to the preceeding forty years.. (i am so sorry, you guys have found a real gem), ahhh, in two weeks, you guys might disown me. (when i'll probably need you the most) you just can't imagine, unless you have owned a boat at a marina and well, "had fun".. I will actually try to do my best to be good, and not be led into temptation, that's a promise to myself, not you (no disrespect)
Old 04-05-2012, 09:28 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hey Dan, I'm a sailor! Nice to meetcha

What's the trip going to be - why you hitting the water?

Man, sailing is a drinking sport...I'm nervous about the season already xx
Old 04-05-2012, 09:47 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stillsleeping View Post
Hey Dan, I'm a sailor! Nice to meetcha

What's the trip going to be - why you hitting the water?

Man, sailing is a drinking sport...I'm nervous about the season already xx
well let's see, I've owned a boat since ninety one, started water skiin in sixty six, was in thirty footers in the US navy. In my boat, when it get's bad, i tie my wet suit to a rope so i can grab it on the way overboard.. I have way too many stories, but one comes to mind, where i was so fatigued that the everything was flashing back and forth from positive to negative at nightime, just like an old time film negative, halucinations if you will, very crazy, so tired that i couldn't sleep.. but a very nice and sunny day once the sun came up... not too many drinks tho..
Old 04-05-2012, 09:53 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

wait five months and see what happens.
I can tell you exactly what happens, Dan. Five months of sleeping better, feeling better, being better. Five months of renewed confidence and self-respect. Five months of freedom from having to rely on algebra to convince yourself that you have some level of control over your drinking. Purplecatlover is in it to win it. And it's not a hollow victory—it comes loaded with all kinds of awesome prizes.

I've spent a lot of time on boats, both when I drank and after I stopped. It's better sober. I feel far more connected to the wind and the water. You should give it a try some time.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:54 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by OCDDan View Post
i was so fatigued that the everything was flashing back and forth from positive to negative at nightime, just like an old time film negative, halucinations if you will, very crazy, so tired that i couldn't sleep.. but a very nice and sunny day once the sun came up... not too many drinks tho..

Yeah, the sleep deprivation is crazy. I've actually comforted myself that that's the one drug I'll still be able to enjoy ha ha. Am looking forward to this bein the first year I wake up on board without a trace of a hangover, do some situps and get moving...19 years drunk. Ready for a change.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:58 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ReadyAndAble View Post
I can tell you exactly what happens, Dan. Five months of sleeping better, feeling better, being better. Five months of renewed confidence and self-respect. Five months of freedom from having to rely on algebra to convince yourself that you have some level of control over your drinking. Purplecatlover is in it to win it. And it's not a hollow victory—it comes loaded with all kinds of awesome prizes.

I've spent a lot of time on boats, both when I drank and after I stopped. It's better sober. I feel far more connected to the wind and the water. You should give it a try some time.
i went five months, that's why i said that, also went two point five years a blew that too
Old 04-05-2012, 10:02 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stillsleeping View Post
Yeah, the sleep deprivation is crazy. I've actually comforted myself that that's the one drug I'll still be able to enjoy ha ha. Am looking forward to this bein the first year I wake up on board without a trace of a hangover, do some situps and get moving...19 years drunk. Ready for a change.
i used to use sleep deprivatino to offset social anxiety, it did actually help, i was too tired to have anxiety, kinda sucky tho, hey so I live in Brighton, but it in NY USA, you are across the pond i take it?
Old 04-05-2012, 10:08 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by OCDDan View Post
hey so I live in Brighton, but it in NY USA, you are across the pond i take it?
There's a brighton in NY? Cool! Yeah, I'm in sunny old england, waitin for a bit of light in the sky so I can go for a run. It's freezing here today. Stupid longitude. Stupid northern hemisphere heh heh.

Then I'm taking my niece and nephew out for the day. They popped over for half an hour last night too. My brother never used to drop by like that - any time after midday and we'd be drinking already. One of the unseen perks!

x
Old 04-05-2012, 10:08 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Ah, well good, that means you know more than a thing or two about this whole recovery business. You remind me of a friend of mine I was talking to on the phone last night. He's back at it, drinking every night. Lost in a forest and unable to find his way back out, is how he put it. He's full of self doubt. You're keeping it much more light-hearted in tone than he is, but I sense maybe you're at the same place, where you're starting to give up on yourself...

Don't.

I repeat, don't. Because that is utter crap. If you can handle yourself out on the water in the middle of a storm, you can ride through this too. It takes the same mindset—that kind of "F--- you, world, is that all you can throw at me?!!!" attitude. Your addiction is whispering in your ear, telling you to give up, there's no hope. But there is. For you, for anyone, for everyone who's got the desire and the guts to try. You've got both—it comes through in your posts. You. Can. Do. It.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:10 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Oh, sh!t, you're from Brooklyn? Good lord, you're even tougher than I thought...
Old 04-05-2012, 10:15 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Oh, sh!t, you're from Brooklyn? Good lord, you're even tougher than I thought...
naw, I'm a couple hundred miles from Brooklyn, but i was a couple hundred feet under water and got the bends after surfacing, spent seven days in a decompression tank for the bends, not fun, but a huge rush at the time of the dive tho...
Old 04-05-2012, 10:20 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Oh, I thought you meant Brighton Beach! I lived upstate myself for a few years. Of course, "upstate" is relative... I was in the Hudson Valley area. You'd probably consider that downstate. Pretty beautiful country either way.

I've never been diving to any real depth. I know enough about it to know the bends are no joke, though.

So Dan, you thinking about giving the whole quitting thing another try?
Old 04-05-2012, 10:27 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Oh, I thought you meant Brighton Beach! I lived upstate myself for a few years. Of course, "upstate" is relative... I was in the Hudson Valley area. You'd probably consider that downstate. Pretty beautiful country either way.

I've never been diving to any real depth. I know enough about it to know the bends are no joke, though.

So Dan, you thinking about giving the whole quitting thing another try?
yes, I am heading toward reduction, today was supose to be sixteen ounces, instead it turned out to be one hundred twenty,krap, it was all because i had to work untl midnight wednesday, then i had to leave work early today, and got sloshed, but now it's almost one thirty am, and i have to go write code in six hours, so, I'm punchin out my friend, thanks for the talk, have a good night.. Dan
Old 04-05-2012, 10:42 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

I said quitting. Reduction isn't quitting, Dan. Heck, the way you're doing it, reduction isn't even reduction.

And don't blame work. It's alcoholism. I know because I've been there. God, I do not miss being hungover and hearing that alarm clock....

Oh, well. Tomorrow's another day. Another chance, too. Hope you get some sleep, Dan.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:53 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

God, I do not miss being hungover and hearing that alarm clock....
Ugh. I know he's goin to bed, and don't know whether this counts as a hijack, but that gave me a massive flashback. The hangover alarm, that sinking feeling. Wow, that was a nice reminder, thanks Ready xx
Old 04-06-2012, 04:10 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

looks like i got five and half hours. food was a good idea lastnight, i got sweaters on my teeth tho, :O