Notices

What were you doing when you detoxed?

Old 04-02-2012, 03:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What were you doing when you detoxed?

Did you stay at home? Go to work? Spend it in a hospital?
Did you go out and still do normal things? Like groceries?
Do you guys think it would be smart if I still went to the gym?
Old 04-02-2012, 03:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

It all depends on how you feel bayliss....I was pretty much housebound for a day or two - other people can go to the gym etc....

There's no one experience so there's no one answer
D
Old 04-02-2012, 03:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

l have detoxed at home under supervision of a doctor.
And 3 times in a clinic .
An experience l never want to go thru again.
l imagine hell is something like the way l felt there.
Old 04-02-2012, 03:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

I detoxed at home and read books pretty much whenever I wasn't sleeping or eating.
Old 04-02-2012, 03:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I think I was at a clinic. I don't really remember that well.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

At home (not recommended) all the numerous times I'ved detoxed. Too weak/shaky to drive so I just made the most of direcTV's movie channels and ate whatever was in the pantry. I want to echo the other responder: detoxing from alchol is pure hell.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well I'll be detoxing at home...I do have an appointment with my Doctor tomorrow though, I do hope everything goes well.
I did end up doing groceries today, cleaned and walked twice...now just sitting with the boyfriend watching TV.
Will make some tea to calm my nerves a bit. But other then that I am just craving wine. Feel like I need to have it...I know that I don't.

And I want to say thanks to all those that responded.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

At home. I still went to work everyday but I went to bed as soon as I got home, mainly because I didn't know what else to do rather than to sleep. It wasn't hell for me but I did/do give myself a lot of time for recovery. If I feel I need to sleep I sleep and I'm only just starting to exercise (which I never did before anyway). Actual withdrawals lasted a week and a bit for me but getting into functioning better is an ongoing process.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Every time I detoxed I continued to go to work and had no real physical problems. I work so much that I can not afford to miss any. Exercise occasionally, sleep when I can, try to eat healthy, eat vitamins, do everything else nomally.
Stopping drinking never affected work, social life, etc..
Physically it was never a problem. Staying sober for long periods was the problem.
Good luck.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I was in a Recovery Home for 90 days

Bob
Old 04-02-2012, 05:30 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good luck with your detox, Bayliss.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:11 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I did the home detox and once in an ER. In both cases I was pretty worthless for 4 days. When I went to the ER I couldn't even walk.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:28 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I just hope it's not as bad as I fear it will be. I hope it goes away in 7 days not more...if not less!
I will definitely listen to everything the doc has to say. I have a feeling he will tell me to just relax and take the Ativan I am already prescribed whenever I feel anxious/panicky.

When you go and see your doc before beginning detox do they run tests or just advise you one what to do by how much you tell them you drink and how often?
Old 04-02-2012, 06:47 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

I was home recovering from major surgery, I spent a lot of time on here. I could barely walk or move, and couldn't drive...so that helped me stay honest.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:05 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mwstylee View Post
At home (not recommended) all the numerous times I'ved detoxed. Too weak/shaky to drive so I just made the most of direcTV's movie channels and ate whatever was in the pantry. I want to echo the other responder: detoxing from alchol is pure hell.
Same experience for me... completely awful. I never want to go back there.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:46 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

When you guys say that it was really bad...what did you go through? Day 1 was relatively painless for me...other then some anxiety it was like any other normal day.
I am still going to see the doc tomorrow and follow whatever he advises to a t.
I have been given a second chance...(well, quite a few from the bf!) but I realize that this "scare" is supposed to kick me in the arse and finally do something about this drinking!
Old 04-02-2012, 07:55 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I felt like someone had hit me with a baseball bat. Headache, shaking, insomnia, stomach ache, light headed, sad, depressed, anxious, remorseful... I couldn't really function much... stayed inside for a few days and tried to get hydrated and build up some vitamins in my system. I missed a few days of work and combined it with my days off... was about 5 days all together... I did a lot of praying and it helped relieve the pain almost immediately. When I was drinking I couldn't pray and really mean it. After the 5 days I went back to work... was still shaky but I managed. After about 10 days I started to feel ok... that's 10 days I never wish to repeat. Even if I was to relapse I wouldn't "repeat" that though... it would be worse the next time because withdrawls are progressive... they get worse and worse the more times you go through them. Not something that I want to see...
Old 04-02-2012, 07:59 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bayliss View Post
I am still going to see the doc tomorrow and follow whatever he advises to a t.
That's all you have to do...Be completely honest with him and do what he says....The most important thing is what you do when you're done with detox....What's going to keep you sober?....You mentioned AVRT...Maybe you should be reading that book....I hope it works for you this time bayliss...It takes some effort.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:01 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing Jobei...I definitely don't want to keep relapsing and going through the detox process all over again...
Maybe my next question should be meant for another thread...but I wonder why people willingly go back to alcohol (relapse) after going through all the hellishness of detox? I know that alcoholism is a disease...but it makes me curious...especially if it were one that was really bad. Maybe that's why I kept relapsing before...because I didn't have a bad detox at all in the past (mind you, I only quit like...a few times...haven't drank that very long and have cut down a bit in the past)...
My boyfriend cut out drinking and felt NOTHING. No withdrawals AT ALL. That was almost a month ago!
Old 04-02-2012, 08:07 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

you can rationalise anything I think Bayliss...even at my worst, I would be too sick to get out of bed Monday...but come Thursday I felt so good I was sure that I must have been over-reacting...

and it would all begin again...

D