Notices

Do meetings really help!

Old 04-02-2012, 04:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Do meetings really help!

Do meetings really help! How do I pick a place to go to. Have used opiates for 15 yrs and am almost 30 days clean.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sure you'll hear from a lot of people for whom meetings did help - here's an NA link

Canadian Assembly of Narcotics Anonymous

There are also non 12 step programmes like SMART Home

and Rational Recovery (AVRT) which has no meetings at all.

Visit our Secular forum for more details there

whatever you decide I think some kind of support is important

D
Old 04-02-2012, 04:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

YES! My motto was to not exclude anything in helping my recovery.

Give it a go. Go, sit back and listen. You've got support here Szavo but i think adding some meetings to your plan would be a great thing for you. Being around people that "get you" is a huge help.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by szavo View Post
Do meetings really help! How do I pick a place to go to. Have used opiates for 15 yrs and am almost 30 days clean.
Hello szavo. AA meetings have kept me sober and as sane as possible for nearly 23 years. NA may just be the ticket for you.

All the best.

Bob R (down near Windsor)
Old 04-02-2012, 05:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

AA and NA meetings helped me to reconnect with humans since I isolated myself while drinking/getting high. The step work I've done has had amazing success within me.

At over 4000 posts, SR has been in my hand (phone) and has been a lifesaver, along with another site I can access on my phone for it's chat room.

Never alone---via forums, chat, and real people in my life; all have been helpful, but mostly incorporating the steps into my life (I have patience, tolerance, acceptance more than ever and always growing, I've lost my social phobias, anxiety and irrational fears and I am no longer depressed).
Old 04-02-2012, 06:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It was so important for me to get out of my own head- to do that , I had to learn few new behaviors . To learn new behaviors I had to find ppl who were like me and had the experience and compassion to show me what they had done.. For me, those ppl were in the rooms of NA.

16 clean years later - its still what I do.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

AA meetings have helped me. The best part is meeting people that I can give a call at any time night or day for support.

I would give SMART a try as well but they have nothing local. SR certainly has helped as well.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

Oh yes they do help very much. They've saved my life. Follow the information that Dee posted for you and you'll do just fine. Give it a try and see if it's for you.
Old 04-03-2012, 05:13 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

If you're thinking about it, I would definitely give meetings a try. To me, my first meeting was quite a revelation - here were people who were like me, spilling their thoughts, I'd spent so long trying to hide/bury this problem, and being in an atmosphere of openness, where there was no judgement, was quite emotional for me. I also had my first real hope that change was possible. I heard remarkable stories of transformation, and it wasn't just in their words, it was obvious in their demeanour that these people had undergone some profound change.

I don't attend meetings anymore, they're a long distance, but they were a real help in the beginning and I still see a counsellor. I tried to quit all on my own, it didn't work too well. Some of it is up to you but it does help to have some guidance during the process.
Old 04-03-2012, 05:20 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yes - meetings helped me and in fact saved my life. I was able to replace the void as well as people, places, and things that were a constant trigger. I made a whole new world of awesome friends and got support for staying clean/sober. The deep, dark lonliness was gone at last.

27 years later and its still workin'.

I wish you the best.
Old 04-03-2012, 05:26 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

IF nothing else, you'll meet new, sober people at meetings. You'll widen your horizons and avoid that "Woe is me. I'm all alone" syndrome. There's a bunch of us around and we're all on a similar journey.

I was an isolated drinker. Me, my vodka and You Tube. I make a meeting in the early evening, when I'd typically start drinking, and that helps avoid two of my major triggers; boredom and loneliness.

Give it a try, you might like it.
Old 04-03-2012, 05:40 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
...not falling down them

Meetings definitely help. Meetings get me out of my own head. I get to be around people who totally "get it". The human contact with others in the same boat is priceless for me and I find myself nodding a lot listening to others talk about their experience, strength and hope, because it could be me talking, I totally relate to what they are saying.
Give it a try. You can always leave if you don't like it.
Old 04-03-2012, 06:16 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

I concur...... meetings almost definitely help.

There are ppl though, who'll tell you they had bad experiences and can't stand 'em, so there's no absolutes. A big part of whether they'll be helpful to you rests on your own shoulders. NA/AA recovery asks us to consider a lot of stuff......stuff that's hard to swallow. When I was in denial.......and hating meetings.......but going because I felt I HAD to -- they weren't all that helpful. It wasn't that the meetings weren't good......I was too busy building walls around me to really get involved and take part in the meeting.

Some meetings too.......well, some aren't so "healthy." Kinda like saying "how are women/men in Detroit." Well, some are awesome.......some.......not so awesome. There are meetings frickin everywhere so finding one that fits shouldn't be too big of a task.

And finally........while meetings can be very helpful.......they're not AA/NA in and of themselves. Meetings were never meant to keep one sober. That's what the 12-setps are for - they're the actual program. Practicing and incorporating the steps into your life, that's "working AA/NA." Meetings (the good ones anyway) are just where we go to talk about how we're working/incorporating those steps.

A good couple meetings really can help (they did for me anyway) keep ya sober but don't fall into the trap that hitting a couple meetings is all you need to do. Maybe it IS all you need to do and that's ok. If you're like me though, after a while.......things start to feel "off" again. For me, it was untreated alcoholism regaining power again.....and just hitting some meetings wasn't knocking it down. That was a good indication to me that I better get active in the actual recovery PROGRAM because just hitting the meetings wasn't sufficient.

--best of luck to you.
Old 04-03-2012, 06:34 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
...not falling down them

Daytrader, I detested meetings for the longest time. I did have some confusing experiences and like you built walls and didn't participate. You are right, there are no absolutes.

The group I attend most which has been 4x so far, they meet every day, seems a good fit. I enjoy it. One of the ladies is picking me up today because I don't have a car T/Th right now. The whole thing just clicks for me. Which has never happened before.

I have a different take on it now and I really want to work the program.

Thanks!

And best to you szavo, I hope you find a meeting that fits.
Old 04-03-2012, 06:51 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I agree with all of the above...