Notices

Starting over ... again

Old 03-30-2012, 03:57 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Professional Drunk

Willy...I am sure you just described the same vicious cycle we all have been fighting. It's that first 'celebratory' six-pack after a period of sobriety that always confuses me. Only an alcoholic can rationalize using alcohol to celebrate how much better their life is....since they stopped drinking alcohol...
Old 03-30-2012, 04:04 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Willy

We all want to be 'normal'....so most of us allow ourselves to think - 'ok, I haven't drunk for 30 days - that must mean I'm ok now!'

Of course the real truth is we're only 'ok' so long as we continue without booze.

SR was great for me in getting that message through my (massively) thick skull - I hope we can help you turn things around for yourself too

Welcome

D
Old 03-31-2012, 08:21 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Not I am not involved in AA-yet. This may be my next step.
Old 03-31-2012, 12:04 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi Willy

We all want to be 'normal'....so most of us allow ourselves to think - 'ok, I haven't drunk for 30 days - that must mean I'm ok now!'

Of course the real truth is we're only 'ok' so long as we continue without booze.

SR was great for me in getting that message through my (massively) thick skull - I hope we can help you turn things around for yourself too

Welcome

D
Thanks, Dee. I can totally relate to the "massively thick skull" image. All of my "yes, buts" and rationalizations have led me down that (ugly) primrose path to where I find myself today.

The one phrase that's helped me (most) lately is, "You're either moving toward a drink, or away from a drink" - paraphrasing - not sure where I heard it - but that's the gist. So simple, yet PROFOUND FOR ME for some reason. Pick up, or don't ... only I can make that choice. And even though those hard-fought steps away from a drink are incremental and can seem inconsequential in the short term, they do add up and make me believe I can "make it" in the long run.
Old 03-31-2012, 12:21 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jitterbugg View Post
Willy...I am sure you just described the same vicious cycle we all have been fighting. It's that first 'celebratory' six-pack after a period of sobriety that always confuses me. Only an alcoholic can rationalize using alcohol to celebrate how much better their life is....since they stopped drinking alcohol...
Yeah, I totally agree. I don't understand it either; sometimes I think that I'm entitled to "one of life's little pleasures" after a period of such hard-fought abstinence. I mean, we're only on this planet once, right? Why not indulge just a bit? The problem (for me) is that it's an an indulgence that ultimately takes me down to pits of such despair that life itself no longer seems worth living. Not suicidal here, but alcohol can take to to some really dark places!
Old 03-31-2012, 12:26 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by instant View Post
Willy. welcome to the club. With every step we learn. I am now over 10 months sober- in the past I have had a few weeks here and there, up to 6 weeks once, and six months once. Going back when you feel good, bored (eg with your exercise regime) or stressed is a big risk. I have gone down those roads.

This time I read the Big Book (free online), listened to a few AA speakers tapes (free online), joined here and come everyday and did the short course on the Rational Recovery Website (free- Jack has done the world a service).

Getting over the idea that we need to augment or turn off from reality and that sobriety is in some ways to the 'endured' are big hurdles. I didn't succeed previous times as I had not made that change. I needed a big transformation in the way I think about things, I am fortunate in that it has happened for me and I do think of it as spiritual.
How do I find the Big Book online? Thanks!
Old 03-31-2012, 12:36 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NewLeaf View Post
I'm back again, too, willynilly. There's nothing wrong with starting over as I've been reminded so often. We just have to keep working towards the ultimate goal.

Hang in there and don't allow things to fall apart. (Love Yeats, btw)

Day 1 for me too.
Thanks for the wise words, NewLeaf. Exactly: don't ALLOW things to fall apart. The centre must hold ...

Love George Eliot as well. One of my favorite quotes - An ass may bray a good while before he shakes the stars down.
Old 03-31-2012, 12:41 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by akberry View Post
I am a newby too, and I share your thoughts. I decided to drink last night. I am so ashamed of myself. I had been sober since 12/14/11. I have read as much as I can about alcoholism on the internet. I love being sober. It feels great! I just don't know what happened or why. Today is my new start date.
It happens. I can't explain why I relapsed either. My thoughts are with you. You are right: sobriety feels great! Keep it up!