Notices

Back In the World From Rehab

Old 03-28-2012, 08:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Back In the World From Rehab

and it's kind of like a sh*t storm but it's all a good lesson and I'm happy to be here and deal with the things in life, even the tough thing, soberly. First I thanked my land lady for saving my life, than cleaned up the wreckage in my place and made sure all booze was gone, next is putting financial stuff in order, checking mail that hasn't been opened in a month, attend AA. But I feel good about, juist pieces of my sober life I'm puting back together. I wish with all my heart I hadn't relapsed but I did so know I file it under lessons learned. I don't feel the sober time I had as thrown away, every moment sober is precious. You all have a wonderful day.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Awesome and welcome back home

You have a lovely day also.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome back Fitz!! We missed you!
Old 03-28-2012, 08:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

So very good to see you Fitz. Every day sober is precious. Thanks for the update. Hang in there.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's so good to see you back, Fitz.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:02 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Fitz-

Welcome back. I have missed your posts.

It must have taken a lot of courage to ask for help and more courage to be as honest as you are with your posts.
Thank you for sharing your story.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Have a good day!
Old 03-28-2012, 01:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The thing is I feel so much better sober phyiscally and emotionlly. I'm happier, more productive, feel better about myslf, relationships, etc. etc. Why in the world I pick up again. Tends to be 6-7 months sobriety then wham back at it. It must be a form of temporary sanity. Thjis time won't count sustainable recovery is more import to me than a chip. I am also greatly expanding my resources and my profesional and social interactions, replacing isolation with mindfulness. I believe I can learn from my "failures" and develop as a human being.
Old 03-28-2012, 01:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome back MycoolFitz! We sure missed you. I wanted to add, I'm so proud of you for seeking help when you needed it. Takes guts my friend.

:ghug3

Best Wishes To You!
Old 03-28-2012, 01:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by MycoolFitz View Post
The thing is I feel so much better sober phyiscally and emotionlly. I'm happier, more productive, feel better about myslf, relationships, etc. etc. Why in the world I pick up again. Tends to be 6-7 months sobriety then wham back at it.
Nah.......I don't buy that Fitz. I think it's simple, really simple.

You never got truly SOBER. (and I mean that using the "old" definition of the word, not simply the "not drinking alcohol" one commonly used today).

My AA great-grand sponsor tells a cool "story" that makes sense to me when he's asked what he's learned about relapse in 53 years since his last drink. He's run a treatment facility (was a therapist there), sponsored many 100's of ppl and has spent half a century in AA as a recovered alcoholic.

He tells about how when we drank, all 3 parts of us got "drunk" - our minds, our bodies and our souls. When we quit ingesting alcohol, the body portion sobers up but the other "parts" are still drunk. So......if you're an alcoholic who has all 3 components of alcoholism that the BB talks about (physical, mental and spiritual), not drinking only treats the physical - resulting in you being 33% sober and 66% drunk. Sure, you're not drinking.....but you're still more drunk than sober. From this point..... we prolly shouldn't even call it a relapse, yanno?

I've got a sponsee who had 5 years.....in AA, going to meetings, had a sponsor, worked the steps, and was sponsoring guys. His sponsor died........and within about 6 months he was out drinking again (actually, he started getting drunk on Listerine......then moved on to regular booze).

Now, how'd that happen? I mean.......he was not drinking for FIVE and a half years, he seemed to be doing all the stuff the AA folks do, yet he got drunk! (and he stayed out for about 6 years of on/off drinking, sobering up, going back out, etc). Unfortunately, he's not a SR member here or he'd tell ya himself. What he'd say is that I was physically sober and probably more mentally sober than drunk........but I didn't really work on the spiritual part. For him, nothing BUT recovery in all three areas will work. He blew 5+ years finding that one out. Maybe your case is similar.....I dunno.....but it's worth considering.
Old 03-28-2012, 01:47 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I guess that I can't care what you can't buy, that's how I feel and I ain't changing my story. My best to you
Old 03-28-2012, 01:54 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Your good to go in my book Fitz, welcome back

Yep, live and lean...it works for me and a good chunk of the worlds population too.