Notices

What do people do when they start thinking about drinking?

Old 03-23-2012, 03:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What do people do when they start thinking about drinking?

This is my 3 day sober and mainly content. Have not had too many thoughts/cravings about drinking. But like people said, I was thinking it's Friday and why night get some beer (since I really only drink vodka). If I buy a single beer and enjoy it later during basketball, wouldn't that be nice. But then I think when did I ever enjoy a single drink?
Old 03-23-2012, 03:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

One beer is pure torture if you're used to drinking to excess regularly. One beer is like eating one bite of a nice steak and then throwing the rest out.

It's tough at the beginning. I think you really have to tough it out. Find something to do that can take up lots of time, especially if you have lots of time.

I read almost a book a day the first month I was sober. That worked pretty well for me. If you don't like reading maybe you can rent a whole season of your favorite TV show or something like that.

Congrats on 3 days! Keep it up, things only get easier from here.
Old 03-23-2012, 03:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

This was a technique useful to me in the early days with cravings
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...e-surfing.html

Generally tho I think you just have to keep focusing on the fact that drinking hasn't worked - it's time to give sobriety and recovery a go

D
Old 03-23-2012, 04:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi mhgone. There was never one drink for me either. Loved it and couldn't get enough of it right from the beginning. It was tragic that I ever picked up.

Glad you're sharing these thoughts with us. Great job on your 3 days - soon it will be 4.
Old 03-23-2012, 04:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think you'll find that each time you get through one of those urges, it will get a bit easier for you the next time.
Old 03-23-2012, 04:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey mhgone

Personally at Day 3 I was still detoxing pretty bad. What helped though was losing myself in something. Books, video games, TV, AA meetings, just about anything that would keep my mind occupied. Slept a lot as well. Once I started feeling better I started going for long walks with a treat on the way back. Chocolate, a 'nice' coffee, usally something sweet.

But in all honesty, you pretty much just have to suck it up, stay strong and don't give in. All the best.

Oh yeah, almost forgot, I spend lots of time on SR...JD
Old 03-23-2012, 04:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have no detox problems and feel pretty good. I have read the urge surfing article and I totally agree with it. I have been doing a lot of cognitive work and reading a book called Feeling Good (which everyone should read). It's an amazing book and discusses that all depression is caused by illogical thinking.

I am sitting on my couch and the urge has passed. So onto day 4 of sobriety tomorrow.
Old 03-23-2012, 04:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Don't think about it anymore.
Old 03-23-2012, 05:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Early on in my sobriety I would just tell myself "Remember how bad your last hangover was, and how tough it was to detox..." that would get me through every time. I never, ever want to feel like that again.
Old 03-23-2012, 05:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I used to say "Drinking is not an Option". It always worked for me.
Good Luck with everything!
Old 03-23-2012, 05:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Ditto Gerry P.
If you take the option off the table, it is so much easier. Stay strong. It gets better.
you don't HAVE to drink.
Old 03-23-2012, 05:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I don't think about it too much at all & never in any sort of favorable light because I know better. On the rare occasion that I find myself fantasizing about alcohol I always remember waking up in the middle of the day in a total stupor, sick, from getting drunk early in the morning (after being drunk the night before). So sad and gross. Never going back. When you think about drinking, remember why you quit.

Last edited by MsJax; 03-23-2012 at 05:19 PM. Reason: took a word out that didn't belong.
Old 03-23-2012, 05:21 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I don't know. But I understand!!! I am at day 6, and I didn't have withdrawal either. I think that almost makes it harder because it's that much more easy for us to say, "why not?". But there is a reason you are looking at this, and have decided to stop drinking right now. Hold on to that reason. That's what is getting me thru.
Old 03-23-2012, 05:29 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Agreed with what everyone has said. The worst feeling in the world is going through detox. I went on a 4 day bender and on the 5th day was throwing up all day at work. I tell myself every day I will never go to that place.
Old 03-23-2012, 05:39 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

one drink? come on man really? there's no such thing, no matter how i try, it never works..