Notices

AA and Religion

Old 03-10-2012, 03:15 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by awuh1 View Post
Why so harsh TU? Your choice of words? “Pot shots”
There are a few in this thread, and I've already mentioned some of them.

“12 steppism”
What would you prefer I call a practical religious/spiritual/philosophical system that requires 'working the steps', and which has 12 steps in it?

“humble arrogance” (actually oxymoronic)
I know - precisely why I used it.

I think what Michelle was saying was that she’s open minded enough to come to view some things a bit differently than many of those around her (you can’t relate?). She is not afraid to say it.
I bolded the relevant parts, awuh1, and re-quoted it.

You state you are “not concerned about people's own experience and truth”. She is, as am I.
This was in response to Mark, meaning I am not concerned that someone has a particular 'experience'. What concerns me is the inferences drawn from that experience. Actually, I'll re-quote:

Originally Posted by michelle01
I think it took being an alcoholic for me to really discover the true meaning of spirituality...
↑↑↑↑↑↑
The 'experience'.

Originally Posted by michelle01
...though I'm a Christian I still like to meditate (think it would do a lot of Christians some good instead of just their petition prayers) and appreciate nature.
↑↑↑↑↑↑
The inference. Petition prayers? What is one to make of that? Michelle has apparently concluded that since she once didn't pray rightly (to borrow a line from the 12x12), others must not be doing so either.

It’s our currency in helping others, our stock in trade for part of our own recovery. She respectfully offered her view. She did not demand anyone accept it.
Nor did I. That said, just because someone has an 'experience' doesn't mean they get a free pass. I come from a country where the church helped run torture camps, but I'm sure that SR's Christian members wouldn't appreciate me arbitrarily extending my 'experience' to them.

It’s important to reiterate that she did not say “only drunks and junkies understand the true meaning of prayer”.
It was implied by the broad-stroke 'petition prayers' line.

Perhaps you’re reacting more to “drunks and junkies” who are the “would-be- prophets” from your own experience. But these “recovery types”, as you call them, are not the message. It’s wise not to confuse the two. That would seem to be a central point here.
The message? What message? Oh, you mean the one that says those church-goers don't really get spirituality, unlike us alcoholics?
Old 03-10-2012, 11:52 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Hay BigWou. I hope you find something that works, anything that works. I can relate to your upbringing (though it sounds like you had it worse than I did). Hope you keep us posted on how things are going. My best to you.