Notices

Vacation - cruise

Old 03-06-2012, 01:15 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
recovering using AVRT

I took a 7 day cruise last year that I did sober. I was in bed by 10 each night and up in time to watch the sun rise! Later in evenings I noticed some people getting loud and starting to stumble around and I it was a good feeling to know I wasn't going to waste my cruise being one of them! And, I had no desire to gamble without the drink. It was so much better than the booze fueled cruises of my past.

You are going to have a great time! Just remember, don't get too aggressive with your early morning rising! Between 5-7am most ships offer nothing more than sugary pastries and stale coffee anymore! Long gone are the days of 24 hour full service!
Old 03-06-2012, 01:51 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Originally Posted by laurie6781 View Post
They actually do have "Sober Cruises" now, lots of them:

Google

You might want to check some of them out, lol

Love and hugs,
That's pretty cool! I'll check them out.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:52 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Originally Posted by sober4metoday View Post
I took a 7 day cruise last year that I did sober. I was in bed by 10 each night and up in time to watch the sun rise! Later in evenings I noticed some people getting loud and starting to stumble around and I it was a good feeling to know I wasn't going to waste my cruise being one of them! And, I had no desire to gamble without the drink. It was so much better than the booze fueled cruises of my past.

You are going to have a great time! Just remember, don't get too aggressive with your early morning rising! Between 5-7am most ships offer nothing more than sugary pastries and stale coffee anymore! Long gone are the days of 24 hour full service!
Shoot, so no lattes?? : )
Old 03-06-2012, 02:01 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

We didn't go on a cruise, but my husband and I just went on one of those all-inclusive resort type trips to Cancun. We did the same trip about 4 years ago, I was drunk the entire time. This time, I actually had fun! Since alcohol was taken out of the equation, I was free to just have some plain ol' fun and relaxation. I also took advantage of the all inclusive-ness of the FOOD . I woke early each morning, sat outside and watched the waves, took walks (there should be a track on one level of the cruise ship!), ate delicious fruit for breakfast. I've been on cruises, there's tons to do at the different ports, you get off the boat and go DO things.. snorkel, hike, shop, lay on the beach, whatever. In Mexico we did some ziplines one day (really cool), layed around at the pool, went to a couple of fancy dinners out of the resort, we TALKED.. we laughed.. we people watched (love that.. a cruise is perfect for it!). Now.. I'm 3+ years sober, I don't honestly know how I would have felt about things had it been earlier in my recovery, but seriously, I had a blast. To not be weighed down by a hangover, a buzz, the stress of drinking, shame of getting drunk, opened up a super fun new travel world for me. I can't wait for my next trip! Enjoy!!
Old 03-06-2012, 02:25 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

I remember you talking about this trip Flutter. I've been to Mexico many times and was always drunk. I'm glad I'll have at least 5 mos when I go on this trip. I won't exactly be a seasoned sober traveler but it's better than nothing. Food comes with the cost of the cruise too. haha.

Originally Posted by flutter View Post
We didn't go on a cruise, but my husband and I just went on one of those all-inclusive resort type trips to Cancun. We did the same trip about 4 years ago, I was drunk the entire time. This time, I actually had fun! Since alcohol was taken out of the equation, I was free to just have some plain ol' fun and relaxation. I also took advantage of the all inclusive-ness of the FOOD . I woke early each morning, sat outside and watched the waves, took walks (there should be a track on one level of the cruise ship!), ate delicious fruit for breakfast. I've been on cruises, there's tons to do at the different ports, you get off the boat and go DO things.. snorkel, hike, shop, lay on the beach, whatever. In Mexico we did some ziplines one day (really cool), layed around at the pool, went to a couple of fancy dinners out of the resort, we TALKED.. we laughed.. we people watched (love that.. a cruise is perfect for it!). Now.. I'm 3+ years sober, I don't honestly know how I would have felt about things had it been earlier in my recovery, but seriously, I had a blast. To not be weighed down by a hangover, a buzz, the stress of drinking, shame of getting drunk, opened up a super fun new travel world for me. I can't wait for my next trip! Enjoy!!
Old 03-06-2012, 03:20 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

What ports are you stopping in?
Old 03-06-2012, 04:34 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I stayed sober on a cruise! It was fun. I got a soda card too.

We swam and laid out during the day, worked out at the gym, shopped, went to the spa. We also did a lot of EATING. It was awesome. 3 or 4 course meals every night. I went to AA meetings.

I did go to the comedy club and that was fun. We sat at a table in the disco and watched for a bit, then I wanted to leave. I am not into gambling at all, so we skipped that.

Oh, and the excursions! Do some fun ones. Like zip lining or something.

You can get all of these cool pictures taken also that you get to pick out at the end. Just imagine, you won't look all crocked in them!
Old 03-06-2012, 05:15 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Sounds like fun Lost...If you don't do a sober cruise it's probably not a bad idea to let them know before hand...that you are a non drinker and would prefer not to have the welcome bottle of champagne on the bed or a fully stocked mini bar when you get to your room..Sounds like a blast...You can play blackjack...If someone drinking next to you is going to bother you...You might have to spend the whole cruise in the chapel...Have fun!
Old 03-06-2012, 05:29 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I have looked into sober cruises and think that would be the greatest way to celebrate 1 year with girlfriends from AA.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:31 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Probably meet some friends of Bill on that one..
Old 03-06-2012, 05:42 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Think of all the fun stuff you can purchase with the money you would have spent on alcohol!!!! Also if you drink the pirates and crazy captains will get you!>!
Old 03-06-2012, 05:45 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I've never been on a cruise so I'm a bit jealous. As someone said, have a plan. You might want to structure your day more, so that you don't end up in situations where you might be tempted to drink.

Playing Blackjack when you are sober sounds like a better plan then trying to play when you have been drinking, you might actually win!

AA meetings on cruises? I hadn't thought of that, but that's a great idea.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:56 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Choublak: We haven't chosen a cruise yet. Pretty much anything is game. But likely either the Meditteranean or the Caribbean.

Elisabeth: Where did you go? Sounds like you had a good time! We are very active types and always do tons of stuff on vacation - I just always have a drink in hand.

Sapling: Really good point. Unless you are on a luxury cruise, most do not give you welcome bottles of champagne. They do stock your mini fridge and those come at a very high cost. I'm ok with it being there. You are assigned a steward who cleans your room and whatnot. The first day I'll probably give it to him and say we are non-drinkers. My husband might want to have a drink and that's fine. He's normal.

Jobei: Shopping, yay!!!

Zebra: Cruise ships have full day itineraries. They give out a daily newsletter that's packed with activities. Last cruise I went on, they had cooking demonstrations, comedy shows, Broadway-type shows, lectures, tours of the ship, yoga classes, a library, a computer/internet cafe, a jogging track, mini-golf, swimming pools. Hourly trivia with giveaways, etc. Tons of stuff to do. You should try one. I think everyone should. It's quite the experience.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:24 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

We just did a short one to Cozumel and I had fun.

Jamaica is my favorite place that we have ever been Caribbean wise though. We got married in Negril and if my marriage makes it through all of this crap I would like to go back.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:54 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

When I've slacked in my recovery program...I've often been "given" warning signs that things are awry. Maybe it's a drinking dream, maybe fear of a social engagement coming up, maybe it's a look from a friend in recovery that kinda tells me they're hearing/seeing something in me that doesn't add up.

Let's not put the cart before the horse.....it's not even a sure thing yet so don't get toooooo worked up over it. On a good note, use this as an opportunity to take a good hard look at what you're doing/not doing to stay on the recovery path.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:11 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

You can go to the cruiseline website and do a search for AA meetings and get a schedule for your cruise. On the cruises I've been on they turned the library room over in the late afternoon for those interested in recovery. I went about every 3rd day, could have been more active but they kept us pretty busy.

Didn't see any obvious drunks on board at all, good fun crowd.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:47 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Originally Posted by Elisabeth888 View Post
Jamaica is my favorite place that we have ever been Caribbean wise though. We got married in Negril and if my marriage makes it through all of this crap I would like to go back.
Me too!!! We stayed in a little hotel called CocoLaPalm right on Negril's 7 mile beach. I loved that place. Very kind people. Hope your marriage makes it. I feel sad everytime I see one fall apart.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:50 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Originally Posted by DayTrader View Post
When I've slacked in my recovery program...I've often been "given" warning signs that things are awry. Maybe it's a drinking dream, maybe fear of a social engagement coming up, maybe it's a look from a friend in recovery that kinda tells me they're hearing/seeing something in me that doesn't add up.

Let's not put the cart before the horse.....it's not even a sure thing yet so don't get toooooo worked up over it. On a good note, use this as an opportunity to take a good hard look at what you're doing/not doing to stay on the recovery path.
Hmm, I've had drinking dreams. Thank god just dreams.

It most definitely will be a sure thing as if I don't get a vacay from my work I'm gonna freak! It's just a matter of where and when in May.

What I'm doing: Getting out of my box. Doing social things when I don't wanna. Going to the gym daily when I don't wanna (although lately I'm beginning to want to go). Talking opening to my husband about my sobriety and the challenges. Attending AA mtgs. at least once a week, sometimes more.

What I'm not doing: This one's harder. I'd say the only thing I haven't done which I said I would is contact a sponsor. I'm not 100% sure on that one anyhow, but I have not done it.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:51 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Originally Posted by langkah View Post
You can go to the cruiseline website and do a search for AA meetings and get a schedule for your cruise. On the cruises I've been on they turned the library room over in the late afternoon for those interested in recovery. I went about every 3rd day, could have been more active but they kept us pretty busy.

Didn't see any obvious drunks on board at all, good fun crowd.
OK, now I know where to look. Thanks langkah!
Old 03-07-2012, 09:57 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Oh, and on kind of a side note...we heard a lot about sneaking booze on the cruise to avoid the high cost of drinking. Some talked about buying OJ and vodka and keeping it in their room. One couple we met on the ship told my husband they put whiskey in contact lens solution bottles and vodka w/food coloring in mouthwash bottles so they could sneak it on. Wow. I was glad that's not me anymore. I didn't find that as smart as I did sad.