Notices

Vacation - cruise

Old 03-28-2012, 01:45 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Let's see...I lived 21 years in San Juan....I've been to St. Maarten maybe five times...Half French and half Dutch...I really liked the French side but you can drive around the island in less than a day...St Thomas...Mayb 100 times...I used to fly there for lunch...20 minutes from San Juan....Spent about a month in St Lucia....Beautiful...Barbados too...About a month there...Both have really nice people....I never went to St. Kitts...I don't know why...I've sailed by it more than once and all Ive heard is that it's quiet and beautiful...I've got to cut out for a bit...I'll give you some good ideas for your itinerary...PM me what line you are on...They used to leave 10 minutes from my house and my ex worked for Princess a couple years while we were there.
Old 03-28-2012, 01:49 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lost3000 View Post
I also realized, that coladas are more like shakes. In that they are rum and cokes. It's mostly juices and other stuff that make them super yummy, not the rum.
It's coconut cream with Pineaple juice and ice blended smooth....They're fricken delicious....Just don't add rum.
Old 03-28-2012, 01:54 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Originally Posted by Sapling View Post
Let's see...I lived 21 years in San Juan....I've been to St. Maarten maybe five times...Half French and half Dutch...I really liked the French side but you can drive around the island in less than a day...St Thomas...Mayb 100 times...I used to fly there for lunch...20 minutes from San Juan....Spent about a month in St Lucia....Beautiful...Barbados too...About a month there...Both have really nice people....I never went to St. Kitts...I don't know why...I've sailed by it more than once and all Ive heard is that it's quiet and beautiful...I've got to cut out for a bit...I'll give you some good ideas for your itinerary...PM me what line you are on...They used to leave 10 minutes from my house and my ex worked for Princess a couple years while we were there.
Sapling!!! You rock!!!!! For some reason I thought Siint Maarten was different that St. Martin - same place?? I'll write you later - super busy at work. Thanks!!!!!!!!
Old 03-28-2012, 01:54 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Originally Posted by Sapling View Post
It's coconut cream with Pineaple juice and ice blended smooth....They're fricken delicious....Just don't add rum.
Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (and no rum, definitely none of that).
Old 03-28-2012, 02:07 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

DayTrader: Just wanted to say, the below is something I've given tons of thoughts to in the last few months:

"...for he isn’t happy about his sobriety. He cannot picture life without alcohol."

Yeah, sometimes I'm not happy about my sobriety. But not very often, and those times are becoming more and more rare. Picturing my life without alcohol? In the beginning it was something I didn't want to look at, it was too hard. Now I can honestly say I can imagine my life that way. But also being honest, in that I did have that bummed out feeling when I saw the pics - just like the feeling I described above. I don't know how else to describe it. It was a bummer feeling but a feeling of, I know it can't/won't happen.

Yesterday I was thinking to myself - interesting how I do all these things for sobriety, mtgs, sponsor. Definitely no going back. And then I told myself, how do you feel about that? Knowing you will never drink again, you will be forever sober? I didn't really have an answer - it was more like, well, it is what it is.
Old 03-28-2012, 02:29 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Cool.....

Glad you didn't misinterpret what I was saying.

It's helped me to try to see both sides of things even when I think I'm doing the "right" think or when I'm sure I'm on solid ground. My post was really more something to put in the back of your mind and consider for a while.

I DON'T believe in hiding from booze. That doesn't usually work in and of itself...not for long anyway. That little paragraph has helped me more than just early in sobriety though. Sometimes I find myself doing that "whistling in the dark" in other areas of recovery beyond just the 'not drinking' part. ...things like ducking responsibility, acting immaturely, avoiding things I need to do in favor of doing things I want to do..... all things that I convince myself I can do with impunity at the time I'm planning or doing them.

Seems you're right where you're supposed to be. I did a LOT of thinking, pondering, figuring, etc for the first maaaany months. Early sobriety is darn confusing - at least it was for me. I never know what will resonate with whom...good of you to be so open minded though - I've found that to be an important component to recovery.
Old 03-28-2012, 02:34 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Cruises have meetings! Look for "Friend of Bill" on the itinerary sheet. You will have a great time!
Old 03-28-2012, 02:46 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Originally Posted by DayTrader View Post
Cool.....

Glad you didn't misinterpret what I was saying.

It's helped me to try to see both sides of things even when I think I'm doing the "right" think or when I'm sure I'm on solid ground. My post was really more something to put in the back of your mind and consider for a while.

I DON'T believe in hiding from booze. That doesn't usually work in and of itself...not for long anyway. That little paragraph has helped me more than just early in sobriety though. Sometimes I find myself doing that "whistling in the dark" in other areas of recovery beyond just the 'not drinking' part. ...things like ducking responsibility, acting immaturely, avoiding things I need to do in favor of doing things I want to do..... all things that I convince myself I can do with impunity at the time I'm planning or doing them.

Seems you're right where you're supposed to be. I did a LOT of thinking, pondering, figuring, etc for the first maaaany months. Early sobriety is darn confusing - at least it was for me. I never know what will resonate with whom...good of you to be so open minded though - I've found that to be an important component to recovery.
LOL - I'm way past my resentful, defensive mode. It's still there, I'm not cured, but I feel much more sane. Able to listen to others and then think before I respond. And then think some more. I think I've come a long way. SR is great for that, you can look back on things you've said/done.

I don't believe in hiding from booze either. In fact, being around situations like my previous bar outing (friend died, his celebration of life was in a bar - I know, I know) help me realize that I'm still the same person, I just don't drink. It also helped me to realize I won't freak out and guzzle booze, if I choose not to. I had a good time, and while short because I was in a bar with a bunch of drunks, I enjoyed my friends' company.

I do feel I am where I should - a feeling I haven't had in years. Thanks DayTrader.
Old 03-28-2012, 02:47 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Originally Posted by Eliasson View Post
Cruises have meetings! Look for "Friend of Bill" on the itinerary sheet. You will have a great time!
Yeah!! I heard about them. I know where to look too, as I've asked other people who cruise on my exact itinerary.
Old 03-28-2012, 03:23 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

You staying in the Condado Plaza in San Juan Lost?
Old 03-28-2012, 03:32 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Sapling, nope. I'll write you shortly.