Notices

When I am ever going to get it!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-07-2012, 08:37 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Zee

Never drinking again means never feeling like you do now... beating yourself up, hating yourself. Also, never having a hangover is a bonus!
From every high comes a low.

Edit... that sounded a bit dramatic.. sorry. Always easy to say when you are over those first few days, weeks, month etc. You'll be fine, just focus on the good stuff.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:43 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Waaaay back, scientists were convinced the world was flat. That was the best they could figure. As "evidence" came in to the contrary, they resisted that evidence - probably because they didn't want to be wrong. They were content with reality as they understood it and were afraid to look at the opposite of their long-standing beliefs because they (probably) figured "it wouldn't be good." Obviously, their fears were unnecessary and as they learned more about the planet being round, a whoooooole new group of opportunities opened up that they'd never been able to see before.

Accepting alcoholism is kinda like that. It "seems" like, if you accept it, all you'll have is the same life.......just not drinking ever again. The reality can be, however, that recognizing your own alcoholism (IF you're an alcoholic that is.....believe me, it's worth your time to find out for sure....and ppl here can help you with that if you're interested) also opens up a huuuuge list of wonderful things you can't see yet. --that's the way it was for me and for a lot of others I know who've recovered from alcoholism.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:59 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by Wellness View Post
I am so afraid to admit that I'm an alcoholic because that would mean I can never have a drink ever again.
That's not entirely accurate, since many who admit that they are alcoholics can and do keep right on drinking — and die the hard way. Conversely, I don't consider myself an alcoholic, but I never drink. I can certainly understand your reluctance to never drink again, though. If that idea didn't scare you, then you wouldn't be addicted. As DT pointed out, though, accepting reality can open up many opportunities that you can't even imagine at this point.