Notices

No desire to be a normal drinker, anyone else?

Old 03-06-2012, 12:40 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Yes to OP, and in realizing that "normal" drinking was never something I really sought after, it was easier to give up the notion of ever moving on to that.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:42 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
lillyknitting

Can I also add that I never, ever, ever went out to get drunk. I like the first drink, so much so I have a second. Then that nice feeling comes over me and I take a third. After that I have no choice..... It's either get another or get the right hump!!!
Old 03-06-2012, 04:04 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

A couple of times I thought that glass of wine others were having would go good with the gnocci or salmon or whatever. Then it sank in that I like drinking water - even at a nice restaurant. And not that fancy Pelligrino stuff either, despite what the waiter thinks I should drink

I've even had a cup of coffee after dinner a few times. Never understood that before, but it's kinda nice!

I also notice that I'm not the only one without a "drink". Never noticed that before either.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:04 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Originally Posted by Mainza
Has anyone else reached a point where you think complete sobriety is a better way of life than normal drinking (assuming you could do this)? Am I being arrogant for thinking this?
Absolutely, yes for me. I do not want to be in a chemically altered state...not even a little buzzed. Ever. There is nothing arrogant about wanting to experience all of life...the good, the bad, and the ugly, in a completely present state of mind. I am a non-drinker...not solely because drinking completely effed up my life, but mainly because I want to be involved in every moment, painful or joyous, completely. I have come to realize that happiness is not the absence of pain, it is accepting that all of it plays a part in life. Living life takes true courage...and true courage does not come from a bottle or any other outside source. It comes from within.
Thanks for your thread, Mainza...love it!
Old 03-06-2012, 05:21 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Very beautifully said Soberlicious!
I have absolutely no desire to drink ever again.
Why would I want to be miserable, unsatisfied, defeated, insecure, depressed, anxious, sick?
That's all alcohell ever gave me.
My life is mine now. Peaceful, content, serene, & full. Is it perfect? No way, but I wouldn't want to miss a single second of it. Ups, downs & in betweens. Perfectly sober
Old 03-06-2012, 05:28 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
dude in recovery

Unlike so many drinkers (normal or not) out there, alcohol never helped me talk my way into anything good. Friendship, sex, work, nope .. My 'Beer Goggles' only made the next round look better each time and anything\everything else would just get in the way. I am really trying to work on the 'sober me' now, not the "gee, if I could only talk like, drink like, act like, look like that guy I'd have life made."
Old 03-06-2012, 07:51 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

It's weird, isn't it? At first the idea of "never" seems so scary, like a huge sacrifice. But when you finally accept it—no, embrace it—it's just a huge relief. No more having to force yourself to stay the course, or feeling like you're missing out. It's unbelievably liberating. At least that's how it is for me.

Awesome thread, all you rock stars.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:16 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Hi Everyone.
I am not an alcoholic, but my partner is. Some time ago I made the decision to become T-Total to support my AH....

Well, do you know what.... it was the best thing I ever did!

I absolutely love my new life. I am fitter and healthier than I have ever been.
I still do all the things I used to but now days my money stays in my purse and goes onto my savings account, I drive home safely and warm at the end of the night, I wake up fresh as a daisy the following morning and even better that I am never the one with the ''embarrassing' memory from the night before!

Sadly my AH has relapsed... but without doubt the only reason I can cope with this, remain happy and stay positive is ''because'' of my own sobriety. I have such inner strength now and I am really proud of who I've become.

Sobriety gave this non-alcoholic all that and more and I have faith that in time my AH will get here too.

I will raise my empty glass to sobriety!!!!

Have a good day all.
Old 03-07-2012, 01:52 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zxcirce View Post
I don't understand normal drinking. Never have never will.

Why in the world would I (or anyone?) want to drink a small amount of disgusting liquid and maybe just get tired for an hour or so? I just cannot understand it! I drank for the reward of oblivion. Alcohol tastes effin disgusting, I'm not drinking it if I'm not getting smashed for my efforts!!!

I suppose that just shows the difference between norm-ies and me-ies.
I'm starting to question whether it's correct to even call them normies. What is so normal about wanting to drink a small amount of poison and feel a little lightheaded/tired for a while? Then again, what I was doing isn't normal either...drinking to blackout every single night. But I really don't see any middle ground there. Nothing is pleasant about it in any amount!