Notices

3/4/2012 new sober date

Old 03-05-2012, 09:27 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think stopping hanging out with friends who drink is really, really important. Of course your friends say they support you, but ultimately, you need to be in a position where you are able to not drink without relying on friends to help you. It's hard for others to understand that alcoholism is a life and death situation for many of us, and we do understand how hard it is.

I hope your face feels better.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:29 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I agree...My drinking "friends" was the first change I made...
Old 03-05-2012, 09:42 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Sober is Better

I appreciate everyone thank you for the well wishes. time for more ibuprofen. I had the option of some serious pain meds, but i dont want to get back onto those (they used to be another addiction of mine)... so generic it is!!
Old 03-05-2012, 09:45 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I got very lucky in the circle of friends that I have... even when they are drunk off their bottoms they are watching me like a hawk making sure I am not drinking. But, the point is that is my resoonsiblity to keep me sober. Noone elses.

You started off great... but, with only 27 days under your belt it was (IMHO) to early to return to that enviorment.

I relapsed so many times before I came to understand the difference between wanting to drink without consquences and wanting to stop drinking for me. When I figured the second out.. I was ready.

Good luck!!
Old 03-05-2012, 11:01 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

WSS, so sorry to hear about the relapse. It happens though mano, so now you have the choice of either let it bring you down, or just consider it a necessary lesson, progress on your way up the ladder. Think of it as if you tripped up a stair while climbing to the higher floors. Shame that your face bore the brunt of the fall though. I've got so many scars from my 'knucklehead years' that I've named them lol. Worse thing you can go through is not a scar that can heal. It's those incurable injuries, diseases, and syndromes that alcohol can present. They never heal and it really, really sucks to know you have been permanently, irreparably damaged by something you essentially did to yourself.

BTW you are on the right path by immersing yourself in the program right now. 90 in 90 is not a bad idea. I'd also suggest that daytrader knows what he's on about amigo, so listen to him. Other people will NEVER help you stay sober. People are fallible. The only person that you need support from stares at you from the mirror when you brush your teeth. You need to stop drinking, even in the potential absence of any outside help and support at all.

Get to work on the steps bro. Try AVRT as well. And yeah, f**k the heavy duty pain meds. Don't know what they wanted to give you, Oxy, Tramadol, codeine of some sort? Anyways, matters not. You don't need them for a cut up face. For addicts, Advil is all we need right up to broken bones.

I'd just like to echo Sapling and Anna, leave your drinking friends alone for a while. In fact, put them on a pay-no-mind list for an extended period. Eventually you can reintegrate yourself into any situation - once you're working on a strong recovery. But Believe me, 6 months to a year of "opting out" of your current social life and interactions - while you get your ducks in a row - is always the smartest play. Get your own house in order before inviting people to visit mate, and don't put a time limit on how long that might take.

I said this here not long ago and I'm nothing if not repetitive... "If you have a propensity for getting bitten by sharks, isn't it wise to take snorkeling, scuba diving, and maybe surfing off your 'to do' list, at least for a while?"

Good luck and get 'er done.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:22 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Sober is Better

I agree peter! thank you and yes im listening to everything that has been written on here today for sure... lots of good people
Old 03-05-2012, 12:24 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry you had to go through that WSS but I'm glad you're back

D
Old 03-05-2012, 12:24 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

WhySoSerious, I'm glad you weren't hurt worse. I was just reading another thread that another member started a couple of days ago. His 21-year-old friend went missing after leaving the bar drunk. He was found dead in the river today. It's so sad.