Notices

Alcohol with dinner

Old 03-04-2012, 09:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcohol with dinner

Hello, ive posted before with my painpill addiction, i'm an addict and alcoholic. and on my lonely nights in these hotel rooms while im out of town for work, missing my angel of a wife and kids, I have been thinking about the ocassional beer or glass of wine.

My question is, being an addict/alcoholic, is it ever ok to have one beer watcing an (INSERT FAVORITE SPORT HERE) game or a glass of wine at dinner once a week? If an alcoholic can keep it at one drink a game or one glass of wine at dinner would that be acceptable? Or would it be starting the long road back to being out of control?

just thoughts, i havent had a drink in over three years and have my pills under control, taking as prescribed waiting to get with a surgeon to discuss my options to limit/stop the pain.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

A drink with dinner......or at a sporting event isn't really a problem for a non-alcoholic. Hell, getting drunk isn't really a big problem for a non-alkie....

I sense you're perhaps a little loose with your definition of "alcoholic" or you wouldn't ask. For an ALCOHOLIC, no......1 drink is not advisable........unless it's your intent to die.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

If an alcoholic can keep it at one drink a game or one glass of wine at dinner would that be acceptable?
If any of us could do that we wouldn't be here cruzantx.

I tried tho. If it holds any weight at all, I tried for 20 years - sometimes I managed to keep things together...for a time...but sooner or later I always 'lost it' again.

I'm really glad I finally accepted alcohol and I are bad news together - once I have that first glass, all bets are off.

I know how tempting it is to think 'I have x years sober, maybe I'm ok now'....it doesn't work like that in my experience. I've seen guys go back after 5 10 25 years....with tragic results.

I believe there's no reset button cruzantx.

D
Old 03-04-2012, 09:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Ive retired from drinking, yea sometimes i think about those days, but for me there gone, to think I could go back to that for me is crazy, I never enjoyed just 1 or 3 anyway.

I know being away from your family must be hard, I wish you peace until you return home.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've tried that many times. Just have one with dinner, or a couple with the guys during a game. It always led me back to full blown alcohol abuse.

Complete abstinance is so much easier.

God bless.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

If you are taking the pills as directed, there is no need to put alcohol in there, that is just a bad mix. I tried drinking one. It never worked for me.

Welcome back! Stick around.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

For alcoholics such as myself. There is no such thing as just 1. Just 1 does nothing for me, it's gonna take a lot more than that, and God knows where that leads.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Location: Overseas... on the shore of an uncharted desert isle.
I wouldn't risk it. Plus like most people on this board, multiple attempts to moderate drinking ("just one with dinner") is something that's been tried before we eventually quit for good.

Rationalization is a powerful force. In my case, "just one does no harm" could easily morph into "just one does no good (eg. as in a buzz)" and pretty soon - not the first time I tried to moderate but perhaps the 2nd, 3rd or 4th time, we get "oh s***, 4 glasses of wine..! oh well, might as well finish the bottle". And, that usually helps tip us back into our regular drinking habits.

In my experience, it is a lot easier to go teetotal than try to moderate. If you're drinking, well-intentioned friends, hosts and company are always trying to top your glass or freshen your (alcoholic) drink. "Normal" people (eg. without drinking problems) somehow seem to have this amazing willpower to leave a full glass of beer alone when they've had enough; the Homer Simpson in me fully-recognizes that wasting beer is a serious felony offense.

If any of these situations sound even mildly familiar, maybe a good sign not to go there.
Old 03-05-2012, 02:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
So it goes

I can only repeat what I read from Dgilz (and others)
"If moderation worked, we'd have a moderation forum here, and you could browse through it to read all of the moderation success"
Old 03-05-2012, 03:10 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
instant

There is no point to one drink.
Old 03-05-2012, 04:08 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

In my opinion, this is your addict-brain talking to you, and I hope that you recognize it and let it go.
Old 03-05-2012, 05:40 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

My alcoholic mind has never understood the concept of one drink. So much easier to live life with out the mind games and obsession.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:45 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

One drink just made me mad.

God bless.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:47 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I am new here, but have quickly learned, for me, it is never just one. It may not ever be crazy, days long benders like some stories I read, but it is *never* just one. Almost always, if I start a bottle of wine, I finish it.

I tried on vacation(where my relapse really took off). I had dh get me one glass of wine at the bar(I had none in the room). And I had him go get me another. One was not enough. Neither was 2, really, but it was all I was getting. By the end of a 2.5 week vacation, I easily had a whole bottle most nights.

Ugh.

with 3 years sober, I hope you can keep it going. That is great.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:56 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
recovering using AVRT

What's one drink? Can somebody explain to me what one drink is? I want to help answer this questions but I don't know what one drink is!!!! Maybe one of the other alcoholics could help me with that?

One drink = 10 drinks to me
Old 03-05-2012, 08:33 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

I've come to associate one drink, not with the charming pretty people in the advertisements, but with my reality. I spent months taking a regular pull from the vodka bottle and staring at the driveway, stuck in a dark hole of depression and anxiety. This improved only when I eliminated that alcohol from my life, and it got so much better than I could ever have imagined.

Would I like a pint of Creemore's Best Bitter or a glass of that Rioja Reserva? No thanks, I don't drink.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:59 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jocata View Post
One drink just made me mad.

God bless.
This.