Notices

Happy I lapsed. Why?? :/

Old 03-01-2012, 06:17 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sharzy View Post
Sapling, I have been to only one AA meeting, so far and that was tonight, and no I did not sit there staring at the clock, I listened intentley to the speaker and I listened to the other members in the room.

TU - Scared sh**less
That's good...Congats on your first meeting...That's a plan...Stopping for good scared me too...Take it one day at a time...
Old 03-01-2012, 06:18 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
SR Fan

I think I need to start living 1 hour or even 1 minute at a time as it is far to scary to look too far ahead???
That's what I had to do at first, too..... Just bite off what you can chew. I found that the urges would come and go - they don't last forever (thank God!) and it does get easier after a while......

I hear you on the other point, too - It's definitely too scary to think about "forever"..... In fact, I found that when I applied "one day at a time" to my LIFE and not just my drinking, it helped reduce some of the stress and fear that lived in my brain all the time.

Hang in there!
Old 03-01-2012, 06:22 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

TU I did not immeadiatley say yes to myself, I actually just sat here and thought "Do I"

That's upsetting
Old 03-01-2012, 06:22 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Well until I do then I am stuck
Old 03-01-2012, 06:23 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I do, but (and I know there should be no buts) I'm scared
Old 03-01-2012, 06:25 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

TU I did not immeadiatley say yes to myself, I actually just sat here and thought "Do I"

That's upsetting
I'd be upset.
Every time I thought like that I wasn't done.
Something had to happen for me to be like omg I CAN'T do that anymore.
Now, I have to spend at least half as much of the energy that I use to put into drinking/drugging into my recovery to be ok.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:26 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
I know.

That's upsetting
This is very good. You are actually doing very well, Sharzy.

Would you like me to send you some information that will clarify all of this for you?
Old 03-01-2012, 06:28 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Yes please x
Old 03-01-2012, 06:31 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Yes please x
Check your inbox.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:36 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Thankyou TU, and everyone else who commented

Not so happy now but that is a good thing.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:50 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I'll just note, you put yourself in between a rock and a hard place, done the same thing many times myself, I found that stopping and starting will in the long term hinder your recovery. If you can stay stopped for quits (know it's difficult sometimes) it is ultimately better for you. But, onwards and upwards now
Old 03-01-2012, 07:44 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Not so happy now but that is a good thing.
Yep, no pain, no gain. Being scared is part of it, too. But it doesn't last. You can free yourself of this. And that does last.

I admire your openness, by the way. I see a lot of encouraging signs in the things you've posted tonight. I suspect you're going to find the info TU sent you really enlightening. Might be worth coming back and reading this thread again afterwards. I think you'll see a lot of these conflicted emotions of yours in a revealing new light.

You can do it, Sharzy.
Old 03-02-2012, 03:59 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
recovering using AVRT

Originally Posted by Round234 View Post
Thats why you don't think of it as never drinking EVER again .......

One day at a time. MUCH easier that way.
One hour at a time if you have to
I will never drink again. I will never change my mind.

That's my motto. Everyone has their own method. It's probably not a good idea to tell someone this shouldn't be an option. Telling yourself you will never drink again is, perhaps, too daunting of a goal for you but, for me, telling myself "one day at a time" translates to "because you might drink tomorrow" and that doesn't work for me. Drinking tomorrow isn't an option, EVER. Period, end of story. I demonstrate self-restraint in many daily aspects of my life and drinking is now one of them.
Old 03-02-2012, 04:05 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sober4metoday View Post
I will never drink again. I will never change my mind.

That's my motto. Everyone has their own method. It's probably not a good idea to tell someone this shouldn't be an option. Telling yourself you will never drink again is, perhaps, too daunting of a goal for you but, for me, telling myself "one day at a time" translates to "because you might drink tomorrow" and that doesn't work for me. Drinking tomorrow isn't an option, EVER. Period, end of story. I demonstrate self-restraint in many daily aspects of my life and drinking is now one of them.
How long has that worked for you?...Because I could never get that...My alcoholism put my self restraint to shame...
Old 03-02-2012, 04:22 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
recovering using AVRT

I'm not powerless over alcohol. Alcohol is powerless over me. Everyone has their own method. Some people believe that alcohol has power over them and they quit for that reason. Whatever works!
Old 03-02-2012, 04:31 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I'm Only powerless over alcohol ONCE I've taken my first drink.

I, one day at a time, choose freely not too.

Our desired end results are exactly the same.

Whatever works.

For you.

Rex
Old 03-02-2012, 04:34 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I uised to think I could beat this thing on my own sober4metoday....I acually put up a string of almost 10 months...I was more miserable then....Then when I was drinking...My ex-wife even told me that...She told me I was better off drinking....I drank...Fast forward seven years later....Drinking over a case of beer a day alone.. in a dark room...I had to admit I couln't beat this thing...When I first went to AA because it was the last stop for me...They talked about surrendering to win...That passed me in both lanes....I didn't get that at all....The more I read what the program was about(Big Book)...Asked questions...The more that made sense to me....I had to throw in the towel...Wave the white flag....Get on my knees....And give up....I was beaten. And only then could I start to work on changing my life....And I needed a major overhaul...
Old 03-02-2012, 04:40 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
recovering using AVRT

I am happy for anyone who chooses something that works. I just don't think we should be telling anyone looking for help that one method doesn't work <over another method> because that's simply not true. You do AA, I do AVRT. That doesn't mean one is better than the other - they're just different.
Old 03-02-2012, 04:43 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

I'm only telling you what worked for me...Any way you can live a happy and free life away from alcohol is fine with me..I wish you the best...

PS...I didn't realise you were using AVRT...You mentioned self restraint...I thought you giving it a go on your own. Just telling my experience with that.
Old 03-02-2012, 05:23 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I have just read the Crash Course on AVRT and I admit it is very good. Will be ordering the book today