Notices

Quitting is harder than i thought..

Old 02-29-2012, 05:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Quitting is harder than i thought..

10 days sober and i go to the bar.. Not to drink, just to meet up with old friends and shoot the ****/play some dice..

Bartender offers me a beer and i accept, this is less than 10 seconds from entering the place. I CANNOT go there anymore. Thought i was stronger than that, but no.. Drunk now...
Old 02-29-2012, 05:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't know what to say....
Old 02-29-2012, 05:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think many of us have underestimated the task at hand, at least initially.

Looking back I know I really didn't have any idea of the extent of the changes I had to make Kallum...I thought all I had to do was simply not drink and not change anything else...

I really believed I was strong enough to be around alcohol, and people drinking, loads of times...but it never worked out that way for me.

I had to train myself up to that level of strength.

D
Old 02-29-2012, 05:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yeah...You have to have a better plan than that....I'd recommend finding someplace safer to hang out than a bar....Someplace that doesn't serve alcohol...There's got to be something.
Old 02-29-2012, 05:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
recovering using AVRT

You went to a bar and you got drunk. You could have not gone to a bar and not got drunk. Hopefully you'll choose the latter next time!
Old 02-29-2012, 06:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
SR Fan

First of all, you had 10 days sober, which is a great start....... I think it's really hard in the early days to put ourselves in those kind of situations and expect to not drink. But you're here talking about it (another positive thing) and it sounds like you've learned something from it.

Tomorrow's a good day to begin again.....
Old 02-29-2012, 06:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I don't really understand why people do that, I guess because I know my temptations. I'm currently quitting, I have been invited "out" twice tonight. I declined, because I know even if I go out to a movie with no alcohol, it'll trigger a panick attack and thus trigger me to get to the closest bar to drink. I'm not going to put myself in those situations anytime soon. I'd rather stay home every night. I even cancelled plans to attend a concert/music festival with my friends this weekend, because I know damn well what everyone is going to be doing there.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

avoiding temptation

in the beginning stage, i also have cancelled plans--i am not ready to be in a bar yet. i definitely think i need to work up to that. i would prefer to stay in and get a few more days behind me than go out and feel the strong desire to drink, especially if all of my friends are drinking.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

good luck, kallum. start fresh tomorrow!
Old 02-29-2012, 06:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
<3 RB u saved my heart <3

i did that yesterday but i came on here just like you did n tonight i dont have any desire to drink.the support here is helpful and tomorrow is another day to stay on track
Old 02-29-2012, 06:40 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I had to change the people I hung with, and the places I hung at. Just too many temptations.

God bless.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:46 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Sorry I think my post came off a little harsh, everyone here cares, we're all going through the same thing, Kallum. Day 1 starts tomorrow.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:49 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
recovering using AVRT

I was planning on ditching all my drinking buddies but they all beat me to the punch! Apparently, I'm no good to them sober!
Old 02-29-2012, 07:07 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by eh1988 View Post
Sorry I think my post came off a little harsh, everyone here cares, we're all going through the same thing, Kallum. Day 1 starts tomorrow.
I don't think it came off harsh at all...Spot on is more like it. I spent my first three months going to meetings and working the steps...That was all the entertainment I needed...People say...You went to a meeting every day??....Yeah....before...I drank every day too.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:34 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
~sb

Sorry that happened. I spent a couple hours talking and laughing with 19 other drunks, except none of us were drinking alcohol. I can remember the conversations, too.

I heard it takes 30 days to change a habit. I spent over 25 (really 35 years) drinking. I know it took me at least 30 days to not get in the habit of drinking. Try to find a program and work that so you can have immunity against picking up that drink. You can do it!! Start again!!
Old 02-29-2012, 07:36 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Yeah Kallum, what you tried was just too hard. I'm at day eleven and would love to go to the tavern tonight--just to rest. In fact, sometimes I used to take my computer and work while my husband did karaoke. On those nights I never got in too much trouble--work is about the only thing that keeps me honest. But I know I can't be there yet. Would love to, but I just can't.

So, get back on the horse and stay out of the bar. Best wishes.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:09 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
dude in recovery

I didn't even go to restaurants (w\ separate bar) until 3+ months and I did not sit in the bar area. Now at 5 months I still would not go into a bar or even a place like Hooters on the weekend\nights. Although, I never was a 'bar\club drinker', I probably would crack after hearing "would you like a beer" for the hundredth time . My biggest issue was with all the (grocery and corner) stores that throw it right in yer face... I'd even park somewhere and just drink it in the car, if I had to.
Get sober again and retrain that brain to turn it down:
tender: What'll you have?
you: I'll have an Iced Tea... (Sprite, diet drink, water... hell, anything without alcohol.) Best wishes.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:18 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
SHARING THE LOAD

barber shop

If you go to the barbershop you are bound to get a haircut!!

start over you can do it
Old 03-01-2012, 02:51 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

For me it took these moments to realize how hard it is and how hard it was going to be! It also scared the **** out of me that I could order a drink, pay for it and drink it the whole time not wanting to. This **** was controlling me! I got an addiction counsellor, trying AA (not hooked yet), found SR and got serious!

All the best Kallum.
Old 03-01-2012, 02:52 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Oops.... U can't say the 'S' word! Lol