Notices

I'm feeling better but not the mind

Old 02-28-2012, 08:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm feeling better but not the mind

My body feel good but my mind is just in the air. I'm not high or on any drugs. Just got off an alcohol binge almost 4 days ago. I just have a lot of my mind and don't know what to do with it all. I know we say take it one day at the time but truly, I'm nervous I'm going to jump back into the alcohol. I want to stop but truly I don't see myself will stop because I will feel all good in a month and then I will say, what the hell to it lets have fun. Any suggestion beside rehab (I'm in debit and no money) and AA hardcore atheist.

Just upset and and needed to say something!!!
Old 02-28-2012, 08:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad you're feeling better

The Salvation Arny runs free rehab programmes - check in your local city.
It's not a holiday camp but if you think you need rehab maybe that's an option.

There's other groups besides AA too - SMART, Rational Recovery and LifeRing come to mind.

I'm not sure if any of that can help you with the 'I will feel all good in a month and then I will say, what the hell to it lets have fun' feeling tho...

As long as you still think it's fun, you're really making it hard for yourself to quit act10N.

D
Old 02-28-2012, 08:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by ACT10Npack View Post
Any suggestion beside rehab (I'm in debit and no money) and AA hardcore atheist.
So... No rehab, no AA, and the secular recovery group you attended apparently didn't take. That doesn't leave much, now does it?

There's always Rational Recovery. No meetings, no support, no sharing.

Just quitting. For good.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

If you think you're going to go back to drinking again, you're probably right. Most of the people I know who have quit drinking absolutely do not think they will drink again, and they work very hard to make that a reality.

I know Atheists who have had great success in the AA program. One certainly needn't believe in an all-powerful God in order to experience the benefits of AA.

Although in my personal experience, a belief and trust in my Creator has certainly been the key to my (as of this time) nearly 2 years without alcohol. I give all thanks to God for the changes in my life these past 2 years.

Of course, millions of people have been able to stop drinking with no reliance on or belief in the existence of God. You can be the next.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Don't worry or even wonder if you'll go back to drinking in a month. Just stay 'in the day' and go with that.

As an atheist I choose addiction treatments that honor my worldview vs conflicting with my worldview. That way my choice in a recover practice goes smooth and is highly effective. I know other atheist that do much the same as I, they do what works for them.

Take a look at the links below and see if any of them may be of some help. Nothing like a little direction to kick start a good life free from the influences of alcohol.

SMART Tools and SMART Articles
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy Recovery Tools from cbtrecovery.com
DBT Life Skills For Emotional Health Great tools for maintaining sobriety. (from dbtselfhelp.com/index.html)
Rational Recovery: The New Cure for Substance Addiction. By Jack Trimpey. (Google book preview including the Addiction Voice Recognition Technique or the AVRT)
Agnostic AA 12 Steps

Why not make a treatment plan that fits you and follow it.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
recovering using AVRT

Originally Posted by Terminally Unique View Post
So... No rehab, no AA, and the secular recovery group you attended apparently didn't take. That doesn't leave much, now does it?

There's always Rational Recovery. No meetings, no support, no sharing.

Just quitting. For good.

I will never drink again. I will never change my mind.