Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

I did it, i actually followed threw with my first AA experience.

Notices

I did it, i actually followed threw with my first AA experience.

Old 02-22-2012, 03:15 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FLA
And the older ppl in there all seemed depressed and pissed especially after hearing their how their days been going.
I'm 50, and I'd run away from that group like it was a fireworks factory the just caught on fire.

I like AA groups that are grounded in the solution - the 12 steps. If I am at a group where a lot of people share about their day, how miserable they are/their day was, and no connecting this monologue back to the Steps or the Big Book, then I am in the wrong place to protect my own sobriety.

Like someone else said, go hit a few groups, you'll find one that you like.
Old 02-22-2012, 03:28 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Congrats on the meeting, its a big first step! Keep up the good work and remember why you are at those meetings, while there may be some hot girls at these meetings, I don't know if thats the "best" place to meet someone.

I am still working on that first meeting. Like you I kinda feel out of place, being a young adult in my early twenties, I just feel like I'd be terribly out of place. They have some groups up here in the LBK at the college that are more oriented to young college kids like me.

Those parties might be a toughie for sure. I'd maybe suggest steering clear of those parties until you are at a point where you can successfully not have a drink or the temptation to drink. Find some new hobbies to get into, possibly go work out in the gym instead of hanging around the house at a party.

Best of luck with the meetings and sobriety.
Old 02-22-2012, 03:31 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
FLA

Ya when i left the meeting I actually wanted to go drink rather than feeling good about staying sober. Another things I noticed was they talked about other drugs too. I thought AA was strictly for alcohol??
Old 02-22-2012, 06:07 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

Originally Posted by FLA View Post
Ya when i left the meeting I actually wanted to go drink rather than feeling good about staying sober. Another things I noticed was they talked about other drugs too. I thought AA was strictly for alcohol??
Theres no rule that says it, i thought this too but at many of my meetings people talk about drugs as well because often the two go hand in hand, which i totally understand. Addiction is addiction whether its booze or coke or whatever.