Notices

Recovering Opiate Addict

Old 02-22-2012, 09:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Recovering Opiate Addict

Hey y'all, I'm Joe, and I'm an addict.

I am new to this group and have high expectations of remaining on this forum and getting the support I need to stay clean and drug free. So far I am only 8 days clean but these have been some of the hardest and most trying times of my life.

I checked into detox on Valentines day and was there for 5 days. I left and went out to the "Ranch" a local rehab center here in town. I didn't really think I would be going to the Ranch so when I got there, I had my mind made up already that I wanted to leave. I didn't give it more than a day before I decided to leave and do the Intensive Outpatient Program. Part of the reason I didn't want to stay is because of all the clowns out there who were not serious about getting clean and just kept talking about drugs 24/7. I didn't feel comfortable there and just wasn't ready for residential rehab.

I find that it is still really difficult being back at home, I have the cravings for using but I am hoping as long as I stay in recovery and IOP, that things will get better. I am currently working the 12 steps to recovery, I've finished 1 and 2 but really am still working hard on number 3. Any suggestions on this step from some recovering addicts?

Today is Ash Wednesday and I am going to church at 12:15, I will be praying that god helps me through this process and gives me the strength to stay sober.

That's all I have for now, but I'd appreciate any type of feedback, tips, or suggestions that anyone may have. It has only been 8 days but man I haven't felt this good in a long time.

Take it easy!
Red Raider
Old 02-22-2012, 10:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well Red, you may not realize it, but you are working your third step right now.

You are "praying to God"

Step three.......WAAAAA LA!!!

Now don't stay stuck there like my lazy rear end would always do.

You are on your way!

Rex
Old 02-22-2012, 12:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I went to mass today at 12 and really did a lot of praying. I humbly asked god to remove my shortcomings and turned it all over to him. I'll be meeting with my counselor today and see what he says and what the next step is.

I can officially say I feel 100x better after going to church today. Something really happened there today and I just feel so much better. It was a little rough of a day today but I got this! One day at a time.
Old 02-22-2012, 01:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Get you a sponser Red. He/she will help you with the steps. Get a Big Book if you don't already have one and start reading it. Also, a book called the Twelve and Twelve will really help you out also.

I've been addicted to opiates too. Good job on 8 days. It will get better from here. Don't pick up again, or you will have to start all over.

God bless.
Old 02-22-2012, 01:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR red

You'll find a lot of support and encouragement here

You may also like to check out our substance abuse forum too:
Substance Abuse - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

D
Old 02-22-2012, 03:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Just got back from my meeting with my counselor, the plan was to bring the rest of my Ativan and Alprazolam up to group tonight and flush it, but I went home and took the bottle and flushed it right down the potty without hesitation.

I'll be checking out a group on Friday night and start looking for a sponsor. As far as the books go, I have the NA book, the Twelve and Twelve book, and the AA book. I'll start reading a bit of each everyday.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RedRaider View Post
Just got back from my meeting with my counselor, the plan was to bring the rest of my Ativan and Alprazolam up to group tonight and flush it, but I went home and took the bottle and flushed it right down the potty without hesitation.

I'll be checking out a group on Friday night and start looking for a sponsor. As far as the books go, I have the NA book, the Twelve and Twelve book, and the AA book. I'll start reading a bit of each everyday.

Great to hear!

Rex
Old 02-22-2012, 06:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Good job Joe. Your on your way.

God bless.