Notices

Thought I could have just one (that was the problem)

Old 02-20-2012, 08:13 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

one is too many and a thousand never enough...

I'm pretty sure I could drink tonight and only have a couple or three. one is doubtful. but a few, absolutely. I wouldn't drive. I would do anything stupid or dangerous. there wouldn't be any external consequences.

BUT

then I would have to deal with the craving and obsession, and if I give in again all bets are off. I don't want to ever crave and obsess over drugs and alcohol again. it sucks, and its dangerous.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:24 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

(((Dan))) - been there, done that only with crack instead of alcohol. It took a HUGE amount of consequences (some of which I'm still dealing with almost 5 years later) to realize that after that first hit? I was done. I was going to crave it, go crazy, whatever.

I did the white-knuckling. Didn't work for me..ended up in a relapse. I've been to AA, even though my DOC was opiates, there were more meetings available and people I could relate to.

Today? I have my own program..a little bit of AA, a whole lot of what I've learned here, and a lot of prayer.

My way doesn't work for everyone. I just know that when I got sick and tired of all the consequences, the constant cravings? I was ready to do whatever worked.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 02-20-2012, 08:37 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Impurrfect View Post
Today? I have my own program..a little bit of AA, a whole lot of what I've learned here, and a lot of prayer.
SR...AA and a heavy dose of step eleven....Sounds like my plan.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:56 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I seriously love that there is ALWAYS someone online here at any given time, because you all give such support and good insight!

Since I had (one of a 1000) embarrassing ultimate slip-ups this past weekend, I said I was going to AA. Yet, only 2 days into non-drinking, I find myself acting whiny like 2 days has been 2 months and making excuses throughout the day. But getting on here, I read how committed you all are and it revs me up again. So cool.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:13 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Thanks again everyone,

I woke up today w/o a hangover thanks to you guys.. ok, so being able to stop at one drink still doesn't mean I won't pay later, now i understand that. So my temporary plan is to check out some of the options for a "plan", with all this freetime it should be no problem, on top of that, everytime I get a craving, I'll figure that's my cue to do extra work on my plan. we'll see how this works..

That is weird about the re-newed cravings experience or re-awakend disease theory, guess i never stayed sober long enough after relapsing to notice that before(progress?).That really was a close call last night, thank you for being around for me, I surely would of had at least one otherwise..
Old 02-21-2012, 04:21 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by OCDDan View Post
That really was a close call last night, thank you for being around for me, I surely would of had at least one otherwise..
I try to look at it like this Dan....

You know what my first drink cost me??.....Everything.....You know what my second drink cost me?....Three dollars and fifty cents.

Get a plan...And get to work...I used AA...And I stopped...But I had to work for it. Then I realised it works...Go figure.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:04 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

'ok, so being able to stop at one drink...'

Probably not your reality if you've been unable to solve your problem for 40 years. It sounds good in the saying and may make you feel you've got a handle on this, but were it true we'd not be talking now.

If you were to instead say 'no matter what I decide or what I try I always drink again and that's been true now not just for a little while, but incredibly for a couple of generations', then I'd agree with your assessment.

You're anything but a guy who is able to stop at just one and that you even now picture yourself as that is a self-defeating illusion. It blocks you from realizing you need to do any more than that type of guy would need to do to solve the most minor of alcohol problem. A guy that can stop at one just needs to decide to do that or not drink at all and his problem is solved.

You're problem is not the minor one you still believe it to be. Your false perception of it allows it to continue it's course and worsen with each passing decade. It's major and obviously beyond your ability to resolve.

This isn't a headache. Now or later make the effort to get some effective help.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:47 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by scrambled2012 View Post
Compaired to a cold pepsi, beer taist like sh*t. I do not now and never will understand people who drink alcohol for any reason other then the high.

And for me, I greatly enjoy being high. I enjoy it so much I want to stay high constantly when I figure out a way to get there.

Just one? Not even close to my minimum requirements. And of course, with every one after the second, my minimum requirements to get where I want to be go up up up, until my brain shuts down and I end up talking to officer Smith or officer Jones, wondering what the hell just happened.

I think folks who drink alcohol for "the taste" are weird. I'm not ashamed in the least of admitting I drank for the high...and I know that to keep my life from being destoryed and to prevent myself from harming others, I need to say no, especially to "just one."
I'll be damn! I must have a twin somewhere! I never understood the point of moderation either.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:36 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by langkah View Post
You're anything but a guy who is able to stop at just one and that you even now picture yourself as that is a self-defeating illusion. It blocks you from realizing you need to do any more than that type of guy would need to do to solve the most minor of alcohol problem. A guy that can stop at one just needs to decide to do that or not drink at all and his problem is solved.
Wow Langkah, I was just saying I had a problem with this, I wasn't saying that it was a good idea to try or anything. I feel like i got sober-bullied, ha!
Old 02-21-2012, 07:41 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by OCDDan View Post
you know what? you are right, I spend an incredible amout of time studying technology, i bet i could put a few hours into recovery, hmm..
Yay That's the attitude that will get you there, Dan :ghug3 How goes it tonight?
Old 02-21-2012, 07:56 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GirlFromCO View Post
Yay That's the attitude that will get you there, Dan :ghug3 How goes it tonight?
Doin good thanks! had a brief thought about the booze, but back studyin technology at the moment, maybe it's a safer thing to get absorbed in. thanks for askin.. and you?
Old 02-21-2012, 08:25 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I'm well, thanks. Staying busy reading and studying is a great idea. It will keep your mind on other things and you're bettering yourself in the process. That's what I try to do when I'm thinking it would be nice to get drunk. A lot of times it isn't even that productive... I remember watching a bunch of tv series on netflix from beginning to end just to get absorbed in something other than my own head. I highly recommend sons of anarchy, btw