Notices

Not sure about AA

Old 02-19-2012, 12:37 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Threshold View Post
I responded to a thread of yours a little while ago, I didn't know all the ins and outs of your story.

I had a sponsor tell me she wouldn't work with me after a relapse as well, her sponsor told her to drop me. Some people feel they must do that for their own recovery/sobriety. What I am saying is try not to take it personally. I know how hard that is but she did it for her own reasons.

Work on your own recovery and find a sponsor who you feel you can work with, even through the tough stuff.
In my opinion if you can't be there to help your sponsee after a relapse, you're not ready to be a sponsor.
Old 02-19-2012, 12:49 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dano1975 View Post
In my opinion if you can't be there to help your sponsee after a relapse, you're not ready to be a sponsor.
You don't know all the facts here....Neither do I. But I will say I have a guy in my homegroup that has been through 8 to 10 sponsors in that group alone.He's just not willing to do the work....And he's running out of options. He's more interested in bumming rides and dollars off people than putting any effort into it. My first meeting there...He came up to me and asked me for both. You get all kinds in this program. Maybe the sponsor sucks...Or maybe the sponsor has a completely different story.
Old 02-19-2012, 06:37 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

DOn't let one person ruin your entire experience, there are some people in AA who have big Egos and like to think they're helping but they aren't really. I reccomend you talk to other people instead of him, and try out other meetings as well. Groups are different in different places.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:41 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Originally Posted by TheTinMan View Post
The attendees at an AA meeting were the former attendees at a bar. You should have the same feeling for the range of characters you will encounter in an AA meeting.

If you have been to a number of bars through the years then you know these people already. They should be familiar to you.
Absolutely. And that knowing helps alot. My first AA meeting was in a small town and of course i knew half the guys there no surprise in that. We just kinda stared at each other. It was my first meeting. Last time i had seen those guys was at the bar, and some of them just the other day at the bar. I was still under the influence at my first meeting. It was a pivotal moment in my recovery and it helped me feel at ease.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:34 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

it is certainly possible to recover outside AA, but your post reads that you had a negative encounter with one person. surely you understand that one individual isn't indicitive of an entire group, particularly one as diverse and comprised of flawed people as AA.

I would also add that the AA program isn't the people or even the meetings. the program is the 12 steps. I had all kinds of issues, mainly with the people when I first came along. and I struggled staying sober. once I actually did the steps I experienced the personality change and spiritual awakening I heard about. I also learned that my prior attitudes toward the program were what we call contempt prior to investigation.

whatever you do I wish you a healthy and peaceful journey into recovery.