Notices

Ashamed

Old 02-16-2012, 02:46 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
~sb

Seriously, it's none of their business what is going on. "I'm busy" also works a little better than "nonya" if you have to answer them! Just keep moving forward with your sobriety. Soon, you'll just hear things like "you look awesome!"

Keep staying stopped. Focus on getting a sponsor and starting those steps!
Old 02-16-2012, 07:29 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thx for all the replies. As of now, I have only included my Doctor and the relative that I currently live with. Gonna keep it need-to-know until I get much-much farther down the road.

I went through horrible insomnia during the first 2 weeks sober, that I included 2 other family members in on because I was a zombie when around them. I didnt include them on the drinking, just the insomnia/anxiety.

On another note, I know we cant really talk meds here, but Doc wrote me a Rx for Zoloft. Im gonna wait a week or 2 before I maybe start taking it (as I told my Doc), I feel like Im still evening out after the insomnia/withdrawal etc. Depression runs in the family, some self-medicate (like I did), some have treated it successfully via a Doctor...
Old 02-16-2012, 08:00 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Oh wow...you sound exactly like me. Used to party in college and the Army, then went to solo drinking. Used to do the exact same thing: I wouldn't drink at social events, but would rush home to drink by myself afterwards...to sit on my computer and play video games drunk. Sad. I also totally packed on the lbs from drunk eating and 100 proof vodka. Blech.

Also, like you, I was very secretive about my drinking. No one knew, except a couple close friends who lived in other states. I think my family may have suspected, but it was never discussed.

So, after deciding enough was enough, I've turned my life around and am now back to getting healthy...eating right, working out every day, etc. At this point, I'm not trying to analyze WHY I drank or how I let myself get the way I did. I'm just trying to live in the moment and enjoy being sober. I did end up telling my brother about my drinking the other day and he was shocked...said he had no idea.

Your insomnia sounds just like me too! I went through several weeks of not being able to sleep at all. I would maybe get an hour or two here or there. Just stick it out and stay busy. Your body will eventually get used to the fact that alcohol isn't the King of the Castle anymore and your nerves will settle down. I'm happy to report that I'm getting a good solid eight hours a night now.

I wouldn't worry about telling anyone about it...unless you feel like you need to talk to someone. This website is a great source for that. Good luck to you!
Old 02-16-2012, 09:41 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 17 days, that is awesome! I agree with everyone, you don't need to tell anyone anything unless you feel it is necessary. This is YOUR recovery, you do what is right for you. Also, I hate to say it, but you may be discouraged by some of the responses you get from people in your life, especially if you are placing such weight on your disclosures. Some people will be great and supportive, but others may minimize your issue, tell you that you are overeacting, you aren't an alcoholic, etc. That was the biggest shock to my system when I told my friends I was an alcoholic and was engaging in recovery-people were trying to talk me out of it! It was crazy. Looking back, i wish i had been better prepared for the weird responses i received, i was rendered speechless by a few. I am not trying to freak you out, i am only emphasizing that this is YOUR journey, and in this early stage you don't need to focus on what others need to know, you need to focus on YOU-one day at a time. You deserve it! xo
Old 02-17-2012, 12:00 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lovelife27 View Post
Oh wow...you sound exactly like me. Used to party in college and the Army, then went to solo drinking. Used to do the exact same thing: I wouldn't drink at social events, but would rush home to drink by myself afterwards...to sit on my computer and play video games drunk. Sad. I also totally packed on the lbs from drunk eating and 100 proof vodka. Blech.

Also, like you, I was very secretive about my drinking. No one knew, except a couple close friends who lived in other states. I think my family may have suspected, but it was never discussed.

So, after deciding enough was enough, I've turned my life around and am now back to getting healthy...eating right, working out every day, etc. At this point, I'm not trying to analyze WHY I drank or how I let myself get the way I did. I'm just trying to live in the moment and enjoy being sober. I did end up telling my brother about my drinking the other day and he was shocked...said he had no idea.

Your insomnia sounds just like me too! I went through several weeks of not being able to sleep at all. I would maybe get an hour or two here or there. Just stick it out and stay busy. Your body will eventually get used to the fact that alcohol isn't the King of the Castle anymore and your nerves will settle down. I'm happy to report that I'm getting a good solid eight hours a night now.

I wouldn't worry about telling anyone about it...unless you feel like you need to talk to someone. This website is a great source for that. Good luck to you!

Thx for reply. I know everyones different, but how long was it for you before normal 8 hours sleep started? Just curious
Old 02-17-2012, 05:10 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

It took me about a month to return to a normal sleeping pattern. I even bought one of those fancy sleep number beds (that did help me tremendously, lol). But now all is well in the sleep department.