Notices

Meeting today??

Old 02-15-2012, 02:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Meeting today??

Does anyone know what happened to today's meeting? It should be occurring right now. No one in the chat room seems to know either.
Old 02-15-2012, 03:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

no idea Lost - if you see an Orange mod around, they're the ones to ask

D
Old 02-15-2012, 04:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Alright, thanks Dee.
Old 02-15-2012, 04:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

What kind of meeting is that?
Old 02-15-2012, 04:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

It's an online one for us alkies/addicts. Occurs every Wed and Fri. I only attend the Wed. one, but this week I really needed it.
Old 02-15-2012, 04:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

What's the format?....Somebody runs it?....Not AA?
Old 02-15-2012, 04:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's a meeting in our chat room here Sapling - as far as I know it's open to everyone - non denominational, if you like

D
Old 02-15-2012, 05:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
It's a meeting in our chat room here Sapling - as far as I know it's open to everyone - non denominational, if you like

D
Cool....Might have to check one out...Thanks Dee.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:00 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Hi Sapling, sorry I didn't respond yesterday.

It's not AA, although when you asked about format, it got me thinking to the AA "format". There doesn't really seem to be a set in stone "format" for AA. Have you tried any AA mtgs? Just curious if you've actually sat in one, or a few.

People told me they were all different but I didn't really get it until I tried a few. I've been to a closed, all women's mtg and the regular one I attend is an open, both men and women mtg. The only real format I see at these meetings is a prayer said at the end. I'm not a religious person, am almost anti, and so I respectfully let them say their prayer while keeping my head bowed. The rest of the mtg is so useful to me, I connect with someone almost every time. So I feel that even with the prayer, it's worth it.

So...the online mtg here doesn't say a prayer or anything like that. It's just regular folks talking about their problems. There's a topic every time, but it's open so you can talk about whatever.

I was really looking forward to the mtg as I was having a major problem with an upcoming event.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:07 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lost3000 View Post
Hi Sapling, sorry I didn't respond yesterday.

It's not AA, although when you asked about format, it got me thinking to the AA "format". There doesn't really seem to be a set in stone "format" for AA. Have you tried any AA mtgs? Just curious if you've actually sat in one, or a few.People told me they were all different but I didn't really get it until I tried a few. I've been to a closed, all women's mtg and the regular one I attend is an open, both men and women mtg. The only real format I see at these meetings is a prayer said at the end. I'm not a religious person, am almost anti, and so I respectfully let them say their prayer while keeping my head bowed. The rest of the mtg is so useful to me, I connect with someone almost every time. So I feel that even with the prayer, it's worth it.

So...the online mtg here doesn't say a prayer or anything like that. It's just regular folks talking about their problems. There's a topic every time, but it's open so you can talk about whatever.

I was really looking forward to the mtg as I was having a major problem with an upcoming event.
Yeah...A lot. You know when they say to do 90 meetings in 90 days...I did over 180.....Got 8 months next week and I still try and go every day to my HG morning meeting. It has to be something important to miss it. I love it. If it's just a group of people talking about recovery...I love to talk about that...I'll drop in on one. Thanks lost.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:11 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Wow, 180!!! I keep going to these AA mtgs and really like them. I've fought the steps and fought a sponsor, but after yesterday (see my outing thread) I think a sponsor would be nice to have. Someone who understands where I am and can be there when times get tough. So if I do that then the steps are in line. I dunno. I'm approaching 60 days and am thinking more and more about it. I think my hesitation is in finding someone who'll be a good fit. So I keep an eye out in my mtgs.

Anyway, the online mtg. is great. Hope to see you there. If you look on the main forum pg here, you'll see the mtg times. There is one on Wed. and Fri. I can never make the Fri. one which is why I was so bummed that the Wed. mtg didn't happen.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:17 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by Sapling View Post
What's the format?....Somebody runs it?....Not AA?
I 'sat in' on a couple, and while there is a meeting chair, it isn't strictly AA, certainly not like the BB/Step discussion meetings. It is, however, quite reminiscent of the general Open Discussion AA meeting format, usually with a main topic.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:22 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I think a sponsor would be nice to have. Someone who understands where I am and can be there when times get tough..
You have to have one...And that's what they are for. You'll know when you have the right one...Sometimes it happens like that. If it's not the right fit...You get another one. I had mine on my second day...And he took me through the steps in 90 days(my speed)....Changed my life. Best of luck to you. It's a jouney.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:25 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

You have to have one...And that's what they are for. You'll know when you have the right one...Sometimes it happens like that. If it's not the right fit...You get another one. I had mine on my second day...And he took me through the steps in 90 days(my speed)....Changed my life. Best of luck to you. It's a jouney.
Thanks. And I'm sure you are saying, you have to have one, as in, you gotta get one of those iPhones! and not, you have to have one (it's required). I'm still pondering it. Having one on the 2nd day? Wow! I was mostly sleeping on day 2. Literally. On my office floor with the door shut. LOL, no kidding!

I'm a slow learner. So likely 2 mos from now I'll be touting about my sponsor. LOL. Only took me 3 yrs to realize how great AA can be.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:32 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'm saying you can't work the program..The steps without one. They have done it....Why would you want to do them by yourself?...When you have an experienced guide....To guide you.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:35 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Terminally Unique View Post
I 'sat in' on a couple, and while there is a meeting chair, it isn't strictly AA, certainly not like the BB/Step discussion meetings. It is, however, quite reminiscent of the general Open Discussion AA meeting format, usually with a main topic.
Thanks TU....So no reason you can't discuss your program of recovery I guess....It should be open to anything?
Old 02-18-2012, 10:53 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

I'm saying you can't work the program..The steps without one. They have done it....Why would you want to do them by yourself?...When you have an experienced guide....To guide you.
The only requirement to join AA is to have a desire to quit drinking. Simply attending an AA group does not mean one must work the steps or the program. I think that the confusion here lies in the assumption that I want to work the steps.

I find the thought that the only way for all people to be sober and live a sober life is through AA quite silly. If it works for someone then great. But to say that all humans can only find sobriety via AA would mean that all humans are the same in that regard. I just find the notion a bit over the top.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:05 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

The only requirement to join AA is to have a desire to quit drinking. Simply attending an AA group does not mean one must work the steps or the program. I think that the confusion here lies in the assumption that I want to work the steps.

I find the thought that the only way for all people to be sober and live a sober life is through AA quite silly. If it works for someone then great. But to say that all humans can only find sobriety via AA would mean that all humans are the same in that regard. I just find the notion a bit over the top.
Lost...Don't do it...Find something else. I'm just saying going into AA with no intention of working the steps...The program of recovery...The solution...Is like joining a gym and going to watch everybody exercise...There are many programs and methods out there to get off alcohol...Find one you like.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:17 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Lost...Don't do it...Find something else. I'm just saying going into AA with no intention of working the steps...The program of recovery...The solution...Is like joining a gym and going to watch everybody exercise...There are many programs and methods out there to get off alcohol...Find one you like.
Sorry, we'll just have to agree to disagree. I enjoy my AA mtgs and will continue to go. Attending them has helped me immensely. I'm not sure how this thread turned into "...find one you like", when I have found one I like. I seriously doubt most people go into AA with full intention of working the steps and getting a sponsor. Heck, many are court ordered to attend AA, it's not like they chose to walk in the mtg in the first place.

Using your example, one who joins a gym and goes to a gym but initially watches everybody exercise, is better off than someone who doesn't go to the gym at all. At least they are making the first step of getting to the gym, getting familiar with it, etc.

I also disagree that AA can be described as a "solution" to a complex problem. I think it's pointless to argue about me doing the steps or not, attending AA or not, getting a sponsor or not. This thread was started by me to find out what happened to the usual Wed. meeting.

BTW, I don't intend on responding any longer in this thread, as I have become highly agitated. I'm not sure exactly why. My initial feeling is that I don't feel I need to argue about AA, sponsors, steps. Thanks.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:21 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

Did you ever find out?

D