Notices

First Outing - for real this time!

Old 03-10-2012, 10:48 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Hey everybody. I wanted to give an update to my outing situation. Last night we went to the celebration of my friend's life at a bar.

We met some other friends for dinner. I noticed one friend in particular was drinking coffee. I had tea. My husband had a coke. Two others had one glass of wine.

We went to the bar. Outside, I had a quick panic. OMG what was I thinking, going in this bar. I thought, can I handle this?

So I swallowed that down and went inside. All of my old friends were there. People I haven't seen in years. I tried to order a coffee and in this dive of course they had none. So I quickly ordered a soda water w/ a splash of cranberry juice. No one asked or seemed to notice I wasn't drinking. My non-drinking friend at dinner had water. I suspect he's in recovery too but I didn't want to broach the subject at this time.

I had a lot of fun, laughing and catching up on old times. I did feel weird though, a bit giddy. I saw some total drunks at the bar, and I didn't envy them at all. I didn't crave a drink at all, and was very comfortable there. But - it got boring after awhile. And I began to notice some acting annoying, goofy and unable to carry on a conversation. So me and my husband left, and had a nice sleep.

I'm glad I had this experience. I know I can handle myself in a bar. I also know that bars are quite boring to me now. It wasn't a white knuckle evening. But definitely not my first choice for an evening out. So onwards with my new sober life!
Old 03-10-2012, 11:18 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
~sb

Glad you made it through and you are still sober!

Yes, I meant I had enough alcohol.

and "Let it go today" means to try to distract yourself from thinking about future events and to focus on this particular moment in time. This takes practice. If you are like me, my mind (was) always racing ahead to tomorrow or back to yesterday, rarely in today, let alone being in this particular moment in time. Sometimes, I am still not here in this moment.

Sometimes, I'm still lost. LOL
Old 03-10-2012, 11:23 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
~sb

My phone says 2 am, my computer says 3 am and my last post says 4 am.
Old 03-11-2012, 09:47 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
Glad you made it through and you are still sober!

Yes, I meant I had enough alcohol.

and "Let it go today" means to try to distract yourself from thinking about future events and to focus on this particular moment in time. This takes practice. If you are like me, my mind (was) always racing ahead to tomorrow or back to yesterday, rarely in today, let alone being in this particular moment in time. Sometimes, I am still not here in this moment.

Sometimes, I'm still lost. LOL
Thanks. I know exactly what you are talking about. I often spend time thinking about future events or things that are yet to happen. I have to work hard at setting that thought aside and just letting it be. On the same token, I feel that I do need to spend time with things like my bar event, planning, so that I have a successful evening. But, I do beat it to death!

Being in the bar was good for me. Because I realized, I too, have had enough of alcohol.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:19 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

That's great that worked out like that lost...I agree...It does get kind of boring looking at people drink....Just makes me think of all the time I wasted...Good job on seeing what you're not missing...
Old 03-11-2012, 10:30 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Thanks Sapling. I also got to see old friends and that part was very fun. One of my old friends is either a non-drinker or recovering, regardless I don't care, I'm just glad to have another friend who I can do non-drinking things with. Game night is being planned!
Old 03-11-2012, 10:37 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Good for you!!