Notices

Emotions all over the place these last few days.

Old 01-27-2012, 12:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Emotions all over the place these last few days.

Where do I begin.. I know the start! hahaha (WARNING WARNING, LONG READ)

About 3 months I was searching for a friend of mine. A long lost love if you will. I did the normal searches on social media sites, but never found her. I did a Google search, and low and behold I found her.. But guess where? In jail! lol I hadn't spoke to her in like 5 years, but it was ironic to find her jail because that's how we kinda met. Well.. We didn't meet in jail per say, but in our younger years she had a real hard life, and her rebellious actions always ended her up in Juvenile hall at a young age, so we did a lot of writing back and forth as teens.

So anyways I quickly decide to write her a letter. I mailed it off, and about a week later I get a call from the jail. I couldn't answer it because I was on my cell. But this at least validated she got the letter. I also found out she was getting out in about 2 weeks by the jail. I figured she would contact me when she got out, and I could pick her brain to why she was in jail etc etc. Well she got out, and I never was contacted by her. Weeks go by, and nothing. I let it go, and figure I just wasn't that important to contact by her. No biggie, and I let it out of my mind.

Now.. This last Monday, I get a surprise visitor. Her! Out of the complete blue. Turns out they didn't give her the letter with my contact info on it when she was released. When she was released she went back to where she was living, and thats about 2.5 hours away from me. I asked her then what is she doing locally in town, and says shes up here visiting her kid. She had lost custody of him at some point I guess. Shes also staying with her xhusband (who has custody, and hes not even the biological father either) for a week, so she can visit her kid. Alright.. Well this is good to know. I was just happy she was in the area, and we got to play catch up. We do have a long and deep rooted history together. Sexual once, but more of always playing cat and mouse through the years. She went one direction, I went another, but always some how reconnecting at some point; even across state lines in my travels. Its mind boggling sometimes to me how we have kept in contact leading such different lives, and going in such different directions. Something higher up if you will.

So! like I said we play catch up that day. She leaves, and I send her a goodbye text even after she left. Expressing how it was great seeing her again. She then asks what my plans for the evening were. I said well come on back over if thats what your getting at. That id love to spend more time with her. She comes back, and it was a purely non sexual night, but had a great time talking with one another. I explained to her about my new found sobriety, and how much better I feel these days. She had no clue I was even an alcoholic hahaha. Like I said, through the years we have been in and out of each others lives. Spending from as little as a phone call together, or sometimes as long as a month in person. But always heading in different directions in life. She left about 1am, and that concluded the night.

Two days later, yesterday, I give her a text to see what shes up to. She wants to get together again for the afternoon. I say GREAT! Come on by! Now heres the kicker. Don't judge this to early. She asked me to buy her alcohol. But she asked me before she had found out I was celebrating my 9 month mark. Yes, yesterday I hit 9 months sober! Wohoo!! Anyways, we pretty much texted that to each other at the same time. I text "Im sober 9 months today!" she text "Get can you get me alcohol, because I dont have my ID." She then apologized for asking realizing that must have looked bad on her part. I said not to worry about it, and if you really want me to get you alcohol thats fine by me. **Something you need to understand about me. I believe my sober ways should never impact others drinking choices. I can honestly say at this point in my sobriety I am comfortable with people drinking around me. I don't want people to have to change around me because I don't drink.** So I walk to the store, and I get her what she wants, and then back to my place (also note it was her money, and not mine. I wouldnt spend my own money on that stuff for anyone). She makes some drinks back at my place, and again we just have a great time. Laugh, reminisce, and all that stuff. She ends up leaving around 7pm but says she will be back around 10pm -ish. I say great see you then!

10pm comes around and she shows back up. Mind you she had been drinking most of the day, and was pretty tipsy at this point. She says to me in about 15 mins she needs to head to the atm where she is going to meet her sister to pick up "weed" for her xhusband to give to him later, and get some money from her sister for some reason. All I can think in my mind is this is a bad idea for her to do, and I totally didnt like the idea. But by no means am I guardian, so I believe she can do as she wants. So she leaves, and says she will be right back. Well... she never came back. Freaked me out. I texted, called, and never got a response. I even went as far and walking to where she was going to meet her sister, but saw nothing but an empty parking lot. I texted and called through the night as if I was a stalker. I was just totally freaked out. I had no clue where she was, why she didnt come back, nor even if she was ok! I finally get to sleep around 4am this morning. Wake up around 11pm, and text her again. Nothing.. Call again... Nothing. Total darkness. I even went as far as checking to see all the new local arrest records. Nothing.

Now let me clear this up a little for you. She has always had run ins with the law through the years. Drugs, crimes, and they were always related influenced by meth. She has a history with that drug, but from whats shes been telling me she off the stuff. I've seen her on it, and I can honestly say she doesnt at all look like shes been using one bit. She says shes an alcoholic though. My sobriety held a lot of our conversations yesterday. She would explain how proud of me she is, and how inspiring I am to her.

I just dont understand what happened last night. Where did she go? I have not got a clue. I dont know how to contact her sister (her sister uses meth still, and thats been in the back of my head).

Did she go off on a drunk binge?
Is she off doing meth?
Did she get hurt??
Why would she leave, sound excited about watching movies with me that night, and just disappear? She left her alcohol here (btw its kinda weird having that around ill be real honest. It was one thing when she had control of it, and now that shes gone its still here is weird. Prolly gonna toss it. I really already should have. But was kinda hoping she would come back for it ).

I just don't know what to think. This girl has some issues I know that, and it sucks having these rooted feelings for her. But I think a lot of it has to do with me too. This is the first person to walk into my life in a very very very long time. When I was drinking, all I cared about is drinking. THAT'S IT! It also WREAKED my self confidence. So, getting a little taste of that companionship feeling has brought up something I haven't felt in a very very long time.

So anyways thanks for reading, and actually made it this far.

Thoughts? Ideas? Advice? I'm an open book.

Stay strong people!

-Ryan
Old 01-27-2012, 12:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

oh boy thats a long post.. lol

Slippery Slope? :P
Old 01-27-2012, 01:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

OK. Let's look through the facts. It's late at night. She's drunk because she's been drinking all day. She may have been banned from liquor stores because she's asking you to buy the booze. She comes over to your house to drink more. Then she wants to get high to she goes to get money and buy some drugs. You told her you don't want to drink. Fine. She decides to leave you and head off on her binge. You are disappointed about this for some reason. Sorry to lay it right on the line here but you were damn lucky she didn't come back to your place with more booze and drugs. She's known to the police, she's just out of jail and she's been running around town drunk trying to buy drugs. If you're found with her you could well be arrested.
Old 01-27-2012, 01:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by endlesspatience View Post
OK. Let's look through the facts. It's late at night. She's drunk because she's been drinking all day. She may have been banned from liquor stores because she's asking you to buy the booze. She comes over to your house to drink more. Then she wants to get high to she goes to get money and buy some drugs. You told her you don't want to drink. Fine. She decides to leave you and head off on her binge. You are disappointed about this for some reason. Sorry to lay it right on the line here but you were damn lucky she didn't come back to your place with more booze and drugs. She's known to the police, she's just out of jail and she's been running around town drunk trying to buy drugs. If you're found with her you could well be arrested.
She doesnt smoke, I know that for a fact. (her x shes staying with asked her to get it for him)

Shes not banned from the stores, shes doesnt even live in my area. just visiting

her sister is giving her money to live on im guessing while shes out here.

And shes been out of jail for 3 months with no record sense. Again, shes just in my area at the moment because of her kid.
Old 01-27-2012, 02:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Ryan,
You probably aren't going to know what happened to her unless you read about it in the paper (which you didn't say whether or not you checked) or discover she was arrested (which you say she wasn't) or you find her in a local hospital (again, don't know if you checked this out) or she resurfaces and provides an explanation for her behavior (which may or may not be true).

I realize you may have feelings for her, but it sure seems like a slippery slope to me. If she were asking for help (as in getting sober) that would be one thing if you were to take her to meetings and introduce her to some of the women. But buying alcohol for an active alcoholic (even with her own money) seems like enabling to me. If anything bad did happen to her (and you were the one who purchased it), how would you feel?

Do you really know what she is into apart from what she tells you (which again may or may not be true)? It seems to me that some relationships are best left in the past.
Susan
Old 01-27-2012, 02:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Ryan
I like my nice quiet life now. I'm guessing you do too?

Whatever her good qualities, I have to be honest and say your friend doesn't sound like she'd be real conducive to peace and quiet to me.

the chances are wherever she is she's fine - I hope it turns out that way anyway
D
Old 01-27-2012, 02:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Ryan,

You remarked about how when you used, it was the central thing in your life that replaced relationships.

Although men and women are different for sure, the role of drugs and alcohol in this regard can be very much the same. It is possiable that her capacity for caring and freindship is blunted by her substance driven priority list. This doesn't make her a bad person, it makes her human.

So long as this is the case, chances are attempts at a relationship with this person will likely frustrate and dissapoint; the interactions you have will always, by her, be filtered through the competing need or desire for outside chemical intoxication--while what you are seeking is the internal chemical intoxication of love and compainionship.

Beyond this likely point of frustration, and undeniable truth is that elements of chaos impact upon this women and the social systems she is a part of. Although out of jail for three months and denied custody of her child, note that she is continuing with behaviors that reinforce both of these consequences. Sadly, if you are in her company and *anything* happens that results in interaction with law enforcement, this chaos may engulf you as well.

Suggest you consider the importance of healthy boundries; it is OK to stay open to contact with her and to meet in public (safe) settings like a coffee shop etc., but put a timer on those meetings, use them to express your appreciation for her being, but recommend you don't allow yourself under any current circumstance to get drawn into any kind of deeper personal relationship (read: sex & dating) with her.

If you are unable to do this, it may be best to limit contact in your own best interest, even while you wish for her the very best. It is good that you are rediscovering the positive feelings that go with compainionship; that is important. You will be able to find another able to fill this need, with time. Just don't make your life any more chaotic right now then it needs to be.

My two cents. BTW, your six months is inspiring to me. Great Job.
Old 01-27-2012, 03:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Ryan,
I really thought scrambled gave very well rounded and humane advice.
on another thread someone talked about prudence, I had never considered that word until today.
Good on you for your 9 months.
CaiHong
Old 01-27-2012, 05:09 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yeah I think scrambled hit the nail on the head there. Great reply!

I know for the sake of my safety, sobriety, less stressed life that I shouldn't subject myself to this crap. I mean hell! I'm barley just restarting my life! But I'll tell ya, I was just so blindsided by her injection back into my life all of a sudden. It brought up a lot of old memories, and happy times. Sadly though, I have no idea what direction she is headed in life like I never do, and my path is clear as day to me. And as always, those 2 paths are completely different.

You know how I want to describe her and I as? Bust out the crackers because its cheese spreading time hahaa. But her and I remind of the movie Forest Gump lol. How Forest and Jenny were always headed down different roads, but somehow meeting unexpectedly. I know that sounds dumb, but thats the best way I can describe it.

eehhhhhhh whatya do.
Old 01-27-2012, 05:24 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

What susanlauren said is also very true. I have no idea if she is would even tell me the truth. Of course I would hope so, but being a recovering alcoholic myself I know how easy it was to lie. Sad really.
Old 01-27-2012, 05:51 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Ryan,
First of all again congratulations on the 9 months. In a previous post you mentioned you worked hard to stay away from temptations and places that you might drink. Has this changed with the arrival of your friend? I can certainly understand wanting to see and spend time with her, but you have to consider, is it at the risk of your sobriety? 9 months is a great start but still early in sobriety (at least for me), I'm not sure I could handle someone who pulls at my heart strings with one hand well she downs a pint with the other hand. You have to do whats best for you. Is it possible you can have a discussion with her and get her to respect your decision to quit and do her best not to put you in difficult situations? Good luck and stay strong!
Old 01-27-2012, 06:04 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

Team Scrambled.

It's probably good this all happened though. Highlighted a little of what is going on under the surface with you.

Feeling lonely is OK. Maybe it's time to see about dating? (no meth addicted ex-con alcoholics need apply).

j/k. Sounds like it'll be good to keep in touch with the right boundaries in place. Then find someone befitting of you!
Old 01-27-2012, 07:31 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I can feel the pull into the toxic vortex, from clear across the country, on the east coast!

Run Forest - RUN!
Old 01-27-2012, 08:05 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Ryan, while I was reading your original post, I thought of Forrest Gump too, in the way that the movie portrays their relationship and the one you just described.

So many red flags here. She's has a good heart i'm sure, but she's making bad decisions right now. That can drag you down before you even realize it's happening. Be there for her when she's ready to change her life, but in the meantime, man, be careful, stay away. I know it's gotta be hard, sounds like you really care for her. But you have worked hard for the 9 months you have. That could all go away in a heartbeat.

This disease will try to take us out any way it can, even pulling at our heartstrings. BE CAREFUL. Gotta stay strong.

God Bless.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:17 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I've had drug addict friends in the past (since cut them off to the odd FB message once every 3 months and zero interaction). The one thing they all have in common is they would use the word weed in substitute for the hard drugs they were really using. That said, and its just my experience but I bet she went to buy meth and went on a bender. A bender and then passing out for 10 or so hours would explain the un-replied text's.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:21 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Yip. Still no word. So who knows? Very odd indeed though. At this point I'm just more concerned for her well being than anything.

I mean who does that? Takes off, says they will be right back, and then nothing. Then nothing the next day, and the day after. As if she just vanished from earth. And its not like we left on bad terms. Quite the opposite. As she even left we were debating what we were going to watch that night, and was excited on what we decided. She's told me shes been off meth for awhile now as well and happy about it.

I donno. All if it doesnt make any sense to me. Grrrr!!
Old 01-27-2012, 09:14 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Sorry, Ryan. That must be really nerve wracking. I'm sure she will resurface when she's ready. It'll be a big relief to see her safe....and maybe also because you received this clear view of what a relationship with an active addict entails? Maybe you can take it as a healthy warning, and a reinforcement of how much better it is on this side of recovery. Hope you hear back soon.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:45 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
instant

Ryan
You are very caring but I can't help but thinking you dodged a bullet. She has a lot of social instability in her life and the way she is dealing with life seems to make it more complicated. I hope she is OK, but I worry about what life holds for her.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:04 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RyanRed View Post
Yip. Still no word. So who knows? Very odd indeed though. At this point I'm just more concerned for her well being than anything.

I mean who does that? Takes off, says they will be right back, and then nothing. Then nothing the next day, and the day after. As if she just vanished from earth. And its not like we left on bad terms. Quite the opposite. As she even left we were debating what we were going to watch that night, and was excited on what we decided. She's told me shes been off meth for awhile now as well and happy about it.

I donno. All if it doesnt make any sense to me. Grrrr!!
She likely knew exactly what she was doing and where she was going while debating movies with you, its what addicts do. She'll be in touch eventually with lengthy drama filled ( I am sure ) story that is likely all made up. Just steer clear man...
Old 01-27-2012, 10:37 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Too much funny business for my personal taste.