Notices

Seeking help

Old 01-25-2012, 08:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Seeking help

Hello everyone -

I am struggling with the idea (or realization) that I need to go to a psychiatrist to start to deal with my alcoholism. Due to my addiction I have become rather antisocial and this kind of scares me. Can someone share what that whole process is like? I feel that it might help me not to have to go into this not knowing anything about it. Thanks
Old 01-25-2012, 10:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Has anyone gone to a psychiatrist to start their path to sobriety?
Old 01-25-2012, 10:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I did......started w a few diff medications. Took being able to open up and be willing to change & grow.

Different docs have diff approaches....don't be afraid, be happy you want to take the first step!!!
Old 01-25-2012, 10:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
MINEr

Not me, I started mine with twelve days in the ICU on the brink of death. Then I went to AA and started the Kaiser chemical dependancy program. Any first step is a good one, make sure it is a shrink that specializes in CD issues. I hate to say this, but they will suggest AA or some other lifelong program too.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing guys. I made an appointment a few minutes ago with a Psych that specializes in chemical dependency. Strange thing is I have more anxiety about seeing a shrink than I do with the idea of quitting drinking. I really hate what alcohol has done to me physically and mentally and just want to be done with it.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey joshua, hang in there. Just be honest with them. There is a lot of different recovery programs out there.

You can do it.

God bless.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

stay out of fear, you are seeking answers!! great job!
Old 01-25-2012, 12:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I did - has been very good towards understanding the escapist tendencies that underlay my drinking. It's also a good way to sense-check myself week to week as I progress in recovery.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
SR Fan

I went to a psychiatrist, knowing that I would need help with some life-long issues (depression, OCD, insomnia). I wanted to give myself the best chance of staying sober.

I think the more resources we avail ourselves to, the better. You might want to call a treatment center in your area for recommendations on doctors/counselors who have experience in treating addiction. Just remember that most of our issues come from drinking so treating the side issues (like being antisocial) is pretty futile until we get sober.

Just take a step, make a phone call, get an appointment. Don't make it too complicated or talk yourself out of it. It's OK if you don't have all the answers ahead of time - We all start from square one!
Old 01-25-2012, 12:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
SR Fan

I just saw your last post - good for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-25-2012, 12:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

It is not the opinion of most, professional or not, that drinking causes the problem. We drink because of the underlying issues and lack of coping skills. Sure has been my experience.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:30 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
MINEr

As someone said above, honesty is key. If you hold back, you are only holding yourself back. Let it all go.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:30 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I know that the anti-social, anxiety, depression whatever the hell else I have is caused by alcohol. I can still remember the days prior to being a full blown drunk and none of these issues existed. The Dr that I made an appointment with specializes in chemical dependency so he's obviously seen plenty others come through the door in the same kind of shape as me.
Old 01-25-2012, 03:04 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think most people are scared when they take this step Joshua

I've never seen a Psychiatrist, just counsellors, but I'm sure they'll try and make you feel as comfortable as possible

D
Old 01-25-2012, 06:27 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Well like I said I took the first step so to speak in calling the shrink. The "scheduling service" advised me that they will contact me tomorrow and give a time and date for our first session. I will keep you guys posted on the outcome. Thanks for the responses.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:43 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I am curious......if you can step back for a moment and be as objective as possible.

Why did you first start drinking in the first place?