Notices

Sam-E Supplement

Old 01-09-2012, 05:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sam-E Supplement

Has anyone tried Sam-E or other similar over-the-counter supplements for their mood? I've found it helps my depression and anxiety. It puts me into a relaxed and happier mood. It seems to work so well that I have trouble believing it's natural and want to make sure I am substance-free. But it's been billed as a more natural alternative to anti-depressants... so, maybe it's just doing it's job??

I have heard it can have negative side effects depending on the dosage and one's body type... very occasionally, depending on how full my stomach is when I take it I guess, I get nausea or stomach pains, but nothing not worth taking it over. My main concern is that my boyfriend has had bad heart palpitations that he went to the doctor for and he is supposed to avoid it, and avoid caffeine, exercise and alcohol (I liked that last one, ha ha) for 7 - 10 days. The doctor hadn't heard of Sam-E so it's hard to say if it was caused by that, but we both started taking it at the same time and heart palpitations is a possible side effect, and he didn't have them before that, so, my guess would be yes.

My biggest concern is that one day I forgot to take it and later that night I was very depressed, like, more depressed than I'd been since I stopped drinking. It felt like I was having a depressed morning-after-drinking episode and I was so scared I was returning to that state of mind despite not drinking!!! It happened over the holidays and I was having a rather hard time with not drinking, so, perhaps it was influenced by life circumstances but I really think it had something to do with not taking the Sam-E.

Otherwise I'm convinced it has helped my mood and attitude stay regulated and up... unless that is just good old-fashioned sobriety at work. (I've been taking it for about a month, and have felt much better than I did during my first month of sobriety, as I've been sober for a bit over two months... I'm not sure if it's just sobriety, or Sam-E, but I think it's a bit of both).

Just wondering if anyone else has experience with this.
Old 01-09-2012, 05:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I've been using SAM-e for about 15 months (the double strength 400mg 2 in the AM). i can tell a difference when i run out. I use the doctors best brand order from drugstoredotcom, its much cheaper. i also use standardized St. Johns wort.
Old 01-09-2012, 05:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fandy View Post
I've been using SAM-e for about 15 months (the double strength 400mg 2 in the AM). i can tell a difference when i run out. I use the doctors best brand order from drugstoredotcom, its much cheaper. i also use standardized St. Johns wort.
Oh okay. I take one 400mg pill in the am. I started off taking 200mg, at least once a day, sometimes once in the morning once at night, but I didn't really notice anything. I really notice the 400mg. I read that even 400mg can be too much and that people should start off with 200mg or even 100mg per day. But I decided to stick with 400mg for now.

My boyfriend gets them at Costco where he says they're cheaper than elsewhere, but I will check out the drugstore place, thanks! I have also thought about taking St. John's wort. My therapist recommended 5-HTP, which I also usually take daily, and something called "Happy Camper," which I haven't found/taken. And I use melatonin to sleep, which works well. This is the first time I've taken any supplements and I'm pretty impressed, yet a bit incredulous. Thanks for the help.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've tried everything with the possible exception of Sam-E.

Vitamin D helps during the early winter.

I am currently taking propolis, royal jelly and bee pollen...I have more energy and think clearer than in a long time.