Notices

The AA Promises...

Old 01-06-2012, 04:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Striving to be a better Man!

The AA Promises...

I wanted to post something positive in the newcomers forum.
I have struggled with my drinking for years. I'm not a binge drinker or a few nights a week drinker, I am a 3 times a day drinker. I drink to escape and isolate. I couldn't even go to sleep unless I had a few beers to wake up too. I would drink, pass out for 4 or 5 hours and drink some more, like I said usually 3 mornings a day.
In 2010 I had some sober time and I met the most wonderful woman and we had an amazing relationship. Some of you knew her here on SR. I relapsed in July of 2010 and things got progressively worse, she had the patience of a saint and stayed with me until Aug of 2011. She finally had enough and moved out of town. At that point my family was afraid of me, my friends stayed away and the only place I went was to the store for beer.
I quit drinking again at the end of August 2011, got back into meetings, got another sponsor and started the tough road to recovery again. This time very alone since I had pushed everyone who cared about me away...
Since then with a lot of hard work on myself and my sobriety I have gotten the trust and love of my family back. I have been doing sound for a teen dance club since October, which makes me a role model and the kids love me. I have chaired a couple meetings at my homegroup, never would have thought I would do that! Was a very lonely holiday season without my girlfriend but I managed to struggle through. This week she showed interest in working things out!!
I just want to share because in early recovery things seem so hopeless and we deal with so much guilt for the things we have done while drinking/using but with a lot of work on ourselves things do get better than we ever could imagine. Do I want to drink sometimes? Yes! But as long as we stay strong things work out the way they are supposed too. Sometimes good, sometimes bad but always for a reason.
Thank you all my friends here on SR for being here for me more than once! Newcomers, stick with it! Things will get better!!
Old 01-06-2012, 04:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Blackstrat,

Thank you so much for that inspirational post. It really lifted me and reinforced that things will get better
Old 01-06-2012, 04:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
a southern belle

Love you sugar!!!...good to see you happy!....xoxoxo-mags
Old 01-06-2012, 05:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Thank you blackstrat - that was so appreciated. I'm sure many will feel encouraged when they read what you've been through & where you are today.

I was the same type of drinker - with a similar journey. You're so right about the guilt and hopelessness. Many times it led me back to drinking - but this last time I finally got it right. We can learn from the mess we made - but to dwell on it holds us down & keeps us from moving forward to the life we were meant to have. Congratulations on your months of sobriety - things will just keep getting better.
Old 01-06-2012, 05:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Awesome news Black!! Your an inspiration to many. Thanks for sharing with us.

Best Wishes To You!
Old 01-06-2012, 07:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
dude in recovery

Yes strat congrats on sobriety.
I would drink at any & all hours too, but generally one big binge per 24 hours. Same loss of friends and parents writing me off as a brain-dead drunk with no future, many of the old friends I don't feel any chance of reconciling with 'em, but they are more than likely still digging their next bottom.
I just have to stay sober and see what God has in store for me.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yea strat, I would drink, puke, pass out for awhile, then get back up and start the cycle over again. Sickening. So glad it doesn't have to be like that for us anymore! Thanks for your positive story.

God bless.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your progress. Stay sober and the promises will continue to occur.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks man.. I kind of needed that inspiration, because right now I have almost 100 days and I am not seeing any results, and the loneliness sucks...........
Old 01-06-2012, 10:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

100 days was a really tough spot for me this time too, but hang in there it will get better!
It really was darkest before the dawn last month. I have heard its tough for a lot of us at that point. Stay with it Pete!
Old 01-07-2012, 02:33 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Awesome post. I love your quote because it's true. That's exactly what I needed to "hear" at this very moment. The promises are working though you.
Old 01-10-2012, 03:42 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Well said. When it's different it feels different too.
Old 01-10-2012, 06:33 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

THE A.A. PROMISES
If we are painstaking about this phase of our development, we will be amazed before we are half way through. We are going to know a new freedom and a new happiness. We will not regret the past nor wish to shut the door on it. We will comprehend the word serenity and we will know peace. No matter how far down the scale we have gone, we will see how our experience can benefit others. That feeling of uselessness and selfpity will disappear. We will lose interest in selfish things and gain interest in our fellows. Self-seeking will slip away. Our whole attitude and outlook upon life will change. Fear of people and of economic insecurity will leave us. We will intuitively know how to handle situations which used to baffle us. We will suddenly realize that God is doing for us what we could not do for ourselves.

Are these extravagant promises? We think not. They are being fulfilled among us—sometimes quickly, sometimes slowly. They will always materialize if we work for them
Old 01-10-2012, 06:40 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Black,

Right on my brother we have grown so much since me meet.

Lets just keep on rockin, see you in chat.

Good love, Inda
Old 01-16-2012, 08:57 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Well my GF and I are back together and things are even better than ever! We will be moving soon and are busy planning our future together! Don't give up on sobriety guys!!!
Old 01-16-2012, 09:07 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Thanks Strat for a timely post for everybody in the post New Year let down. I always thought that the first two weeks of January were the worst of the year. No more holidays, and already some New Year resolutions are gone. But not so for most of us here. I have been here with you Strat in more than spirit. I am so happy for you.
Old 01-17-2012, 04:03 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Awesome brother

More to be revieled and couldnt be happier for you.

Good job on what you have accomplished and keep working hard for it .

Good love, Inda
Old 01-17-2012, 04:54 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Smile

Black I am so happy for you and Dez. Good luck with eveything!!! Your post was awesome-thank you.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:54 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I couldn't be happier for you Black! I believe everything in life happens for a reason, good and bad. We may never know the reasons, but if we're lucky enough, and stay in faith, sometimes the answers are revealed. What a blessing you received.

Best Wishes To You!