Notices

I was really hoping I wouldn't feel this way.

Old 12-31-2011, 08:35 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
SR Fan

I'm kind of low at the moment myself, which surprises me because I felt great all through the holidays this year. I definitely think it's because of NYE..... I'm alone most of the time and it doesn't bother me at all, but it always feels weird to be alone on a holiday.

Don't worry - it won't be too long before tomorrow's here and everyone's trying to get back to normal. Say a prayer for the alcohols who are drinking tonight..... they have a hard road ahead of them.

Thanks for the post!
Old 01-01-2012, 07:41 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the empathy and kind words. Feeling a bit better today but at midnight last night when I didn't dance with my husband the way he wanted me to the strain in my marriage slapped me in Face so to speak. Should be an interesting year.
Old 01-01-2012, 07:51 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yeah, well that's the interesting and sometimes scary part of recovery. We find out things that we've been running away from for a long time. I wasn't expecting that to happen and it took me by surprise. The thing is, you can and will get through this, no matter what happens.
Old 01-01-2012, 07:57 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 1undone View Post
BUT I am. I really wish I could be a part of some sort of festivities but then at the same time not. I just wish this evening didn't mean so much but here we are. All it meant to me in the past was another reason to get blasted drunk.

I feel a great sadness and loss. Does that make any sense?

I can tell my husband is happy to be home. Probably happy not to be out with me wondering what embarrassing amount of alcohol I would drink or what I would do. Can't blame the poor guy.

So now what? In the future what do we do on NYE? I don't want to be depressed. I know I am, all the signs are here. Didn't shower, sitting in my room, general sadness, hearing all the fireworks is killing me. I just want this night to be over.

A few tears and some food for me tonight. Yes I'm not having a NYE Party I'm having a NYE Pitty Party.

I do sincerely hope everyone has a great 2012 though. Just want this night to be over.
I dont know how often you drank, but if you think about it, to most of us NYE,was taking place every evening.. it was to me, it is normal to feel like this, you are mourning the loss of a poison. Weird to say, but true, i am new to sobriety too, and i felt angry last night, but if you keep telling yourself you are going to feel better with each day, you are fragile, and need to take care, but stay strong, hugs to you, i bet you feel better this morning though?:
Old 01-01-2012, 04:27 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

you will never find true peace and happiness in the external world..
it comes from within hence the expression ...fathom yourself
Old 01-01-2012, 05:04 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

You know, I think that society has made Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years into a big lie for a lot of us. For instance, in commercials they always have big families and friends drinking, eating, and having a great time - with lots of present, ofcourse. Real life for a lot of us is not that reality. I was not lonely or sad (I kept waiting to feel that way) but I am so glad that I don't have to go through all that with a plastic smile on my face, with a drink in my hand.
Don't get me wrong, I spent Thanksgiving with good friends out on a ranch, and Christmas was spent at my adult daughter's home. New Years? That evening never meant much to me (although I never had a worse hangover in my life one of them - Harvey Wallbangers - I was 21 and thought I had found heaven's answer to happiness and fun - still can't drink orange juice.)

Anyway, realistically there are families homeless, starving, cold and scared. I am no saint, and I have to remember this constantly, but we are so lucky to have what we have. For me, the biggest gift is sobriety....and a sober New Years Day (although I was a little bit of a slacker). I am not in jail for a dui, I have no fences to mend, and I know just what I did over the holidays. Not a bad way to start the New Year, you know? (P.S. Yeah, I still feel sorry for myself some times, but gratitude is beginning to take over, once I realized how sick and twisted alcohol whacked out my perception of reality.) Best wishes to everyone for a new and sober 2012. Much love.