Notices

Another Newcomer

Old 12-11-2011, 07:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Another Newcomer

Good Evening All
I've been roaming around the forums here and other sites for several months now and figured I'd jump in. I finally stopped drinking on August 6th.
I don't know how often my situation happens but it's probably more common than I think. I actually figured out I had a problem by accident. The symptoms have been hitting me for years but I never put 2 and 2 together.

I've been a beer drinker since the mid 80's and over the years slowly increased the daily amount. The average consumption was about 15 a day. On weekends it would be 20 to 25. Over the years I picked up a nice beer gut and found myself slowly become more an indoor person with less of a sense of humor.

In the last 10 years or so I occasionally would have mild anxitey attacks at work and a light headed feeling. My public speaking abilities also took a dive over time. I had no idea that the drinking was the issue since I never felt drunk at night when I consumed. More symptoms added on since like heartburn, occasional night sweats, and out of the blue bouts of waking up with a racing heart. Something was going on but had no Idea why.

A year and a half ago the beer belly had gotten too big for me and ran out of belt space. I decided my feeling bad was because of the extra weight (220 pounds) and decided that I would go on a diet to lose 20 pounds. I figured if I didn't drink during the week it would do the trick. I had minor withdrawl which were more like cravings. After a few days I actually felt pretty good. Things were great and my energy level increased. On the 21st day it hit me. I had a bad panic attack during the day and drove myself to the hospital. I thought I was going to die. They put me on an IV, did an EKG, Chest Xrays, and Blood work. They found nothing wrong except for a few electrolite levels and sent me home.

After going home I felt a constant vertigo in my head and was uneasy when walking. I visited the doctor a couple of times who did more blood work that came back normal. I had an attack right in front of her and the conclusion was that the symptoms were low blood sugar even though the levels were normal. I changed my diet as recommended but in hindsight I also added beer during the week (about 3 or 4 a day at first and heavy weekends) A bunch of more testing and scans etc resulted in a diagnosis of sinusitis and started anti-histimines and decongestants which really cut back the symptoms.

Over the next year I slid back to the pre incident beer drinking levels. In July I found myself feeling the same as before and decided on another diet. 2 days later It hit again and this time the hospital kept me for observation. An echo stress test showed my heart was fine but I did experience an incident right before starting that showed a flutter. The doc said Your Heart is Fine with a tone of voice. No more expaination. My sister visited while I was in and noted that years ago my Father had a similar experience and was told it was withdrawal. After going home I started reading here and other sites and felt sooo stupid. I had been experiencing withdrawal during the day all of those years and when I stopped for the diet had a larger withdrawal. I started tapering down.

At my first cardiologist visit 2 weeks later I asked if the scenario could have caused the flutter and symptoms. He said "It's probably not a coincidence"
He said their term is Holiday Heart. He also suggested I cut back to 2 or 3 drinks a day. I picked August 6th to Stop. It was the day after the Suprise 50th birthday party I knew about. I continued to taper, had my last fling on the 5th of August and stopped.

Since then I've found out the hard way what PAWS is. I think I peaked in the last few weeks. but more on that another time. This is too long already

It's sites like this that woke me up and in the long run probably saved my life. The medical community is totally clueless or afraid to say anything.

Thanks.
Jim
Old 12-11-2011, 07:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Jim
I'm really glad you've quit, and glad you've joined us

D
Old 12-11-2011, 07:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi, Jim, welcome to SR.

Thanks for sharing that—really glad you quit before you caused yourself even greater harm. It is sad that some doctors still aren't better informed.

Glad you found us. You'll definitely find a lot of support here.
Old 12-11-2011, 07:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

(((Jim))) - Welcome to SR!!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 12-11-2011, 07:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Jim and welcome!!! Interesting path you have been on and interesting observations on the medical field...thanks for sharing
Old 12-12-2011, 12:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. You'll find this is a very supportive community.
Old 12-12-2011, 02:07 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
MIND OF DESTRUCTIVE TASTE

Hi Jim, welcome to SR This is a wonderful community full of support, thanks for sharing your story.

-Jess
Old 12-12-2011, 02:50 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome Jim. Glad you are here.
Old 12-12-2011, 03:07 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
instant

Hi Jim Things were up and down for me for a good few months. My emotions are only just settling down now.

Drinking is not a healthy option.
Old 12-12-2011, 05:46 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Jim,

Thanks for sharing. Many others in here can relate. One day at a time!
Old 12-12-2011, 09:56 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

WELCOME!

My panic and anxiety were a direct result of my drinking. I didn't know that the depressant effects of alcohol would rebound and create this in my body and mind. Even when I did realize what was going on I stopped for about 9 months in fear of having more anxiety. Once I felt better I drank a little bit (this is years back) and found it to be a non issue for a while. But as usual as I started to drink too much and withdrawl during the day I started to have the anxiety and panic again. I still didn't stop drinking for a while though, even knowing this. I'm a true blue alcoholic.

The calm I feel now from not drinking is something I have to keep in mind all the time. I heve to try to remember on a daily basis the fear I felt during panic to keep myself from picking up. Of course there are an other whole host of feelings and problems that I remember as well.

Glad you found us and you figured out what was going on.
Old 12-12-2011, 11:05 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Jim, congrats on your sobriety. Looking forward to hearing from you again with regard to PAWS.
Old 12-12-2011, 01:55 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks All.
I'll take my time when writing about the PAWS. Looks like too many I's in the original post LOL.
PAWS is the most unexpected part to me and even though I've read till my eyes hurt, living it is a challenge.
Old 12-12-2011, 02:05 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Hey Jim. Welcome. You have one day on me. I'm 8/7/11 sober. I'm a couple years behind you in age (48) and drank similar amounts for a similar period. I'm also experiencing PAWS, and also have SAD and ADD. I went on antidepressants for the winter months, and will get off of them around May or so. It's helping with the PAWS, but I still feel like I'm masking stuff with the drugs.

Anyway, glad you are here. It's an awesome site, and you continue to get the support you need here.
Old 12-12-2011, 02:38 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Oh do I hate PAWS.

almost 8 months sober here.

PAWS hit me like a ton of bricks around 2nd-3rd month. It was hell on wheels.

I had anixety out the wazoo from no where. I had twisted anxiety thinking at random times. It also escalated into social anxiety, and then the anxiety that made me fear leaving home. I have NO CLUE where any of it came from at first. I had no idea why I was feeling that way at all! I mean I was sober what the heck!?! Then I read about PAWS, and it hit the nail on the head. I really thought I was going nuts there for awhile. I thought I would never feel normal again

BUT! Im pleased to report that it does go away. It takes time, but it really does go away even though you think it might now.

I'm still not fully over it, but its a LOT better than it was 4 months ago. What do expect though? We covered our mind with alcohol for so many years, and its going to take time for it to head. The mind doesnt heal over night. But it does heal

Stay strong my friend!

-Ryan
Old 12-12-2011, 10:05 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome Jim. Its surprising how many medical issues occur from drinking. I, too, experienced anxiety and panics, heart fluttering. Not a nice feeling and so glad to be far away from those feelings now. It all miraculously stopped when I stopped!