Notices

First Saturday Sober

Old 12-10-2011, 08:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First Saturday Sober

Day 8 and going strong. Tonight is the first night since quitting that I've been having very strong urges to go out and drink. This time however, I am prepared because I knew this feeling would arrive. Last time I caved it was on Day 8. I don't know what it is about this length of time and why I feel a strong urge to drink about a week after getting sober, but it's here. I have started a journal and feel like I am more prepared to take this on now.

I'm back in my home town visiting family, and while that seems like it would make things easier, just being back in this city is hard because all of my old drinking buddies live here. In fact, ALL of my old buddies live here, all of whom I used to drink with. I feel rather lonely and as though I don't have any real friends. I've made the conscious decision to avoid them and none of them even know I am here. Even though I had created these false, alcohol-focused friendships in the past, I still feel like a loser. I've been hanging out with my parents who do not drink, and they are great and everything, but it brings about the "loser" feeling even more. Plus, their friendship can only go so far...

Just about the only thing I like about the situation is, it's empowering not to give into the urge to go out and drink. It's a strange kind of loneliness, because I've chosen it for myself. I'd rather be alone and sober... but it isn't completely pleasant feeling this way. Lonesome by choice and as a result this will be a strong Saturday for me. Can't wait to enjoy my morning tomorrow, not hung over.

Thanks for reading.
Old 12-10-2011, 09:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Way to go on your 8 days! Your feelings sound totally normal to me for a week sober (and a Saturday night!). I had a hundred feelings a day at first..... the evenings were always the worse. I just kept reminding myself that feelings come and go and I wouldn't feel that way forever. Reading here helped a lot.

Hang in there and enjoy your hangover-free Sunday morning! Things really do get better over time.
Old 12-10-2011, 09:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your sober time!

You are hanging out with your parents tonight and avoiding some old drinking buddies because you are in early sobriety. That's a great plan.

I think it's normal once we sober up to do a lot of thinking about our drinking. Try not to over analyze things too much, just take it one day at a time. I know that sounds like a cliche' but when I really practice "one day at a time" living, life seems to go better. Don't beat yourself up about the past, it's over. And don't worry so much about the future, it hasn't arrived yet. Just try to do the right things today.
Old 12-10-2011, 09:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
instant

It takes time to sort it all out. I was all over the place emotionally for several months. It might help if you find ways to occupy your time.
Old 12-11-2011, 03:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Don't think of yourself as a loser. What are you really losing out on by not drinking? Also, rejoice that you're not hungover this morning. Another night without drinking, another victory and positive point in your life. I'm at 14 days right now. It's slow going but the days do add up. I'm looking forward to being at 30 days, 60 days, etc. You're at 8 days now so you're at a great start. Keep building on it.
Old 12-11-2011, 05:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for the support everyone.

Zebra-- thank you for that advice about not dwelling on the past. Sometimes my mind chooses to do that and the only thing it does is make me feel crappy. I'm glad I am alive another day to make it all right.

OneSpark-- slow going it is. I feel like I've been sober for longer than 9 days.

Today has just begun. I am having a glorious morning and beginning to my 9th day. Thanks guys! The effort to abstain is most worth it for how great I feel in the morning. I am a morning person and love watching the sun come up.
Old 12-11-2011, 05:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

It took me about a year to get over the "It's Friday night" (or saturday night) tendency to want to use. I mean, what kind of crazy thinking was that...um, it's a paraticular day of the week, shouldn't I go get stupid and put my life in danger? Lol.

I guess it's NOT thinking, it's habit, and habits take time to change. But they change if we consciously choose to do something else. I am not talking about replacing one addiction with another, just taking advantage of the new clarity of mind and free time to try out something new.

Some weekends hanging out here is my something new, but I'm branching out. Most of the folks here seem to get relief from that weekend state of mind much sooner than a year, guess I'm a slow learner.
Old 12-11-2011, 09:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm on the exact same day as you Goldi. I can say I've never felt like this on a Sunday. I mean I'm tired because I stayed up late watching movies lol , but I am not hungover at all. The weekend has seemed so long because of all the time I have, that isn't spent writhing around in pain in my bed. I accomplished so many things yesterday that usually would never get done on a weekend. I guess the biggest thing I accomplished was not drinking
Old 12-11-2011, 12:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

congratulations on 9 days Goldi
Give yourself the chance to build a new life, new friendships etc - you're doing great

D
Old 12-11-2011, 01:17 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Threshold View Post
It took me about a year to get over the "It's Friday night" (or saturday night) tendency to want to use. I mean, what kind of crazy thinking was that...um, it's a paraticular day of the week, shouldn't I go get stupid and put my life in danger? Lol.

I guess it's NOT thinking, it's habit, and habits take time to change. But they change if we consciously choose to do something else. I am not talking about replacing one addiction with another, just taking advantage of the new clarity of mind and free time to try out something new.
- great post Threshold!

- you're doing great Goldi...keep it up! Just stay focused & keep chipping away at it 1 day at a time.
Old 12-11-2011, 11:01 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Rough Sunday, but I didnt drink so I guess it could have been worse. Having trouble sleeping though, the anxiety is really bad. I am so glad it is past legal selling time (1am). I wish I could sleep but my mind keeps running in circles.

Gonna give it another go. Thanks for reading.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:16 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

"Craving it" LOL To the best of my knowledge, there is no true physical dependency on alcohol like there is with narcotics/nicotine. I do know about serotonin spikes and such.

I think what you are experiencing is simply the fact that it's been 8 days, alcohol is out of your system, you're feeling good, blood is flowing, heart is pumping strong, brain is clear, you can take in a big breath of air and say "Life is Great, damn having a nice, cold frosty beer would be good".

I know..I'm over 2 months in and had this same feeling yesterday. But very quickly remembered where alcohol got me and the realization that I never want to go back!!

So, you're normal :-) You're doing great...stick with it! That craving for drinkers is like a trigger for smokers; FIND SOMETHING ELSE TO DO WHEN ONE HITS! I play video games or call a friend or take a shower...anything to get your mind on a different train of thought and soon, you'll be surprised at how quickly the thought fades.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:15 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Day 10 a success and much easier than the last two days. Just wanted to check in with that because I am proud . As always, thanks for reading and thank you for all of the support!