Notices

Sleep

Old 12-02-2011, 04:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sleep

I've read a lot of posts about people being restless and having insomnia after quitting drinking. When I quit...the complete opposite happened. I slept more deeply and more soundly and even wanted naps during the day. I had trouble keeping my head up in class (probably because a hangover wasn't pounding it!)

What are your experiences as far as quitting and sleep?
Old 12-02-2011, 04:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CriticalMass View Post
I've read a lot of posts about people being restless and having insomnia after quitting drinking. When I quit...the complete opposite happened. I slept more deeply and more soundly and even wanted naps during the day. I had trouble keeping my head up in class (probably because a hangover wasn't pounding it!)

What are your experiences as far as quitting and sleep?
Complete insomnia for 3-4 days.
Old 12-02-2011, 04:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Insomnia for 2 weeks, averaging 2-4 hours of sleep each night. My doctor recommended melatonin and it REALLY helped but anyone thinking of using it should first consult their doctor.
Old 12-02-2011, 04:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I had bad sleep for a few weeks but it evened out and now I sleep pretty well.
Old 12-02-2011, 05:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
c49
Its time for bed

I've had it go both ways lol.

Both had their pros and cons but I really like the quality sleep I get these days
Old 12-02-2011, 05:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Like RV I had complete insomnia for 3 days or so...but I was terrified I was going to die.

After that sleep slowly but steadily improved to the point where I generally sleep like a baby now - after 10 years of insomnia which I assumed was permanent but I guess was alcohol related
Old 12-02-2011, 05:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Nothing brings on a solid 'sleep' like a solid nightcap. Not exactly a recommendation, but it was a bit different without it.

I had pretty sporadic sleep patterns for a few days. I'd get tired as hell around noon, take a nap, go to bed at 10pm and wake up at 2am, etc.

I'm unemployed right now, for better or for worse, but at least it helped with the sleep. I basically just "rolled with it"; I'd go to sleep when I was tired and I'd get up when I woke up.

Didn't end up being that big of a deal. After a week or so, I had mostly reset to equilibrium.
Old 12-02-2011, 05:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
~sb

Everyone is Different, which is why we seek medical professionals!

I love sleeping! I watch it as it can be another escape.
Old 12-02-2011, 05:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Re-Member

I quit smoking 3 packs a day at the same time as quitting my 30 plus units of drinking per day. Now I am older than most here but I had insomnia where I lacked all sleep for a couple of weeks. But then I got my days and nights mixed up. I slept OK, just not at night. That lasted 6 months but being retired didn't affect anything.
Old 12-02-2011, 06:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I too have had issues with sleeping for years. I knew alcohol wasn't doing me in favors in that department (nor my depression) but I did it anyway. I quit drinking 3 weeks ago and feel my sleep quality is much better. I also feel clearer and less tired during the day and love not wanting to crawl into bed at 7 after a couple of drinks, being too depressed to do anything else. I am grateful to be off the stuff. I'm new to this forum. It's pretty awesome.