Notices

Has it really been a week?

Old 11-27-2011, 04:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Talking Has it really been a week?

Last Sunday morning, woke up with yet another hangover and said this is it. Now it is one whole week and I have not had a drink. The first few days were ugly - headaches, a little nausea, and just so exhausted. But I made it through. It wasn't too bad for cravings either - just yesterday I really wanted to go out and "have something to eat". Like food with several glasses of wine which would lead to stopping off for more wine on the way home ...

So I just stayed home.
Old 11-27-2011, 05:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good for you, Version2!!

Just remember a little saying that I like from SR- Just keep doing the next right thing!
hugs
chicory
Old 11-27-2011, 05:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad that you're feeling well!
Old 11-27-2011, 06:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Version2. Congratulations on your full week sober. here's your Happy Dance. My experience is that it got better physically in week 2 mentally week3. You're doing great. Happy your here and in our November 2011 Class
Old 11-27-2011, 06:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congratulations! You are one day ahead of me:0 Keep doing what your doing, it will pay off!
Old 11-27-2011, 08:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congrats V

I totally understand the "little something to eat, with some wine". I was like that too in early recovery. I'm a total foodie and in early recovery the thought of not having wine with meals was beyond me - this will get better. Hell, I just did 5 days in Montreal and got to pick a restaurant each night and it was fantastic...without wine!! I still got to enjoy the food, in all it's glory, and I felt fantastic in the morning to take on a great brekkie .

Good for you though in recognizing what you were capable of at that moment...that's what it's all about.

Big Hug
Old 11-27-2011, 08:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. This board is my lifeline. I know I need help and I'm not ashamed of that. And so many posts and responses that are written for other people feel like they are meant for me. So much support.

Debsam, you voiced my thoughts exactly. I love to cook, love to eat, and enjoy my wines. I fear never being able to have that again but I clearly am not able to stop at one glass. It's not about enhancing the taste - it's about oblivion. Not what great vintners had in mind.

Tigger, that's great news about week 2 and week 3. Week 1 was all about getting to today. and I do need goals to work towards. So, 14 days and then 21 days.

Been also thinking about AA. Very nervous about getting more public about my problem. I figure I need it but am not quite ready.
Old 11-27-2011, 08:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am right there with you, debsam and version2. My job is food, selling it and giving advice about cooking and growing it. I have also worked in wine festivals where it was my job to pair food and wines. Drinking was/is a huge part of my life and job. I am trying to figure out how to rework my life now. Just keep strong.

I too am struggling with the idea of AA. I want to go but am scared.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:08 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Version2,

Congratulations on hitting seven days. Great job.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:12 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Debsam,

Your post was just what I needed to read today and probably will keep rereading. Love being reminded that we can enjoy life and good food (I'm a foodie too) without wine and drink. Thank you so much for your posting. Keep up the great job!
Old 11-27-2011, 01:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

congratulations version2

D
Old 11-27-2011, 03:08 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

V & V ~ so glad my post helped. Alcohol took a lot of things from me, but I wasn't about to let it take my passion for food away any longer...it had taken enough.

I eventually came to terms with it and you both will too. I started cooking again and reading those cooking magazines I had let pile up. My family and friends not only wanted me well, but they missed me in the kitchen whipping up something delicious for us all to share.

This is just another example of how we think we are the "only one" worrying about something like this but you're not. I get it!

A nice glass of sparkling water with a fresh slice of lime is working just fine for me my friends
Old 11-27-2011, 03:24 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Oh and forgot to mention ~ to mark my 8 months sober (as of last night), today I bought myself a massive framed print of Paris and mounted it on my wall in front of my bed, because I'm going to make plans to get my butt to Paris and EAT my way through it
Old 12-02-2011, 12:26 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Congratulations!
Old 12-02-2011, 07:21 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Version2,

Congratulations on your sobriety! Keep it up! I am glad you found us. I love this place!