Administrator

way to go guys

D
Old 12-19-2011, 11:26 PM
  # 323 (permalink)  

Still here on day 12.
Old 12-20-2011, 01:07 AM
  # 324 (permalink)  

The December group is getting bigger and bigger... Yeeeaaah...Welcome to new Decembrians

Stay strong

Hugs and love to all!

M.
Old 12-20-2011, 01:47 AM
  # 325 (permalink)  

Hi,

This is Day 2 for me proper, have been reading stuff on this site for a while and came to the conclusion after my birthday on the 12th that at 48 I need a change in lifestyle. Drinking is doing me no good and works against my attempts to get out of depression and insomnia.

Please count me in.

Regards

Sruart12
Old 12-20-2011, 02:22 AM
  # 326 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome Stuart12

D
Old 12-20-2011, 08:42 AM
  # 327 (permalink)  

Day 20

I didn't post last night since I went to bed early. I am still only averaging about 6 hours of sleep per night, but last night I was able to get 8.5 hours and I feel great this morning. Went to the grocery store yesterday and did not even think about getting wine. I picked up some green tea instead.

I am going out to dinner tommorow for the first time since I stopped drinking. The friend I am going with is a non-drinker so it should be pretty easy. The only challenge will be on the ride home, but I am already imagining it, and it should not be an issue.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:51 AM
  # 328 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ellen36 View Post
As far as my own situation, NewWay--yes, I ordered the book you are reading along with 4 others this weekend. From your last post I am hoping I can grasp this stuff, especially with my half-pickled mind. I will give it a chance, though. Glad you are doing so well! That is great!

I have some kid-free days coming up as they go stay with family. It was arranged before now, but it comes at a good time. I want to take advantage of the opportunity to focus on sobriety and myself. It is really hard to do with while "keeping it together" in front of kids. It also seems that just as I sit down to read encouraging stuff or even get on this site, someone needs something or just wants to tell me something. I know I'll be a better mom if I can conquer this.
I am glad that you ordered that book. Don't worry Trimpey makes the technique very easy to understand and comprehend. You will have no problem with it. The couple of chapters on the brain just basically states that there is a part of you in your brain that still wants to drink, but there is another part that does not, and the part that does not, has control over the part that does. I am looking forward to getting your take on it.

Glad that you have some time to devote solely to yourself. I think that is very important. I hope you are doing well.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:58 AM
  # 329 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stuart12 View Post
Hi,

This is Day 2 for me proper, have been reading stuff on this site for a while and came to the conclusion after my birthday on the 12th that at 48 I need a change in lifestyle. Drinking is doing me no good and works against my attempts to get out of depression and insomnia.

Please count me in.

Regards

Sruart12
Hi Stuart, I am 45 and just starting this journey as well (Day 20). I wish I could have quit permanently earlier in my life, but I was never ready. I feel ready now that I am middle-aged. We both can do this.
Old 12-20-2011, 11:26 AM
  # 330 (permalink)  

Has a nice ring to it. Day one and I'm in the class. Very happy to be here.
Old 12-20-2011, 01:22 PM
  # 331 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome Haon

D
Old 12-20-2011, 01:25 PM
  # 332 (permalink)  

I am at day 25 so I think I belong here?
Old 12-20-2011, 01:34 PM
  # 333 (permalink)  

I was day 20 until Saturday, so I guess I'm in this class too...
Old 12-20-2011, 01:58 PM
  # 334 (permalink)  

Got a good lashing over at Family and Friends. Some things they said were very hurtful and made me angry and made me cry. Honestly, though, I might have needed to hear some of it. I wouldn't necessarily recommend posting over there, though, although it is helpful to see the damage drinkers like us cause our loved ones.

I have been thinking all day about the feedback I got there. I made some people angry with my insensitivity, I think. I never meant to be insensitive. The tough words I got made me sit back and notice, though. I have been selfish with this addiction. I have hurt the people I love the most. That has become more real to me today. I have added motivation to press on with sobriety.

I realize that sometimes the love on these forums isn't what I need. I need to hear the bare truth. Toughness. I have love from my kids and husband. Maybe some of you can relate. It's like you've lost your mind and someone comes up and slaps you to shake you out of it. Don't know if I'm making sense....

I think I finished my last goodbyes to alcohol. As much as I have been attached to it, it has been extremely hurtful to have in my life. Goodbye to the good and the bad. There is still a little good that I have to grieve. The bad outweighs it by so much, though.
Old 12-20-2011, 02:20 PM
  # 335 (permalink)  
Administrator

There's a reason why we have different forums...there's no right or wrong perspectives but certainly there are different ones.

I get a lot out of our FF forums, but I'd agree if it's upsetting you, it's probably best to stay here for now Ellen

D
Old 12-20-2011, 02:42 PM
  # 336 (permalink)  
Meow

I got accepted into a trial study for an on-line self help program through Smart Recovery. I browsed through it already and it looks interesting. I'm not interested in going the AA route, but having done something similar with anxiety (taped self help course) I think this can be extremely helpful for me.

http://www.behaviortherapy.com/SRwebcourse.htm

(((Ellen)))
Old 12-20-2011, 03:17 PM
  # 337 (permalink)  
Administrator

I know a lot of people have found that useful - I hope you will too PC

D
Old 12-20-2011, 04:39 PM
  # 338 (permalink)  
Meow

Thanks, Dee.

When I beat anxiety, one of the things that helped was telling myself that it was only anxiety and that it would go away. Now, that took some training, but it did work extremely well in the end.

When I quit smoking, I told myself the cravings would go away - and that worked, because they did.

I'm not physically craving alcohol (thankfully) but the mental aspect of it is very strong for me. However, when the thought comes I tell myself to knock it off, that I don't need it. It works.

My downfall is and will continue to be overconfidence. The I can handle this syndrome, where you have a few here, a few there and the next thing you know it's back to daily drinking. I am hoping this program will give me the tools to avoid that by changing the way I think about alcohol and helping me face what I am avoiding when I drink.

Old 12-20-2011, 05:04 PM
  # 339 (permalink)  

Time to take the bull by the horns

I've tried this before but probably not with full idea of being sober..

I've been sober since 12/11/11 and I hope to keep that going one day at a time.. Looking forward to keping up with the threads and reading success stories to keep me focused on staying sober.. I'm having withdrawl symptoms but each day gets better and I feel better.. Here's to everyone dedicated to getting sober starting in December..!
Old 12-20-2011, 05:20 PM
  # 340 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome madtown

D