Notices

Relapse..the longest ever

Old 11-28-2011, 11:59 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

stevie88
You are doing really very well. You even quit smoking. Well you are true hero.
I will prepare myself for the big day. Will start gradually by not drinking for 3 days. Since there are so many parties coming, this is not the best time to quit.
But next 3 days I will live sober. Will get a list of things to be done in the evening and weekend.
I have noticed since I drink I barely can make any decisions. I can't decide even small things, for example, when buying a present. Do you think its because of too much booze?
Old 11-28-2011, 01:01 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Healthyfood View Post
stevie88
You are doing really very well. You even quit smoking. Well you are true hero.
I will prepare myself for the big day. Will start gradually by not drinking for 3 days. Since there are so many parties coming, this is not the best time to quit.
But next 3 days I will live sober. Will get a list of things to be done in the evening and weekend.
I have noticed since I drink I barely can make any decisions. I can't decide even small things, for example, when buying a present. Do you think its because of too much booze?
Hi Healthy,

Many of us tried to be 'normal drinkers' and found we couldn't. Many of us set ourselves rules, and broke them. I used to try and limit how much I drank by only keeping one days worth of booze in the house, because if I had any more, I'd drink that too; and I'd still get in my car, drunk, and go and get some more.

Alcoholism is progressive and for many of us it progresses so slowly, increment by increment, that we hardly notice the increase in our consumption till it's way too late.

I personally think you're going to learn that total abstinence is the only way, only you're going to learn the hard way.
Old 11-28-2011, 01:03 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

There is only one really good way for you to learn the answer to your question, and I think you know what it is.
Old 11-28-2011, 01:04 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Old 11-28-2011, 01:09 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thank you all for your posts. Im not sure now where to start. I don't want to be the one who quits forever. I want it to be under control. Rather than drinking everyday, enjoy it with friends at the party.
This is the crossroads everyone here faces healthyfood. It took me 20 years to realise I'm just not that person who can drink normally or have it under control.

Alcohol - of whatever kind or type - changes me and I lose control.

I had to accept that's the way it is and it will never change.

Please don't take 20 years like I did.

I drink only white wine. I think my first step is not to buy it. EVER. Switch to red which I hate. So but then I will not enjoy that much. What do you think?
White wine is not your problem - your relationship with alcohol is.
Red wine is not a solution, it's just a variant on the type of alcohol.

I tried all kinds of liquor, beer, wines - some I *really* hated...but I found I still loved getting drunk.

Ditch this idea. Please.

Also how is it possible to find the root of the problem I have that makes me want to drink so much.
I wanted to find out the whys too. But all the time I kept searching I kept drinking.

The first step in dealing with a bad relationship with alcohol is not actually to find out why - it's to remove alcohol from the equation, HF.

I know it's scary, and it's not fair, and you're clinging desperately to a hope that you're not one of us....

but I promise you there's a better life out there for you...and it's within your grasp...all you have to do is quit drinking

It's a leap of faith - but you're not alone. There's hundreds of people here alongside you. I hope you decide to make that leap

D
Old 11-28-2011, 03:23 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

When I was still drinking I tried switching to brands I hated, hoping that I would cut down, but I found that I just ended up gaining a taste for whatever I switched to.
Old 11-28-2011, 04:04 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

You don't have to be the one who quits forever. I seldom run across a person like that anyway.

If you can just manage to not drink for right now that's enough. And it's always right now.
Old 11-28-2011, 04:14 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

@mwstylee

I'm in the same boat. Tried to stop just for today but withdrawals were too much and I gave in...just went to the store for a bottle fo Stoli.

Using alcohol, to solve a problem (withdrawal) caused by alcohol is not going to work. One definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over, expecting different results. Next time go to a Doctor or the ER, they can help you with the physical effects of withdrawal.
Old 12-21-2011, 11:48 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Dee74

Thank you for your post. I love it. I have again big thinking to do.
Old 12-21-2011, 12:47 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Stay strong HF, I'm rooting for you...
Old 12-21-2011, 01:24 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Healthyfood View Post
...big thinking to do.
What's to think about, HF? Quit thinking and quit drinking.