Notices

Just joined

Old 11-27-2011, 08:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just joined

Hi everyone: This is all little overwhelming but thought I will just put something out there and let everyone know that I don't like having the bottle of wine every night and waking up angry at the world. How does this forum work to help us. Do I just start posting and see what happens. I am looking for informative posts as to how the community helps one another. Thanks
Old 11-27-2011, 09:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Journeying!

You did great - and you posted in the Newcomers section, which is where most people post. There's really no right or wrong way, except to jump in and introduce yourself, which you did.....

It sounds like you're tired of the vicious cycle - I can certainly relate to that. I drank a bottle of wine most nights at the end, too. I came here because I wanted to want to stop, if that makes sense. I've been sober since (about 19 months). It terrified me to think about giving up drinking, but it's the best thing I ever did.

Keep reading/posting - just make yourself at home. The support here is what makes the difference, just knowing we're not alone and getting help and inspiration from other who are going through the same thing.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome Journeying. I've been sober 7 days. Was terrified at first. I too drank a bottle of wine every day. And was sorry and ashamed the next morning. After 7 days, I am sleeping better - actually sleeping, not passing out and waking up 3 hours later. My head is more clear. And I feel proud of myself. Not something I was expecting.

Welcome.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Journeying. I'm 25 days sober and came here for the same reason. Too much wine and not enjoying it anymore. Tired of focusing more on when I was going to drink next.

Welcome. I've found that posting here has helped me not drink. Welcome again.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

To me the easiest way to get started here is to do what you did, post in Newcomers. Some of the other forums are really slow and it can be discouraging waiting for a reply if you need one straight away.
If you pay attention the to amount of posts in a specific forum (like Special Interests, for example) it'll be helpful to know if you can get more out of a different one, like Substance Abuse or another one.
It's been really beneficial to me to stick to this forum as it's busy, there's heaps of different kind of posts from people, I can find the answer to most anything I'm looking for here --- and I am a brand new poster who's only replied so far. Testing the waters so to speak - am scared to death to post about myself right now so I admire your courage and everyone elses too :-)
Write write and write some more....just the act of typing and getting stuff out of your own head is a really good start.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sept 30, 2010

What worked for me was joining a group of people starting out the same way I was. Here is a link to the November 2011 group:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-pt-2-a-6.html

Also I would log into SR and read, read, read..... Good luck in your decision Journeying, you will not regret.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Welcome Journeying

I think you will find great comfort here. Good job on realizing you want a better life.

Like all have said keep comin on reading and posting. And if you feel there are always a group of in the chat room. So come on in and talk if you feel.
Old 11-27-2011, 01:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Journeying

Read around a little and it should soon be pretty clear how the community helps one another

You'll find a lot of support here - good to have you with us!

D
Old 11-27-2011, 02:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks -

WOW you guys are wonderful - Thanks for all of your supportive comments. I on way to Grey Cup Party in about an hour - plan on taking four perriers with me - but I know there will be lots of wine and beer - and I will be tempted. Any suggestions?? Also - do any of you have opinions or experience with taking herbal remedies to reduce cravings. I have been reading alot about them and not sure if it just a sales job to sell their product - or whether they really help.
Old 11-27-2011, 02:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Testing to see if my signature shows up when I post
Old 11-27-2011, 02:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have no experience with herbal remedies.

Cravings can be difficult to deal with but far from impossible to beat - personally I'd be careful with your money.

I stayed away from social events that centred around alcohol for a while...I think that's generally good advice Journeying.

If you must go, be prepared for what you're going to say when someone offers you a drink, and have an escape plan if things gets too much.

D
Old 11-27-2011, 02:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
~sb

pistachio nuts help. tea with lemon & honey. complex carbohydrates are better than pure sugars.
Old 11-27-2011, 04:48 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

How to get thru cravings? Try doing something, anything else for 5 to 10 minutes. Keep food handy. Sometimes to just the act of drinking anything helps with the habit of hand to mouth. For me - I know any craving will pass within 10 minutes, max. I eat/drink. Then move on and do the same thing when it happens again.
btw - I also try to stay away from the candy/sugar stuff. Seems to make it worse. A piece of cheese, a slice of sandwich meat, Dannon Strawberry yogurt (yum), cashews, gum if nothing else. Pizza, if I'm lucky. :-)
Good luck at your party!
Old 11-27-2011, 05:38 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome!
Old 11-27-2011, 05:49 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

welcome
Old 11-27-2011, 06:15 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Journeying View Post
WOW you guys are wonderful - Thanks for all of your supportive comments. I on way to Grey Cup Party in about an hour - plan on taking four perriers with me - but I know there will be lots of wine and beer - and I will be tempted. Any suggestions?? Also - do any of you have opinions or experience with taking herbal remedies to reduce cravings. I have been reading alot about them and not sure if it just a sales job to sell their product - or whether they really help.
Do you have an escape plan for the party if the temptation becomes too much. Or better yet, is there a way you can avoid this event all together until you get a little more sobriety under your belt?
Old 11-27-2011, 07:50 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

An escape plan needs wheels! Wheels that you can control. Don't put yourself in the position of depending on someone else who wants to continue "partying" well after you want to split. You might in an emergency call a cab but you would be making yourself conspicuous.
The best "escape" is not to go in the first place, until you've built up some sobriety time. Hang out on this SR. This joint is strictly policed by expert, experienced moderators to keep you safe and sober!

W.
Old 11-27-2011, 07:56 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome! I am really new here too and the support has been amazing.
Old 11-27-2011, 08:05 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. I hope the Perrier was enough. If not, then I hope you dust yourself off tomorrow and start anew. I put some parts of my social life on hold for a while in early sobriety, avoiding parties, pubs, concerts, etc. until I felt comfortable and confident in my recovery. I can be around alcohol without a problem now, but in those early days, I steered clear of temptation.

Glad you found us!
Old 11-27-2011, 08:10 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Smile Thanks Everyone - four bottles of perrier later and ginger tea

No so bad - the grey cup game was great - too much food - but not alot of drinking and most everyone was drinking beer - I not much for beer . So enjoyed my perrier and a lovely ginger tea - - it was a quieter event than I had thought - so that made it easier - Day one down and out- and I am sure it was because I am in communication with all of you. I really appreciate and hope I can be of help in return. You are all 'tens' in my book.

Have a great evening and a great sleep - funny how everything seems to come together - needed to know to stay away from sweets as well - as often when I have been drinking I can come home and eat a whole box of graham wafers - that doesn't help with the weight or the confidence - actually a little self hatred appears and that is not good.

Hope I can find you all tomorrow. Nite.