Notices

Biggest Party of the Year

Old 11-24-2011, 10:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Biggest Party of the Year

Last night was the biggest party night of the year. I'm a bartender, it's what I do. College kids were home and partying hard, I'm just happy to be keeping busy and making $. Nearing the end of the night I whispered to a friend who helps out with stuff at closing, that I all of a sudden thought I could use a drink. He blurted out "NO WAY". My head cranked around like a puppet and I barked back "yes, but I"M NOT " yea, I had a moment when I honestly did have the voices telling me to make myself a drink and chillax for the last part of the crazy night I endured....But I was on edge and resented him for trying to tell me what to do....He apologized and said he knew how I felt. Then I really got upset...."No, YOU don't know how I feel"....I didn't want to get into it then, but if you aren't an Alcoholic going through the steps to quit, then, no, you don't know how we feel....
I guess while trying to be strong brings the b**** out in me.
Today is Day 17 and the crabby stuff has mellowed out today. I'm all ready for my guests coming for Thanksgiving, and I've given myself time to go for a 4 mile run and a long shower. Happy Thanksgiving SR friends!
Old 11-24-2011, 11:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sounds like you have a very good friend. I've had non-alcoholic buddies tell me I should lighten up and allow myself a drink now and then. Seems to me your friend knows the most important thing...

Have a great Thanksgiving—and congrats on 17 days.
Old 11-24-2011, 11:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Glad you had your friend there to help you out. Last night was hard for me too (I'm a server). It was getting to the end of the night and the owner bought all the employees shots for thanksgiving. I declined, felt a little isolated, but still I was happy to have another day of sobriety under my belt. Thanks for posting, congrats on day 17 and have a great thanksgiving
Old 11-24-2011, 11:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

That is awesome , and enjoy the Thanksgiving now.

I totally relate with you i bartended and served for many years . It is so nice to not be hung over on thanksgiving or any other day for that matter.

Old 11-24-2011, 11:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
instant

Knowing when our reserves are depleted and having something we can do about it rather than drink seems to be part of what we have to learn.

We can get cornered by the demands of life sometimes , they are the tricky ones.

"winding down" I have discovered does occur without alcohol, but it is a bit slower, but I get out of the work situation. Perhaps playing opera loud after the bar has closed might help (rule 62)