Notices

Asking for help

Old 11-22-2011, 11:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Asking for help

I cannot control my drinking, despite my best efforts to try. I know I am "supposed to" ask for help, but I feel like I'm not the kind of person to, say, call somebody when I have a craving... I don't ask for help until it's too late.

Can any of you relate? If so, how did you get past this barrier?
Old 11-23-2011, 12:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I found posting here, reading around, and generally becoming a part of this community really helped me Seared.

If you feel self conscious about asking for help you could always look around and help someone else, that way you might feel more open to the idea of being helped yourself?

I could never ask for help either - I still struggle with it in many areas of my life - but I'm glad I did here - I really got a lot of great support and advice in return.

I used to be an all day every day drinker. I've been sober now since 2007 thanks to the help I've found here @ SR

D
Old 11-23-2011, 01:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My first true attempt to quit 15 years or so ago I felt the same way. I made one phone call for help in 5 months. After that I didn't call and relapsed. It took me 15 years to get back. I'm afraid of not asking for help. I don't think I could survive another 15 years.
Old 11-23-2011, 07:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Came to Believe

Seared, I've never been the kind of person who asks for help. I've also never been the kind of person who likes to admit when I'm wrong, deal with the wreckage of my past, be compassionate or loving, pray or believe in anything greater than myself....I've never been the kind of person who stays sober. Today I am. Nothing changes if nothing changes. I hope you find the willingness to do the things necessary to stay sober.

--Fenris.
Old 11-23-2011, 06:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Put me in the same boat for asking for help. But I got sick of being a slave to it and letting it control me. I took back the control and said enough!!!!! I picked up that phone and called my doctor and made a appt to see him and had a honest talk about my drinking. That's how I got the ball rolling. I drank for 30 years and it beat me up pretty bad but it was the best thing I did was call my doc and discussing a plan of action.

When you are ready to quit nothing will stand in your way Seared. Look into a solid program of recovery of some sort like AA/rehab/counseling/smart recovery program/life coach... and you will see how amazing sobriety is and to help you start your new life.

Best Wishes..
Old 11-23-2011, 06:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't like asking for help either.

I turned to books to help me and I found a lot of answers. And, I have been coming here to SR for years. It's a great place to learn and grow.
Old 11-23-2011, 07:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It is impossible to ask for help when you have not admitted anything to anyone. That is where I am at. I just finally this week (after a 15 year addiction) admitted to this site and my Dr. I have lurked on this site for sooo long and finally admitting was such a load off.

I know keeping booze out of the house will help, and giving myself things to do. Don't get me wrong, I have lots to do (I have two monsters, I mean children! ) but planning to-do items each day helps me sometimes.
Old 11-23-2011, 07:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Most people including myself have a hard time asking for help. For me asking for help made the problem too real. There was still a small part of me that wanted to believe one day I could control the drinking. There was also the part of me like most people who just felt uncomfortable with it. It's a ver intimate thing to do. But it takes a very strong and humble person to admitt they need help and that's what I have to keep telling myself.

In my opinion just coming here is asking. Maybe at some point you'll get so used to it here that you will learn to do it face to face with a trusted friend??? Whatever the case I wish you all the best!
Old 11-24-2011, 01:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

miami

because your questions were more about you, and because Seared's already made it clear he has no interest in AA, I though it best to start you a new thread....

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...g-help-aa.html

D