Notices

Can I do this without AA?

Old 11-18-2011, 04:56 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

E-

I did not go to meeting and I have been sober for about 14 months. I still consider myself sort of a newbie to sobriety, but I can tell you that I really have no cravings for alcohol any more. I have been down that path, and seen the destruction that it leads me to personally. I used this website as a guide and also I started seeing a therapist which helped me out. I also know that AA is there for me if I ever need it which is reassuring. Good luck on your journey.
Old 11-18-2011, 05:05 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Eliasson, I too am truly sorry to hear about your son. You have a lot to deal with and you are a true inspiration to so many of us. We are all here for you.

I don't attend AA meetings (anymore) but I've become and avid reader and I find this really helps as "part" of my plan. I really enjoyed Craig Ferguson's "American on Purpose" book - his story and his battle with alcoholism...with a bit of comic relief...just a thought.

Sending you a big hug
Old 11-19-2011, 02:44 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Eliasson,

As others have said you truly are an inspiration with all that is on your plate.

I can only make a meeting once a week, I would like to do more.
I feel though that I would increase my chance of sobriety by working the program more and that can be done from home. I think people who just go to meetings every day and not work the program have less of a chance of staying sober than one who does less meetings but works the program.

CaiHong
Old 11-19-2011, 11:09 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Same here....8 months sober and only been to 4 meetings tops....
Old 11-19-2011, 11:11 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Same here..............8 months sober and only been to 4 meetings...
Old 11-19-2011, 11:30 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Have you been applying the program of AA in your recovery? I know you said you went to meetings, but have you been reading the book, working with a sponsor away from meetings?

Not being able to make it to many meetings is no reason why you cannot work the AA program. Meetings are not a requirement.

Where are you in the Big Book? Have you done a study, or your steps?

If you cannot make it to many meetings, build a solid phone list of recovered women in AA. Call them daily. We don't have to, we get to. It is a gift to have sober women in your life that will guide you along the way.

Reach out.
Old 11-20-2011, 02:46 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I'm very into AA, do about 4-5 meetings a week, have a sponsor, am working the steps, etc etc. However, I don't believe that AA is the only path to recovery. Plenty of people on here have got and stay sober by other means.

It is important to remember that for those of us in AA, it is easy to fall into the trap of thinking that AA is the only way. If we see someone come to a few meetings, then we don't see them again, we tend to assume they are back out drinking, even if we have no evidence to support that. We also tend to only spend time with other recovering people who are also in AA, strengthening this belief.

It is what science would call anecdotal evidence. This site has helped me to constantly try to avoid falling into this trap. Nowhere in any official literature does it state that AA is the only way.

AA works for me and I love it but I am constantly inspired by people who find other paths. Beware the "AA is THE way" camp. They just mean "AA is MY way".
Old 11-20-2011, 03:26 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Hi there,

I am in a recovery program. AA. It helps, sometimes i wish I were doing something entirely different, and get annoyed and angry that I have to spend time in these rooms, but other times, I feel that it has really straightened my out in a big way. There is no chance of this happening if I have no support at all. i will relapse. This is speaking from painful experience. My ego is a very stubbrun opponent indeed. Gud luck
Old 11-20-2011, 04:02 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Random Guy

First of all sorry to hear about your families problems all that is a heavy load I am sure.

Second thank you for starting this post, I am in the same boat as switchboard only at the very very begining... if even there yet. So it helps to hear from so many that it is possible without a support group or program though I imagine that the lack of these can't make it easier. Were I in a place where I could I would definetly consider attending one just to see what it is like if nothing else. That and it couldn't hurt.