Notices

Headaches...

Old 11-14-2011, 07:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Non-Zoroastrian

Headaches...

Hey all... getting those evening head aches and neck pains, not terrible just annoying. I used to take vicodin for a variety of other old injuries, ended up abusing those for years but no long take them now (of course they worked great for hangovers!) But since I decided to no longer punish my liver, anyone have any suggestions on a safer pain killer (non-narcotic) for dealing with this? I'm staying completely away from acetaminophen based products, not sure how safe ibuprofen is but that does seem to help.

Any suggestions from your experiences appreciated!
Old 11-14-2011, 07:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yoga can really help strengthen your upper back and neck.

But, I also use an ice pack and a hot pack.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Non-Zoroastrian

Yeah, the cold feels really good on it but a few minutes after I take it off, it comes back. Like I said, not a major concern to me, just annoying... I've had many worse pains in my life!
Old 11-14-2011, 07:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
capra laeviculus

Hm... headaches and neck pains....

Sounds like me a few years ago!

The chiropractor took care of it quite well for me!

-Goat
Old 11-14-2011, 07:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Non-Zoroastrian

Been to about 6 different chiropractors in the last 20 years, all methods and results the same (no relief) and I won't go back! 3 bulged discs (L3, L4 and L5,) torn right posterior cruciate ligament, torn right rotator cuff and bursitis in hip... so a bit of a headache and neck pain aren't my biggest concern, just annoying!
Old 11-14-2011, 12:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well, I have one right now and this is day three. My Addict voice is telling me, "well what the hell, if you're going to feel like shiz you may as well be hung over." That's why we aren't friends anymore. LOL I take Ibuprofin and it seems to usually help but I found also that mine tend to be sinus so I usually will take a Benadryl but it makes some sleepy. You could talk to your doc. There a lot of non-narcotic pain releavers out there.
Old 11-14-2011, 12:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I call my migrans.. on one side, behind the eye, temple and neck. No amount of meds makes it go away. Usually takes 3 days. I like the yoga Idea, never tried it though. I dont know if this an alcoholic think or not. I get them on lenghts of sobriety and booze makes it worse.
Old 11-14-2011, 12:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Non-Zoroastrian

Yeah, I've probably been prescribed every known non-narcotic pain reliever to date for all the old cumulative injuries and while they were moderately effective at best, nothing really beat a narcotic to truly knock out all the pain. Of course we all know the down side to that! I'm taking ibuprofen right now, it helps a bit but I'm not truly pain free until I am sound asleep (at least physically) so right now valerian root is my best friend!