Notices

Introducing myself

Old 11-07-2011, 04:49 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Welcome Shamus! Best of luck to you and YES you can quit, forever and permanently. SR has been the bulwark of my support and success.
Old 11-07-2011, 03:20 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by instant View Post
Shamus I found that it was not until I tried to stop that I realised how tight that grip was. Understanding the phenomena of cravings and a bit of education helped (see Rational Recovery), but even so it was not easy to get a foothold on sobriety and maintain it.

Now I am a few months sober it is easier to see it for what it is- an addiction.
Day 1

Bought Rational Recovery today from Barnes & Noble
Old 11-07-2011, 03:32 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

congrats on day 1 Shamus

D
Old 11-07-2011, 03:53 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hi Shamus

Just wanted to say welcome. Alot of great advice here. Well done on the book buy and you never have to apologize for rabbling...that's what we're here for - we're all here for you. Congratulations on finding SR...lots of great peeps here
Old 11-07-2011, 03:55 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Shamus! It's wonderful you've joined us. SR helped me get sober after a lifetime of drinking. It was not feeling alone anymore that made all the difference.

I know what you mean about tolerance. When I drank my first beer it went right to my head. By the end of my drinking career, I could drink a 30-pack all by myself in a day (a small woman) and still be standing and lucid. No amount seemed to do the job in the end. Imagine what that does to our livers? I vowed to control it better so many times, and always failed spectacularly. Once I took that first drink all bets were off - I might have 3, but I might have 33. I was so thankful to get off the merry-go-round and stop being a slave to it.

Keep posting and tell us how it's going. You can do it!
Old 11-09-2011, 11:16 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Day 3. New habits? Going to bed early with a good book. Not much trouble avoiding beer or wine at a reception last night. But the Bushmills ad on a truck in the next lane over from me was hard to take my eyes off of.