Notices

Newbie Here

Old 11-08-2011, 05:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newbie Here

Hi, everyone. Newly sober after 15 years of heavy drinking. Today is my 6th day without a drink. I spent last weekend detoxing and go for outpatient assessment tomorrow. Not sure what to expect and as I am agnostic I don't think AA will be the thing for me. Whatever options I might have I figured it wouldn't hurt to have somewhere "to go" when I'm at home. Tonight is the first night I've really had cravings but haven't given in. I need to beat this. Looking forward to visiting with you all.
Old 11-08-2011, 05:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hey flamng! Doesn't it feel great to have that poison out of your system? I'm so glad you saw what had to be done and took action. We're so glad you joined us. This is a wonderful place.

I don't currently attend AA meetings, but as you said, it wouldn't hurt to try it. As they say, you can take what you need and leave the rest. For what it's worth, when I attended (court-ordered)AA meetings no one mentioned religion or God. I know the 'higher power' thing keeps many people away, when they could be benefiting from the overall message.

Sending love out to you - please keep reading and posting.
Old 11-08-2011, 05:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Pa**ot Momma

Welcome!

I am on day 8 today and it feels wonderful!! There are some pagan or at least non-christian related workbooks you can get. I will pull mine out; I don't remember the name. I know one is the Spiral Recovery and I have another that is a woman's recovery book and manual that I like a lot.

Good luck and congrats!
Old 11-08-2011, 05:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family and congrats on your sober days. That's a good start to a better life. Stick with us, we're very supportive here. :ghug3
Old 11-08-2011, 05:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

AA has plenty of agnostics or even atheists. Here is a good wiki article on one of AA's earliest members that was atheist or "militant agnostic" as he put it:

Jim Burwell - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 11-08-2011, 05:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you for the warm welcome!

Bitmap, I'd be interested in knowing more about the books you've found helpful. And thank you all. It's nice to have support.
Old 11-08-2011, 06:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome FRH

When I wanted to get sober I was open to anything...arm yourself with as much information and support as you can and you'll figure out what's for you..an open mind is really important.

Congrats on the 6 days - looks like you're off to a good start. We're all here to support you...you CAN have a better life.
Old 11-08-2011, 06:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR

D
Old 11-08-2011, 06:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!!!!
Old 11-08-2011, 08:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome Flaming. If you've been drinking heavy for 15 years you may be surprised what old opinions you discard. AA works very well and there is a very "wide door" on the whole god thing. Many agnostics have been able to find a HP in AA. You might give it a shot...

What do you have to lose? Congrats on 6 days btw!! It's not easy, I know first hand. One thing I've heard that I like is "if it were easy, everyone would have it"...

Keep up the good work!
Old 11-08-2011, 09:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome and congratulations on 6 days!

I had cravings off and on for a while and sometimes they just popped up out of nowhere. While they're uncomfortable, just remember they don't last forever. After being sober for a while, I recognized that any thought I had about drinking was just the addiction talking to me. It's get easier as you go along......

Glad you've joined us!
Old 11-08-2011, 09:37 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks, Artsoul. I had about an hour and a half between when my husband left for work and my daughter came home when I could have esaily run to the store to buy a bottle of vodka but I didn't. I guess it's still soon enough into my recovery that I haven't forgotten how awful it made me feel.
Old 11-09-2011, 05:15 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
~sb

You don't need anything but to believe your way doesn't work & the steps can. Drinking is slow suicide. Life is calling....
Old 11-09-2011, 11:03 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome and congrats on the 6 days!!!
Old 11-09-2011, 11:07 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome to Soberrecovery. I'm Walter by the way..
Old 11-09-2011, 11:16 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
MINEr

Welcome, and congrats on your road to sobriety. Keep in mind that the only requirement for AA membership is a desire to stop drinking. You will always be welcome, no matter your beliefs. Good luck.

camedown