Notices

I don't crave hard liquor anymore

Old 10-31-2011, 11:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I don't crave hard liquor anymore

I was just thinking the last time I had my last binge which was 3 weeks ago and was thinking what I was craving when drunk. The funny thing is that I don't crave hard liquor anymore. Which is weird because I would get drunk on Jim Bean most of 2009 and the only time I would drink beer if I didn't want to get drink too fast.

These days, the only thing I grave is beer if I go on my binge. I don't know why because I think it's a good step through the right direction. As in, wanting less and less of the alcohol content.
Old 10-31-2011, 11:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think alcohol is alcohol Act10n - thinking that any particular kind of alcohol is not as bad for you is pretty dangerous for guys like us.

I'd drink til I got wasted, pure and simple.

I drank all kinds of things - rum, wine, beer, vodka, mixed drinks - they all led me to the same place.

D
Old 11-01-2011, 12:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

About six weeks ago I went out on the town and I was really proud of myself because I stayed pretty steady by sticking only to beer.

But at the end of the night I added em up -- about sixteen (3.2) beers over eight hours or so. What I thought was moderation would destroy most people.

Be careful. Sounds like your addictive voice telling you if you stick to beer you'll be ok. Not true, at least for me.
Old 11-01-2011, 12:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ACT10Npack View Post
These days, the only thing I grave is beer if I go on my binge. I don't know why because I think it's a good step through the right direction. As in, wanting less and less of the alcohol content.
I hope my post above didn't seem to be dissuading. It can be a step in the right direction -- as three weeks later I decided to get sober. Good luck to you!
Old 11-01-2011, 12:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The only thing I ever drank was beer. A LOT of beer. And I drank it fast and I drank it for the effect. I drank till I slept/passed out. I drank it till I feel down. I drank it till I puked.

I have made a complete fool out of myself just by drinking plain old beer.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ACT10Npack View Post
These days, the only thing I grave is beer if I go on my binge.
I think your unintentional misspelling says a lot. I used to drink whiskey at 8 in the morning, then beer all day. I just needed the whiskey to kick things in.

I'm convinced if I hadn't of quit 22 months ago, that's exactly where I'd be-in the grave taking a dirt nap.

No alcohol is "better" than another. It's all the same, it all gets you drunk. If you're a real alcoholic, there are consequences that will inevitably come.

I hope you don't reach the bottom I did.

Best to you.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree, I think this is your addict voice telling you that this is okay.

Alcohol is alcohol.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

12oz of beer

or

5oz of Wine

or

1 1/2 oz of Spirits (Hard Liquor)

put the SAME amount of alcohol in our system. The amounts above EQUALLY raise your BAC by the same amount, and it takes 1 hour, and with alcoholics sometimes longer, to burn each one of those amounts off before having 'another'. Or your BAC rises and you become DRUNK.

There IS NO DIFFERENCE. Alcohol is alcohol.

I have to agree that is King Alcohol (the 'addictive' voice) trying to convince you to continue drinking.

J M H O

Love and hugs,
Old 11-01-2011, 10:14 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
One of the things that I have learned is that the presence or absence of desire is not always a very good indicator of progress. I prefer to stick to more concrete measurements, such as drinking versus not drinking.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:53 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I was not talking now I can't drink beer because I don't crave hard liquor. I think you don't understand I was talking about with post.

I was referring to that now I don't crave hard liquor. It will be easier for me to be hard people who drink it and not worry about craving a jack and coke.
Old 11-01-2011, 11:25 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
There is always the possibility that your tolerance has simply dropped temporarily as a result of a long stint of abstinence. It usually takes about two months for it to drop back to baseline levels. It could also be that you have caused enough damage to permanently lower your tolerance.
Old 11-01-2011, 11:52 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Oh.
Old 11-01-2011, 04:33 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

I understand what you meant act10n.

What people are trying to tell you is that thinking that you're craving beer now is some kind of an improvement just may be opening the door to some mental shenanigans in the not too distant future. y'know

If I was you, I wouldn't be hanging around any drinkers for a while - hard drinkers, beer drinkers Jack drinkers or whatever....it's too easy for thoughts to enter our head and sound good, IMO.

D

Last edited by Dee74; 11-01-2011 at 04:54 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 11-01-2011, 04:50 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Terminally Unique View Post
One of the things that I have learned is that the presence or absence of desire is not always a very good indicator of progress. I prefer to stick to more concrete measurements, such as drinking versus not drinking.
Sorry - this makes no sense
Old 11-01-2011, 05:26 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stride34 View Post
Sorry - this makes no sense
Just because someone does not desire hard liquor at the moment, but only beer, does not mean that they won't desire hard liquor later, after they had a few beers. In the more general sense, though, if someone says "I have no desire to drink/use," that doesn't tell me much. I always wonder "What if they did? What then? Are they saying that they would drink/use if the desire returned?"